Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting old or is music gone to pot altogether?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Omackeral wrote: »
    A percentage* of those bands are made up.

It's 100%

..and me like a fcuking eejit googling them...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

me_irl wrote: »
    All absolute shíte...

...to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

They specifically referred to the charts so "You just need to look for good music" doesn't apply.

Yes, the charts are worse than ever - it's not because you're getting old. As you say, nobody is gonna remember the stuff in the charts now. There was always rubbish in the charts but the proportion of rubbish is particularly high today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP problem solved, stop listening to sh1te radio stations, listen to Kelly-Ann Byrne and breathe a sigh of relief, she plays a lot of classics but there will be current brilliant stuff out there too. Tune into the Beat Goes On on Today FM on Saturday and Sunday night, there is still passionate music lovers out there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No Creativity today .

Most movies today are reboots or remakes or sequels or film versions of very, very, successful literature.

Compare these
    https://www.shortoftheweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Loss-of-Originality-STATS6.gif

IMHO late 70's to early 80's was the peak of music.
    And bands from those days are still making the most money touring so it's not just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

me_irl wrote: »
    All absolute shíte...

...to me.

Gimme a break :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You're not that old if you're still worrying about f*cking pop music, who cares?! Live your life!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Since some knob pushing some buttons is called a musician nowadays, it is really not a miracle that most modern music sucks bowling balls through a garden hose.

There is a reason they need pills to have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

inforfun wrote:

Always loved that Henry Rollins saying, 'which came first, the ****ty music or the ****ty drugs'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Oblivoid

brevity wrote: »
    Toxic Drainpipe sold out. Their new album sucks.

No way, man. They've just evolved their sound, they can't stay the same forever. That would be boring. You just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

inforfun wrote: »
    Since some knob pushing some buttons is called a musician nowadays, it is really not a miracle that most modern music sucks bowling balls through a garden hose.

Just like Beethoven and Chopin, sitting at those gigantic noise machines pressing buttons to make music. Pianos me hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Ah here, the last thread on this topic is barely a week old

and it was a better thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Flimpson wrote: »
    They specifically referred to the charts so "You just need to look for good music" doesn't apply.

Yes, the charts are worse than ever - it's not because you're getting old. As you say, nobody is gonna remember the stuff in the charts now. There was always rubbish in the charts but the proportion of rubbish is particularly high today.
    Because of the nature of the charts, and the way people buy (or don't) music these days, it'll never be the same as years ago.

Top Of The Pops used to be huge, and people felt that what was in the charts was important. Nowadays, there's a lot more music to choose from, and people don't buy as much music like they used to, using sites like Spotify instead.

Basically, the people who pay for specific downloads are the people to blame for the state of the charts (although I'm not 100% sure how the charts are complied these days), and they'd be from a different demographic that the OP. So yeah, he's getting old :pac: but I'm possibly older and still enjoying modern music, just not from the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just like Beethoven and Chopin, sitting at those gigantic noise machines pressing buttons to make music. Pianos me hoop!
    And don't get me started on the boyos blowing into bottles and the plucking on the strings and banging stuff with sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

gramar wrote: »
    There's a radio show on here that picks a random week from the last 40 years and runs down through the UK top 40. Listening the other day I came to the unavoidable conclusion that music really has gone to crap altogether in the last 15 years. The week in question was the beginning of January 1985...and below is a selection from the Top 20...

Do they know it's Christmas
    Last Christmas - Wham!
    We all stand together - McCartney
    Like a virgin
    Ghostbusters
    The power of love
    Shout - Tears for fears
    Everything must change - Paul Young
    The riddle - Nik Kershaw
    One night in Bangkok
    I should have known better - Jim Diamond

I just called to say - Stevie Wonder ......nº 23!

30 years on I can't imagine anyone listening back to the current charts and even remembering the songs let alone thinking they were any good.
    To be honest I haven't heard of most of the current Top 20 but I just can't see names like Rag'n'bone man, Zara Larsson, Neiked or Chainsmokers FT Halsey lasting the tests of time.

I tend to agree with you on this point - that said I am a die hard modern Jazz fan - seldom listen to "popular" music / Ive stuck with the same music taste all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Yeah I agree it's crap
    I don't think a great new band has come on the scene since 1994!

Advertisement