Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 year old streams suicide on Facebook

Options
2»

Comments

jimgoose wrote: »
    There has never, ever, been one "snuff film" made. That whole yarn is bullhockey.

We may be differing on the definition of "snuff film". Or, unlike every other thing, no-one did it til the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

She has four or five diary blog type things on the web.
    Not going to link them, google them if you want.

They show that her family situation wasn't at all that good.

Also shows she was obsessed with some Ben Drowned which I think is some video game character.

Heart breaking stuff. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She didn't want to die. But we all want to help when it's too late, no one wanted to know when she was here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

RIP and my thoughts are with this girls family at this awful time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

She didn't want to die. But we all want to help when it's too late, no one wanted to know when she was here.
    Well those who knew her/were aware of her situation I suppose. That's if it's true that nobody wanted to know. Could also have been the case that people did care about her and reach out to her but it wasn't enough to ease the pain.

• Advertisement

I didn't watch end of video , but the long drawn out apologies as she stood there with rope around her neck was laced with her hope of an intervention. No one called her, no one texted, no one commented. That sense of worthlessness ended with that step off her pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

was she bullied through social media or physically, or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This happened about a week ago didn't it?

At the time I initially read about it the cops hadn't confirmed that it had actually happened....

Some people said the video was fake, I obviously hoped it was fake...

A tragedy, and an eye opener really... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I guess the reason she did this was because she was being bullied and she wanted to let her tormentors know how they made her feel. She may have wanted them to remember her for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Iv a nine year old that's been asking me for a phone because her friends have them and there on FB and snap chat etc etc, Hearing sad stories like this is why I dont give my kid that young a phone and access to the Internet there's enough bullying happening in schools without been exposed to it over the net.

I feel its time I give my Daughter the talk on what the horrible side of social media and the Internet can do to a person, personally I don't thing she too young due to kids been more aware today to issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Donal55 wrote: »
    Unbelievable. People complain about mods shutting down stuff on here and yet you can do that on FB. Sickening.
    FB is used by people traffickers to organise the boats that sink in the med. And terrorists.

Don't forget it was originally set up to steal passwords.

So no don't expect ethical behaviour from FB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

That a child knows what suicide is, and knows how to organise a suicide, even felt that an attempted suicide was the only way to get the attention of the people responsible for her well being, never mind that she actually followed through with it, should be terrifying every parent in the world
    Maybe it's best if the film is left out there in cyberspace, available to view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

FB is used by people traffickers to organise the boats that sink in the med. And terrorists.

Don't forget it was originally set up to steal passwords.

So no don't expect ethical behaviour from FB
    Or it was a while until they got the report. Not as exciting but more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Reminds me of the teenager eight or nine years ago in the US who did similar and those watching thought it was a hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

You just get swamped by the net eventually. Just overload of all the anger, hate, loss, pain, laughs, cat videos, rants, opinions, on and on an absolute cacophony of humanity. The net isn't to blame. That poor lost little girl isn't to blame. Humanity is just humanity and the net just opens the flood gates and let's all the world rush past. All you can do sometimes is turn it off and sit in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Very sad for this girl.

I dont blame facebook however i do worry about the potential damage when videos like this are broadcast and shared. Even when refraining from clicking on the video, people may be exposed to inappropriate, detailed, false etc stories or comments from posts. Facebook and specifically the live feature could possibly act as a dangerous catalyst since it can expose and share these tragedies to a large amount of people without any filters which would normally be considered before reporting by other legitimate news outlets which follow established public health and safety guidelines for discussing suicide.

Suicide contagion was highlighted as a concern when Robin Williams died.

"Suicide contagion is the exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family, one's peer group, or through media reports of suicide and can result in an increase in suicide and suicidal behaviors."

It was never live on facebook
    It was shared on there
    Live feed was from site called ''Live Me ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Gatling wrote: »

Have we got that bad that people find a 12 year old killing herself live as some kind of morbid curiosity or entertainment.

Rip young angel

If you go to any Irish or UK newspaper website, papers that you would think are reputable, present headlines which are concerned with sex crimes and other equally morbid stuff, as if they occurred in Ireland/UK, but actually occurred elsewhere in the world.

So they obviously trawl the world news to bring you the most shocking morbid news stories, and present them as if they happened locally.

Anyway, I think it's the type of stuff ppl want to read. Whether that reflects badly on us as a society I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I actually found coming back to this difficult for some reason ,
    A victim of supposed sexual abuse if I read correctly openly posts this and yet people had to have watched from start to finish and did nothing it was a family member who found her hanging after at least 20 mins ,
    A child as a parent of two girls one only 3 years younger than this poor girl it scares the living daylights out of me that if one of them got so low that they would attempt suicide and people would just sit and watch ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I didn't watch end of video...

I had no intention of watching this video nor anything else of this kind, I don't appreciate some knob on AH who thinks it is appropriate to watch the thing then post unasked a commentary describing it.

I don't know what is worse, that you knowingly watched a 12 year old commit suicide or that you described it here to get kudos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement