Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting old or is music gone to pot altogether?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

There's a radio show on here that picks a random week from the last 40 years and runs down through the UK top 40. Listening the other day I came to the unavoidable conclusion that music really has gone to crap altogether in the last 15 years. The week in question was the beginning of January 1985...and below is a selection from the Top 20...

Do they know it's Christmas
    Last Christmas - Wham!
    We all stand together - McCartney
    Like a virgin
    Ghostbusters
    The power of love
    Shout - Tears for fears
    Everything must change - Paul Young
    The riddle - Nik Kershaw
    One night in Bangkok
    I should have known better - Jim Diamond

I just called to say - Stevie Wonder ......nº 23!

30 years on I can't imagine anyone listening back to the current charts and even remembering the songs let alone thinking they were any good.
    To be honest I haven't heard of most of the current Top 20 but I just can't see names like Rag'n'bone man, Zara Larsson, Neiked or Chainsmokers FT Halsey lasting the tests of time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

itll-happen-to-you.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, I can confirm; you're old. Sorry.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Probrably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I don't no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

It's selective bias and also survivorship bias.

When you look at retrospectives such as music , then the selection will focus on the hits or the best songs of a particular era.
    It follows that you will surmise that the music of that era was pretty much brilliant.

That's survivorship bias.

To me the prefect illustration of this was RTE's reeling in the years when you compare the first season and the last season.
    The initial episodes were fantastic because they had the advantage of time.
    The most important events of a particular year had the time to emerge, and the best music of the year could be matched to those events.

The production team in 1999 looking to make an episode for the year 1980 had that advantage.
    They had Lennon Assasintated, H block prisoners, Who shot JR, Anglo Irish talks, Charlie, Olympic boycotts.

The same production team working in 2010 were making an episode about the year 2009.
    They had the Thierry Henry handball, Rugby's grandslam, floods in Cork, Pat Kenny leaving the Late Late (all superfluous crap)

They didn't have that same advantage, that survivorship bias, and it was poor in comparison to the first episodes.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, I can confirm; you're old. Sorry.

:pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ah here, the last thread on this topic is barely a week old

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Having grown up in the 90's I'd have to say that current pop music is waaay less annoying.

Some of it I'd even listen to by choice.

The current top 20 includes Taylor swift, Kendrick Lamar and Daft Punk, all of whom I expect to still be remembered with fondness in 20 years time - maybe a few more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I must be getting senile, I thought we had this thread last week

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Am I getting Alzheimer's or was there not a thread in this very topic only a few weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This poxy thread every other week!

Let me do the check list.

-There's plenty of decent music out there, you just need to know where to look.
    -Hey OP listen to these bands ; Toxic Drainpipe, Wishing on a Window, The Snotrockets.
    -Stock, Aiken and Waterman ruined music.
    -If it's in the charts it's fcuking sh*te, no exceptions.
    -I wanna ride Rory Gallagher and Phil Lynott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

bee06 wrote: »
    I must be getting senile, I thought we had this thread last week
    Am I getting Alzheimer's or was there not a thread in this very topic only a few weeks ago?

Seems I'm not the only one getting old around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gramar wrote: »
    Seems I'm not the only one getting old around here!

No you are, they are right and you've forgotten about the thread already!

You're going radio rental OP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Omackeral wrote: »

-Hey OP listen to these bands ; Toxic Drainpipe, Wishing on a Window, The Snotrockets.

Toxic Drainpipe sold out. Their new album sucks.

brevity wrote: »
    Toxic Drainpipe sold out. Their new album sucks.

Agreed, I prefer their earlier stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I have no idea whether Toxic Drainpipe, Wishing on a Window and the Snotrockets are real bands or if you just made up those names.

In other news...you should watch this to curb that anger...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

me_irl wrote: »
    itll-happen-to-you.png

No way man, we're gonna keep on rockin' FOREVER!! FOREVER!! Forever! Forever. forever. forever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Am I getting old or have threads about how music has gone to pot altogether gone to pot altogether?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Surely if music was gone pot it would have got better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jesus f***ing Christ, it's only been what, one week since the last one? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Billy86 wrote: »
    Jesus f***ing Christ, it's only been what, one week since the last one? :pac:

Been how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

me_irl wrote: »

Feck this, I'm off to start a new thread asking if music isn't good anymore and what ever happened to the charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Music has been the same notes over and over again since the dawn of time

rtron wrote: »
    Music has been the same notes over and over again since the dawn of time

It's like the song that never ends. Yes, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was. But people kept singing it just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Quite the opposite this could potentially be a great year in music.

The Flaming Lips, The XX, Arcade Fire, Spiritualized, Vampire Weekend, Ryan Adams, Sun Kil Moon, The Shins, Depeche Mode, Grizzly Bear, Haim, Kayne West, Modest Mouse, The National, The Killers, The Horrors etc..

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Quite the opposite this could potentially be a great year in music.

The Flaming Lips, The XX, Arcade Fire, Spiritualized, Vampire Weekend, Ryan Adams, Sun Kil Moon, The Shins, Depeche Mode, Grizzly Bear, Haim, Kayne West, Modest Mouse, The National, The Killers, The Horrors etc..

All absolute shíte...

...to me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Once Steven Wilson is still alive, good music will continue to be made.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm going to be 40 later this year and find that music is getting better and better. I'm not in any way a snob/hipster or whatever but if you listen to what's in the charts, then yes you'll be disappointed and come to the conclusion that music is becoming rubbish.
    The biggest eye opener for me, in terms of new artists, styles of music etc has been Spotify. There's just so much great music out there to be discovered using the various playlists, song radio, recommendations from friends etc.

By and far it's one of the best value things I pay for.

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    I have no idea whether Toxic Drainpipe, Wishing on a Window and the Snotrockets are real bands or if you just made up those names.

A percentage* of those bands are made up.

It's 100%

Advertisement