Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reviews of Costello Windows Limerick?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am refurbishing and extending a small semi-detached house in Limerick and will be replacing all of the windows and doors as part of the works.

I have three prices for the work and am leaning towards Costello's. There isn't much between the prices. Has any one any experience of them, good or bad, that might help me make my mind up?

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi dede10,

I used Costello Windows in 2014 to replace a front door for me. My experience of them was not good. Various issues with them - found their level of customer service v.poor. Obviously, others will come on and say their experience was favourable. PM me if you'd like more specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try mid west in clondrinagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BesameMucho

hi dede10
    I've recently had windows and doors installed by costelloe windows

my opinion would be, avoid using them

just to give you an idea of price
    I had 10 windows and 2 doors installed at roughly 8,600 euro.
    Costelloes will then call you close to the installation date and advise on a number of essential things they 'forgot' to include on the contract.
    window sills...
    removal of the old windows from your property (which they may tell you about, after the installation is partially completed)
    be prepare to be extorted here....

You can of course, make an arrangement with the fitter to do the above tasks, but they are less than trustworthy,

They will partially install your order one day, and
    then give a vague schedule for completion of the order at some future date (which is also subject to change)
    thats very convenient when trying to arrange time home from work.

After the installation, you will be left to find:
    used tubes of window silicon, tubes of insulating foam,
    contractors subway wrappers / cigarette cartons,
    various bits of plastic and other waste
    cement....broken class
    deposited in various hedges in your garden,
    bath and toilet full of plaster and cement

While a certain level of dust / mess is expected, the fitters made zero attempt to clean up after themselves or maintain a tidy workspace

customer service ha ha ha.... sure.
    unsympathetic and unfair

avoid avoid avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

We bought windows from Costello Windows in 2015, supply only.
    The guy we dealt with was very amiable, the windows themselves were a very good price, they were manufactured and delivered promptly and the windows themselves are great quality. We'll be getting the rest of our windows from them.
    Obviously can't speak for the fitting service etc as we didn't use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Self builder Moycullen

Did you go with them? I just requested a quote from
    Them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 westernfringe

For the purpose of those looking to choose a window and door provider, I would like to offer my personal feedback on being a customer of Costello windows.
    We ordered 1 small window (930x1200) and 1 sliding front door.(the highest spec door that they could provide) Cost €1800
    They arrived to put in the window and started by taking out our old sliding door. Once they had removed our existing front door, they then realized that the door they had made up and brought was the wrong door with the opening on the wrong side. They informed us that it would be 3 weeks to make up a new door and that they would contact us with a date. We never got a call back on this and it was me who had to constantly follow up and put on pressure for them to give us a date to put in a new door. We were 1 month in the end without the front sliding door (in the middle of the Winter)
    When they installed the window and we went to do the check before they left, there was wind whistling in around all the the sides. We called them back in as they were leaving and they managed to fix it up. However as soon as it got a bit windy we noticed wind coming in though the closings in the windows. When they came back to finally install the door, we showed them the window and they did fix that up. Job done or so we thought.
    I was not there when the door was finally put in, but my wife pointed out to the installation guys that it was quite difficult to open and close. They told her that this was normal, As soon as I got back and was able to check it, it was apparent that this was not normal.
    I have been two months calling them to ask them to go out to fix the door, which at times is unusable and impossible to open. If it's hot and sunny, it opens as it should, if it's cold it is practically impossible to open and the kids have to climb the wall and come in the back door. The handle is getting loose on the door already from trying to open and close it. The sales rep has told me that this is highly unusual and he has never come across such an issue.
    The manager in their head office in Glin in Limerick does not return my calls. Not once. I ring, leave my message with the secretary and no call back. 3 times this week thus far.
    The sales rep (who I call also) who sold my wife the door, has told me several times that someone will be out, it's always "we'll get there next week"
    I talked to him again today and he has said that I am 100% justified in my grievance, that it is unacceptable, that he has tried everything to get head office in Glin to fix our not fit for purpose door. He added that he has asked head office several times and there is nothing much more he can do.
    So that's it, might seem like a bit of a rant but is my feedback. The door and window were a big expense for us and now we have a door that is worse than the one we replaced. I don't believe I will now receive any satisfaction or remedy and I would just like to offer the feedback to those weighing up which provider to use.

