Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Gas Boiler

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to change my 15 year old gas boiler to a new one. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Budget for the job !? Any chance of a grant ?
    House / apartment,radiators,rooms,UFH,cylinder in the hot press !?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Deltarom

rolion wrote: »
    Budget for the job !? Any chance of a grant ?
    House / apartment,radiators,rooms,UFH,cylinder in the hot press !?

Looking for a grant. It is for a 5 bedroom house. Planning to add zone control as well for grant. Some one suggested Baxi boiler but the engineer said the heat exchanger in Baxi boiler is not suitable in my home because the existing one is not clean. So he suggested me to put IDEAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That doesn't really make sense as all existing heating systems need to be cleaned out before the installation of a new boiler.
    Although I wouldn't recommend a Baxi either.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    That doesn't really make sense as all existing heating systems need to be cleaned out before the installation of a new boiler.
    Although I wouldn't recommend a Baxi either.

Which one do you recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Ideal or Worcester bosch, is what I'd recommend , ideal has better parts warranty, but both good.

• Advertisement

Do you need a combi boiler (that does hot water AND heating) or a standard system boiler?
    For 5 rooms,i will say a 30KW should have lots ofpower and reserve as a combi unit.

Personal, i'm balancing between a new gas boiler or a Heat Pump.

Gas boiler,i will not touch anything else than Viessman,the Rolls Royce of the boilers.
    I have my cash on this one HERE
    The dont deliver to Ireland so i had to contact the local reseller.

Save the cash in the budget for zoned controls,i recommend EvoHome HERE .

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I have several houses and am sick to death of servicing and fixing gas boilers. Going to change all back to oil as the boilers inevitably break down.

Deltarom wrote: »
    Which one do you recommend.

Worchester, Vokera, Glowworm and Ideal.
    Veissman are good as well, but quite pricey.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I have several houses and am sick to death of servicing and fixing gas boilers. Going to change all back to oil as the boilers inevitably break down.

hahaha....im sure you are going to have lots of fun there... :)

Boilers needs serviced as a car,there are moving parts.The supplier has to make the income to pay the service man.
    Have you opened a boiler's heat exchanger to remove the blackie iron like tough as from the hard water ? The ignition spark needs recalibrated,replaced.
    Few electronics fail these days...

Since i got my water softener,the heat exchanger is more cleaner,boiler runs more quieter.

Worchester, Vokera, Glowworm and Ideal.
    Veissman are good as well, but quite pricey.

I know is a lot of marketing stuff but...

Features and benefits:
    • Smart energy management via the energy cockpit with 5-inch colour touch-screen
    • Consistently high level of efficiency reduces gas consumption
    • Optional control via app and internet (Vitoconnect 100, type OPTO1, WiFi module (due October 2016)
    • Modulating stainless steel MatriX cylinder burner and Inox-Radial heat exchanger
    • Future proof Lambda Pro Control combustion controller with automatic adaptation to different gas qualities, no LPG conversion kit required
    • Quick, straightforward installation thanks to innovative push-fit system, fully assembled and wired
    • Optional sub-mounted mixer kit ideal for Under floor heating or lower temperature heating circuits
    • Can be electronically interlocked with SM1 Solar Control Module or Vitosolic controller for optimum solar efficiency
    • Installation with Vitocell 200 or 300 cylinder meets G3 Building Regualtions without the need for a cut-off valve and cylinder overheat thermostat; these are now built into the boiler
    • High Efficierncy Pump meets ErP directive for A rated energy pumps, save up to 50% of electrical consumption
    • High DHW flow rate of up to 14.3 l/min
    • Integrated diverter valve
    • Automatic flue adaptor, automatic partial load adjustment
    • Reduction of operating noise through new casing concept and low fan speed (36-48 dB)
    • Simple and failsafe commissioning of the boiler
    • 10 litre heating circuit expansion vessel
    • Comes with pre-plumbing jig as standard
    • 5 year comprehensive parts and labour warranty on the boiler if fitted by a registered Viessmann Trained installer, otherwise 3 years as standard
    • 10 year warranty on the Inox-Radial heat exchanger

