Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Options
  • 13-01-2017 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlRN2YpxRE

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nintendo Treehouse Live with Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfphI2jxD_A

- 60fps, 1080p at all times when docked with 1 to 2 players
    - 30fps, 1080p when you have 3 to 4 players
    - two item slots
    - driver assist is an option to turn on/off and it keeps you from falling off ledges
    - portable mode runs 60fps, 720p
    - boo item returns
    - feather item returns
    - surprises in battle mode that won't be shown
    - Urchin Underpass is a battle map
    - Bob-omb blast is included in battle mode, where everyone picks up boxes with bombs, and you can carry up to 10
    - if you lose all your balloons, you still aren't out. It will mean your score from there on out is half of what it could be.
    - the longer you hold down the attack button, the further you can throw a bomb
    - you can play battle with AI bots or just against real-life players
    - you can also have 8 real-life players playing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I was sure I'd read or seen or heard that it'd have new courses and some additional old tracks that weren't in 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah I saw I a track based on splatoon so there're definitely new tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Yeah I saw I a track based on splatoon so there're definitely new tracks.

I believe that was a new battle arena. Not a new track.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, 4 new battle arenas.

Urchin Underpass
    Battle Stadium
    Battle Course 1 (SNES)
    Luigi's Mansion (GameCube)

Probably more via DLC later (if they're smart).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

Game Explain mention that Nintendo Japan mention that Deluxe will have all the tracks from the Wiiu Disk + the dlc tracks and no new tracks
    other than the battle mode, for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mariomaker

Way to Expensive @ €60.

Also, the Inkling amiibo unlock costumes.
    sZZV4Pn.jpg

This image was also reportedly found on Nintendo's Polish website which confirms that there's no new racing cups.
    unknown.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5pbnqo/mario_kart_8_deluxe_artwork_release_5_battle/

MARIO KART 8 DELUXE PRODUCER ON WHERE SWITCH'S EXTRA POWER CAME INTO PLAY, IMPROVED GYRO CONTROLS, DLC POSSIBILITIES

Coming from a Famitsu interview with Nintendo's Kosuke Yabuki

- Kosuke Yabuki worked on both Arms and Mario Kart 8 DX simultaneously.
    - Yabuki was very excited to make this version for Switch
    - Wanted to deliver a Mario Kart game immediately and not start from scratch.
    - Nintendo EPD used the extra power for 1080p/60fps on tv mode.
    - Yabuki says the extra ram allowed his team to experiment with holding multiple items at once. (all 12 characters can hold 2 items at a time)
    - Consulted with Nogami for the Splatoon stage and characters
    - Lot of strategy can be used in battle mode
    - Gyro controls improved
    - Doesn't completely shutdown the idea of future DLC, but he says the game already has so much content.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/273611-mario-kart-8-deluxe-producer-on-where-switch-s-extra-power-came-i

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201702/09126421.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mariomaker wrote: »
    Way to Expensive @ €60.

i wouldn't say 60 is too expensive at all ,mk8 is a fantastic game and with these improvements is well worth it .....but there is a but ..owning it already on wiiu is the issue for some I'm not in a place to want to buy another copy of it Although it is somewhat tempting with the added battle modes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Way to Expensive @ €60.

Looking at existing HD remasters on other formats, €60 on release for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems within normal limits, as they say.
    There's a ton of content there and the game is still the best in the business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looking at existing HD remasters on other formats, €60 on release for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems within normal limits, as they say.
    There's a ton of content there and the game is still the best in the business.

Yeah, it's decent value for what you're getting. But they should provide a substantial discount for existing MK8 owners if they want them to get onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭geotrig

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's decent value for what you're getting. But they should provide a substantial discount for existing MK8 owners if they want them to get onboard.

I get some people say this as i said ,its the one game i'm struggling to justify as i already own it ,but why would they ? It makes absolutely no sense to do so and how would they even go about verifying that and stop people sharing discs from there wii u ? isnt the new "service " different to the nintendo id we already have ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

geotrig wrote: »
    I get some people say this as i said ,its the one game i'm struggling to justify as i already own it ,but why would they ? It makes absolutely no sense to do so and how would they even go about verifying that and stop people sharing discs from there wii u ? isnt the new "service " different to the nintendo id we already have ?

Yep completely agree - my post was more what they should do rather than will do. I'd be genuinely shocked if Nintendo offered any sort of discount to existing owners of any Wii-U game they plan on re-releasing on Switch (the 3DS Ambassador Program was a different situation).

I already own MK8 and no proper Battle Mode is the reason the game never gets played in this house. So it's a bit of a two fingers to us Wii-U owners that the Switch gets it. Whenever I do get the Switch, I don't plan on paying for games I already have - by then it will have it's own chunky library of games to choose from (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Every copy of MK8 bought new came with Stars, and registering them got you a free game in the first month or so. So they could *very* quickly see a whole bunch of people who bought it. Plus they could see who bought it digitally. Owning the DLC might also qualify, since you're hardly going to have bought it without the game. However I've a feeling you can buy the DLC without the game disk, which would make it less accurate. I guess as long as there's a cut-off - say, it had to be on your account before April 1st 2017, announce the scheme April 2nd....