Just an update on my situation/dealings with Costello Windows. I would love to say that they have been helpful and resolved the situation but anything but. As I mentioned it was a big enough of an expense for us and I would like to just forewarn others. In the past month since my original post, I did eventually manage to get them to get a fitter to call in. This was only because he was in the area. On Thursday 1st of June, they arrived and basically stood and scratched their heads wondering what to do with the door. They took the door out and put it back in again with no improvement whatsoever (and we now have to repaint around door again). He couldn't fix it, said that it was faulty and he would advise management of the same. He thought that it was a manufacturing fault and pointed out that Costellos would have a guarantee on that door as it was manufactured by another company from Belfast apparently. This was on the 1st of June. Since then I have been calling and leaving messages with the secretary. She always promises that he'll call me back but never once did so. When I do get through to the Manager of their Glin Office, he tells me always how he wants to sort it for me and will get back to me. Since Day 1, I have NEVER ONCE received a phone call from their office. Never once returned my call. Several phone calls last week and several again this week. The latest is now one of the management wish to visit to have a look at the door. The door is not fit for purpose. It works fine in the hot weather when it heats up, however when it is cold, one has to lean fully into it to open it. I have had an experienced builder with previous door and window experience look at it, and he is of the opinion that it is perhaps warped, perhaps from manufacture or perhaps from being fitted incorrectly. Not fit for purpose according to him. I have emailed the company with all of this over a month ago, however have never received a reply. I pointed out in my email that when it is cold, the kids can't open it and must go in and out through the back door, thus presenting a fire hazard. Thanks to the boards.ie user who privately messaged me with advice on this situation and the course of action to take through the small claims court. I didn't really want to go down that route but now looks like the only option. My wife was the one who got Costellos to fit the door and window. I was away at the time. Had I been here, I would have searched a little on the internet and most likely have come across the above posts from similar dissatisfied customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vinnyvega

Was just wondering who you went with in the end and any feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I am happy to come across this thread, I had quote from Costelloes few days ago very similar prices to Munster Joinery. I had never seen any reviews from Costelloes and I am quite shocked their customer service so bad. Does anyone know if Munster Joinery customer service is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Steer55 wrote: »
    I am happy to come across this thread, I had quote from Costelloes few days ago very similar prices to Munster Joinery. I had never seen any reviews from Costelloes and I am quite shocked their customer service so bad. Does anyone know if Munster Joinery customer service is better?

If MJ offered to pay me €1000 to replace my windows I'd tell them to feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ballers86

Just saw this and said I would share my experience with Costello's.
    Getting windows and doors replaced is one of the most important jobs any family will ever have done on their house, it has to be right and it's often something people put off until the last possible moment.
    Often this is from fear of a bad job or unpleasant or inefficient workers.

Well, myself and my family can heartily recommend Costello's. The quality of their products is first class. Their windows and doors look beautiful, enhancing the appearance of our home. Modern and yet elegant at the same time, 21st century windows and doors, yet with and olde world character. The level of noise coming in is greatly reduced, whilst the level of heat escaping is similarly reduced. They are designed with your home in mind and thus are as individual as you are, which is as it should always be but so seldom is!

Moreover, their staff both office and fitters, are hardworking, ultra-proficient at their work (there is no substitute for talent and experience); friendly and engaging to have work with and in your home. You are never worried about their presence, quite the opposite as they are splendid.

To conclude; at all levels we couldn't recommend Costello's more.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ballers86 wrote: »
    Getting windows and doors replaced is one of the most important jobs any family will ever have done on their house, it has to be right and it's often something people put off until the last possible moment.

Well, myself and my family can heartily recommend Costello's. The quality of their products is first class. Their windows and doors look beautiful, enhancing the appearance of our home. Modern and yet elegant at the same time, 21st century windows and doors, yet with and olde world character. The level of noise coming in is greatly reduced, whilst the level of heat escaping is similarly reduced. They are designed with your home in mind and thus are as individual as you are, which is as it should always be but so seldom is!

Moreover, their staff both office and fitters, are hardworking, ultra-proficient at their work (there is no substitute for talent and experience); friendly and engaging to have work with and in your home. You are never worried about their presence, quite the opposite as they are splendid.

What did you say your surname name was again...Costello?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

will you do me a quote please for some windows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ballers86

Not a Costello or anyway associated with their company I am just same as above people who commented on the thread giving my experience of dealing with them.

Not a Costello or anyway associated with their company I am just same as above people who commented on the thread giving my experience of dealing with them.

What time does your showroom open?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gosh lads, ye're all so cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jerry.shar

We are currently modernising an old cottage and we used costello windows. We called to their showroom and met breda who was so friendly and knowledgeable and gave us great advice. We settled for their new townhouse windows and a palladio door. Our existing windows were aluminium. The improvement in the warmth of house was immediate. We found the fitters to be fabulous lads who did a great job and even helped put back up the curtains! I would have no problem recommending them. Good luck with your build!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Got windows for a new build from Costello windows. The experience was a nightmare from start to finish. Ended up having to get a different company in to finish the job and do remedial work on the (new) windows Costellos supplied. The front door they supplied had gaps in the panels so wide you could actually see out through them.

