Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Why would anybody have large surplus sums lying around in their current account on an ongoing basis when it could be in a savings account or some kind of investment?

I keep money in an instant withdrawal deposit account and move sufficient funds to my current account just in time to meet any obligations. Takes all of 2 minutes the day or so before the direct debit is due to hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

GBX wrote: »
    I can vouch ... my wages not in this morning. But no big deal.
    I see UB replying to people on Twatter with a generic "looking into it" reply. Some people are losing their sh1t over it! The whole issue not just the reply :pac:

Well why wouldn't they? Some people don't have much disposable income and are down to their last tenner the day before pay day. Others have standing orders coming out of their account and need the cash in there to cover it.

Obviously, it's preferable to have some kind of cushion. But not everyone is in the position to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭howiya

I'm with TSB but my company is with UB so I haven't received my wages either. No biggie for me because I have enough money to do me about two weeks, but it's a pain in the backside

No biggie but it's a pain in the backside at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

howiya wrote: »
    No biggie but it's a pain in the backside at the same time?

Yes, because I've got direct debits due out so need to get to the bank on my break to lodge cash. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Why would anybody have large surplus sums lying around in their current account on an ongoing basis when it could be in a savings account or some kind of investment?

I tend to have around €1k in my current account at anyone time. It's around 2 weeks salary and covers situations like this and other expenses, like U2 tickets. I'll let it build back up now. Have other savings too but like the convenience net of having money in current account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Wheety wrote: »
    I tend to have around €1k in my current account at anyone time. It's around 2 weeks salary and covers situations like this and other expenses, like U2 tickets. I'll let it build back up now. Have other savings too but like the convenience net of having money in current account.

I try to keep a min of 500 in the account and a few k in the savings account if I'm ever short. It just means I never have to worry about my card not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well why wouldn't they? Some people don't have much disposable income and are down to their last tenner the day before pay day. Others have standing orders coming out of their account and need the cash in there to cover it.

Obviously, it's preferable to have some kind of cushion. But not everyone is in the position to do this.

Did I question why they shouldn't lose their sh*t? No :rolleyes: - I agree its bad form from UB. I have standing orders etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Think its sorted now, mine just came through.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

den87 wrote: »
    Think its sorted now, mine just came through.

I didn't get paid today, really hoping it appears before the end of the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just get one, it will make your life a lot easier.

I don't get way some people just stick to old ways and not embrace easier methods.

Please also don't try to argue that cash and/or cheques are more convenient and secure than debit cards.

Until the bank messes up and you can't get your wages!

Computer system errors are far from rare. It's very hard to mess up with cash.

It would be useful and I probably will do it eventually but it's not the be all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

eeguy wrote: »
    Do you queue up every time you need money? How do you buy online?

No, the banks are often quiet. Some local shops also cash cheques.

Prepay debit card.

Advertisement