Sure, plenty of people would get left out, but feck 'em! I'd be quids in!

As to why?
    Simples. The Wii U had a shorter lifespan than it should have, and that's down to internal bungling.
    Mariokart 8 switch is taking away from the Online playerbase of Mariokart 8 Wii U without providing a drastically different experience.
    Online play on the Switch will be a paid for service within a few months of MK8D's release.
    At the moment, not a single switch has been sold.

By offering an incentive to WiiU owners to double dip, they compensate for 3 pain points - all of which are Nintendo-inflicted- and they boost their overall initial sales, justifying their decision to revamp the title and earning investor confidence. It only costs them notional capital.

And if you copy the original launch, you could offer one of the Switch Launch Titles as a download - suddenly 1-2-Switch goes from unloved tech demo ugly stepchild to the 2nd most downloaded title on the platform!
    What's the case for not offering an incentive?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Money and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Way to Expensive @ €60.

Not this time.

Can't wait to play it from scratch. One of my favourite games of the last ten years.

If their marketing patterns hold I look forward to seeing that on Disney XD in 2019

That's an ad for the switch though. Not the game. Does it even mention what game they're playing? It takes for granted that you will recognize Mariokart and you don't need to know anything else about how many tracks there will be, or characters, battlemode etc. But the console's features are all there. And there's a child in the ad - risky!

They do the dock/undock with the telly in the background out of focus again, that's clearly going to be a recurring motif. Nice ;-)

• Advertisement

This shot will feature in Eastenders next week and it'll cut back to Max Branning with the Wii remote again causing total confusion over the Switch's message with people thinking it's yet another add-on for the Wii. :p
    C5liN0EWUAEblMf.jpg:small

C5iZYODWMAACozr.jpg:small

Nah, that would be fine, its entirely consistent with his character. No one tells Max Branning what controller to use. No one!
    He can fling the WiiMote across the room, pacing and holding his head with elbows akimbo, then scream, cut to him standing in the rain staring through a window at the Snipperclips joycons bundle, then maybe have an emotional conversation with whichever married woman he's banging this week about how Jim never bought him a sidewinder II. Eventually he'll get it right, he'll get a pro controller and it will look like he's going to be happy but when the camera pans around he's next door with the PS4 trying to play Destiny and it just isn't working - the cycle begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oh banjo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Smyths list it at 55 euro, that's OK by me. I can't wait for it, never had a wii u so this is one of the reasons I bought a switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't wait for it, even though Mario Kart 7 was barely played on my 3DS when the next shiny thing was released, and a similar story too with the WiiU title.
    I seem to spend more time buying and... hoarding... than actually playing these days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't wait for it, even though Mario Kart 7 was barely played on my 3DS when the next shiny thing was released, and a similar story too with the WiiU title.
    I seem to spend more time buying and... hoarding... than actually playing these days :(

Join the club there man. I added my switch games to where i store all my games and looking at them I am like there is a pile of PS4 games about 8 i think never opened ?. I am like Really TrustedApple you bought another console and games ?.

Then there is the digital back log of games that i don't wont to talk about ......

I'm the same - in making room under my telly for the Switch dock I pulled out a few game cases that I've not even taken the cellophane off. I'm buying games that I won't have time to play because owning them is as close as I'm ever going to get to experiencing them. I'm trying very hard not to buy Shovel Knight or Fast RMX despite having owned both on the WiiU and 3DS (SK) and not really making any progress on either. Same with guitars. Same with graphic novels (one day, Akira vol 2, one day!).

This is all getting a little bit too existentialist. Look, we all know there is a hole in the soul of man that can never be filled, but trust me - if you cram in enough amiibo at once you can wedge them into the top of the hole and it stops you worrying about the vast, empty chasm behind it. To Smyths!

Join the club there man. I added my switch games to where i store all my games and looking at them I am like there is a pile of PS4 games about 8 i think never opened ?. I am like Really TrustedApple you bought another console and games ?.

Then there is the digital back log of games that i don't wont to talk about ......

I don't have to ask myself that.
    One: It would be indicative that the pills have stopped working and I'm talking to myself again.
    Two: She Who Must Be Obeyed gives me that lecture on a near daily basis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Easy solved by buying everything digitally. No massive pile to embarrass you :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Easy solved by buying everything digitally. No massive pile to embarrass you :)

The pile is already massive.

I mean, you know the second Death Star was much larger than the first, did anyone on the ground notice?
    No.
    They just looked up and went, "bugger, that's a big pile there, someone should do something"
    Same here, if I never bought another game I'd still be the owner of a massive pile of consoles, games and accessories....

Advertisement