Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[English] Irishman uses $5 million to bring DeLoreans back to the future

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mickdw wrote: »
    That guy that owns the new Delorean Motor Company is a serious operator and he has the stock of original parts in his ownership.
    I'd like to see him do it and get a few new ones on the road.
    I wonder if it's just a publicity stunt to sell restored ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A Renault wind isn't crap though, so it doesn't count.

Someone else has odd taste then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think so.
    I've heard about him for a while. He must have some amount of stuff cause he is flat out selling original parts and still reckons he can build many cars from scratch.
    I believe front wings are super rare though but I think he is holding back stock for his new builds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's become an icon for a few reasons, not least the film appearance, but as a car it's an awful hodgepodge of crappy mechanics and bad design. It looks OK and looks are a personal thing anyway, but was and is slow as continental drift and has the reliability of a baby's arse. You're not sure when, but it can be guaranteed to shít itself. The interiors are woeful and it had more rattles than the toy shelf in Mothercare. Oh and when it rains don't open the doors as it'll give you a decent shower. Parking was a bitch with the same doors and the dampers failed regularly. I drove one an albeit short distance once and though I was "oh cool, a DeLorean" it did not feel like a sports car. And I'm someone who likes "old" cars and some still do the job extremely well(EG a 60's Lotus Elan properly sorted makes something like an MX 5 feel like a Blancmange. And is quicker through the twisties). To each their own I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Used to love spending hours cleaning mine with turps and jacks roll only for the first person to walk by maul it with handprints! Then I have to use the turps again! Great car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A neighbour has two of them, years ago he asked me if I would like to go foir a spin to a classic carr show in one of them. Off course I agreed.
    Very soon found out that I was asked primarily so as I could check the road ahead for oncoming traffic!
    His one was hard to fill with fuel, it would spit back if you didn't go dsloe with the pump trigger. Also, when you pulled on the hand brake, it was then sticking up higher than the seat squab, and you had to clamber over it to get out. Or pull it on after getting out.
    Don't get a puncture either, back rims were 15 inch and fringe were, I think, 13.
    If you loved attention though, they certainly were the thing to be in!

If I had a lotto win in my pocket, an Aston Martin Lagonda would be the boxy 1980's oddity for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

spuddy wrote: »
    Indeed, he's actually English.
    OP, pm me your source and I'll add it to your post

And no, I'd rather drive a Lotus Esprit

Advertisement