Customer Care appears to be an utterly alien concept to them.

Interesting that the posters with positive experiences seem mostly to have signed up to boards just to comment on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

got windows from these guys about ten years ago and were a complete nightmare also, delivered about 10 weeks after the delivery date, sales man disappeared off the planet and when I rang asked for the boss and got him and complained, he decided he was not the boss anymore but the accountant:confused:

after they were installed I had to tidy up around the front door and some of the windows myself where they had left gaps, a complete nightmare and stay well clear!!!

On my end, am still waiting for them to do something about that unfit for purpose door they supplied and fitted for me. A complete debacle that has been going on since last Winter. The Manager has told me on the phone that the door is faulty, but it's one undelivered promise after another to actually do anything about it. At this stage it's not just the actual cost of the door, but the headspace it takes up to constantly be having to chase them and get excuses and undelivered promises, and then the frustration when the kids struggle to get in and out the 'new' door. Our 'new' door only works properly when it's hot out, and gets stuck when it's cold. This makes it a Fire Escape Hazard which I have pointed out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If MJ offered to pay me €1000 to replace my windows I'd tell them to feck off.

Just got my windows with MJ, first class service, very happy customer.

Steer55 wrote: »
    Just got my windows with MJ, first class service, very happy customer.

What time is your showroom open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cost12

It is indeed v.difficult to get a good window or door supplier. Who do you trust? I did usual internet checks on some big name suppliers and saw there were issues. So eventually I went with Costello. What a mistake! After I ordered the fitting....a neighbour advised to "stay away from Costello anyway". Cripes I was now worried as I had already paid my deposit. They put the fitting in all wrong with big gaps to let in plenty draught. I did well to get them to come out again. They sort of improved things....but fitting is still a big problem and there is plaster falling off the wall. I have called again and again to get this fixed..... They have no intention of fixing their crap work. There is v.v. poor customer service. If you want poor workmanship, poor fitting and zero customer service.....go ahead. But do yourself a favour...avoid these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭OO7FITZY

I have been told Mid West are good and also Senator windows but have also been told they are pricey?
    Also a lot of them seem to offer A rated as std but is one companies A rates glass better than another companies A rated glass particularly if the glass is sourced from the same manufacturer ie Vista Therm?
    Who / how are the old windows recycled / disposed of?
    Should my new windows be stamped with a BER or A rated marking? How do I find out the u-value and is the u value related to just the glass or the glass and PVC frame?

update - have two options

1. Double glazed - Window U-VALUE 1.4, BFRC Energy Index 5, Solar Factor 0.47

2. Triple glazed - Window U-VALUE 1.1, BFRC Energy Index 12, Solar Factor 0.40

Obviously the lower u-value the better but what does "BFRC Energy Index" mean and "Solar Factor"

price difference between double and triple is around +12% but as the side of the house where the windows will be facing is North I think I need triple glazed plus there is some road noise also

All the glass seems to be made by same company in Nenagh so looks only decision is the fitter - Are Senator any good?

feedback welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    but what does "BFRC Energy Index" mean and "Solar Factor"
    The BFRC is an abbreviation of British Fenestration Rating Council which by its name is the relevant standards authority in the UK. Here in Ireland a WEP rating is used which is short for Window Energy Performance with the NSAI being the Regulatory Authority and they have a list of approved window systems here

The solar factor is a rating given to glass to demonstrate the levels of thermal energy passing through it.

A general rule of thumb (best to get a BER assessor to check in detail) is to use triple glazing on North facing windows with double glazing elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 GingerG

Anyone know any other companies that supply 'Townhouse Sash' windows?
    Particularly looking at this style for fire reg issues. Costello Windows, whilst they supply them are quite far away from me and i'll like to visit a showrooms before handing over any cash first. Love the 'Townhouse Sash' over any other type and they are far cheaper than normal sash. Just wish a company closer to Dublin supplied them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Jeez im happy i found this thread, just beginning to consult with Costello's, im put off majorly after reading this and will now go with mj who i know have problems but always come back to fix stuff im told.

Anyone used D&J glazing from Limerick for windows?

Also does it matter if the glass is fitted to the frame in the factory or on site prior to installation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Engaged with Costelloes in January re their town house sash window. Sales team were very responsive but when I started asking locally with home owners who have these specific windows they have had a lot of heart ache regarding the air leakage or one person said the gale that blows in the windows.

I went with Window and Door SuperStore in Limerick instead and will happily recommend to others.

Advertisement