• Advertisement

http://idealboilers.ie/homeowner/boilers/system-boilers/logic-system-ie/

This is the boiler he recommended. Along with two zone system (water and heater) controlled by motorized valves, Plumbing from boiler to hot press upstairs. Wiring, 5 thermostatic radiator valve, magnetic filter unit next to boiler. Complete chemical flushing and cleaning of existing heating system to remove corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

This is the boiler he recommended. Along with two zone system (water and heater) controlled by motorized valves, Plumbing from boiler to hot press upstairs. Wiring, 5 thermostatic radiator valve, magnetic filter unit next to boiler. Complete chemical flushing and cleaning of existing heating system to remove corrosion.

This is what I did last Feb.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/sse-airtricity-energy-services-1/gas-boiler-replacement/

They supplied an Ideal Logic 24 boiler, did all you mention above (8 TRVs) and installed a Climote (it's all they had at the time, any other device was chargeable). I think the overall cost was about €2k after grant rebates (which they absorbed up front). Also, house was audited and a BER cert was issued. Quality and cleanliness of work was great and removed my clapped out old boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The only thing a chemical flush will remove is money from your wallet

The total price is 1950 Euro.

The total price is 1950 Euro.

I rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SaS7

Hi lads,
    I need to replace my ideal mini gas boiler, heats water & rads.
    How much should I be paying ?
    Had some crazy quotes up to 3k.

SaS7 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

http://idealboilers.ie...ers/logic-system-ie/

Im paying 1950 euro.

Hi lads,

Ideal mini boilers are usually quite robust, what problems are you having.

http://idealboilers.ie...ers/logic-system-ie/

Im paying 1950 euro.

Something not right about that price.
    Is that the net price after grants?

I have to pay 1950. The grant is 750.
    1950+750

• Advertisement

Ye he's probably charging 50 euro for the chemical flush. Which is way too much. That's why is so cheap

Ideal mini boilers are usually quite robust, what problems are you having.

It's running for either 5 mins or few hours and then won't for a few days.
    The boiler is about 14 years old now.

It's running for either 5 mins or few hours and then won't for a few days.
    The boiler is about 14 years old now.

Did whoever came to look at it diagnose the fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I have a Viessmann boiler OP and a zoned system it's a great boiler.

Hi K.,
    Fan was stuck, pcb wrecked.He said not really worth replacing them.
    2900e - new bosch boiler, valves, thermostats in all rooms etc.
    Grant 750e.
    If I switch supplier to electric ireland I get 400e credit over 12 months.
    So 1750e net cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

My Ideal boiler (17yo) stopped working last night. Pump coming on but no pilot light etc.

Got someone around who got it going again but i'd imagine i'll be doing well to get another winter out of it.

He said he will replace it with another Ideal when it does eventually go for €1650 all in with flush etc.

What is the situation with grants, the missus asked me to find out???

Its a standard 3 bed-semi if that matters...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

According to this page: http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/Step_1_Decide_on_work_to_be_done/ you get €700 grant for "heating controls and a boiler upgrade" or "€600 for heating controls upgrade only"

Does that mean there is no grant for replacing just the boiler?

mp31 wrote: »
    According to this page: http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/Step_1_Decide_on_work_to_be_done/ you get €700 grant for "heating controls and a boiler upgrade" or "€600 for heating controls upgrade only"

Does that mean there is no grant for replacing just the boiler?

Yes that's right

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

Does anyone have any views on Ariston system boilers?
    We have an Ideal Classic 250 boiler that I'm considering replacing with an equivalent Ariston boiler

• Advertisement

mp31 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any views on Ariston system boilers?
    We have an Ideal Classic 250 boiler that I'm considering replacing with an equivalent Ariston boiler

Fit them the whole time. I never have problems with them. If you can afford it go with the weather compensation and heating controls option too as it's a very intelligent boiler if controlled and wired properly

Advertisement