Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[English] Irishman uses $5 million to bring DeLoreans back to the future

Options
  • 10-01-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anyone going to buy one? It's always been on my bucket list. I cant link to the article but the jist of it is below.

More than 30 years since the last DeLorean rolled off the factory line in Ireland, the car known for its gull-wing doors and its role as the time machine in the movie "Back to the Future" is once again slated for production, thanks to one mechanic with a lot of patience.

Pre-order interest has been so overwhelming, DeLorean CEO Stephen Wynne tells CNBC, that the site's submission form has been capping out the company's inbox. Over 3,500 enthusiasts are looking to secure the first 12 DeLoreans planned for 2017.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

They were an interesting idea, but poorly built, using a lot of questionable parts, quite under powered and noisy. Unique in terms of the stainless steel body, but the movie is the real legacy of the DeLorean. They are a cult classic though. And plenty would part with big money for one, especially if it came with a Mr.Fusion banana powered mini reactor

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Needs a diesel version to sell here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

Anyone know how much they'll be? Has anyone on here ever bought one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Its an awful looking car. As boxy and as 80's as you can possibly get. Some cars have ageless design and this is not one of them.

I'd presume most will be tricked out to replicate the BTTF car. Can't imagine anyone driving the standard model around thinking they look good.

There was a story a year ago about a guy wanting to produce them again for 100k per car. Not the same guy I presume?
    http://wtkr.com/2016/01/27/delorean-going-back-into-production-for-the-first-time-in-over-30-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

About 10 years ago a buddy I was in college with, his father was restoring a DeLorean, no idea if he ever finished it but it was about 75% of the way through at that stage.

I'd echo the above though, they were awful looking things and apart from being famous from a film, nobody would look twice at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eeguy wrote: »
    Its an awful looking car. As boxy and as 80's as you can possibly get. Some cars have ageless design and this is not one of them.
    Perhaps not ageless, but definitely distinct. Without BTTF, nobody would even know what a DeLorean is outside of a Buzzfeed "10 crazy cars you'll never believe they built" article.

But now the design is iconic. That doesn't mean you have to like it :)
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    About 10 years ago a buddy I was in college with, his father was restoring a DeLorean, no idea if he ever finished it but it was about 75% of the way through at that stage.
    You used to be able to see one going in and out of Dublin city on the N4 some days, about ten years ago. Same guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I worked in a main dealer 17 years ago and the owner imported a tatty one from California. He paid something like $20,000 plus shipping. There is definitely a market out there for them.

seamus wrote: »
    Perhaps not ageless, but definitely distinct. Without BTTF, nobody would even know what a DeLorean is outside of a Buzzfeed "10 crazy cars you'll never believe they built" article.

But now the design is iconic. That doesn't mean you have to like it :)

You used to be able to see one going in and out of Dublin city on the N4 some days, about ten years ago. Same guy?

This him?

latest?cb=20080321000009

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I love the look of them, but I don't know if I would dare drive one:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

My mate services one yearly for a lad. Mechanical wise, they are a god awful piece of sh1t with as everyone knows, a mixture of components from other manufacturers. This one has a lovely tan interior ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

Once you keep it at 88 mph walls don't matter:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It was an advanced safety car back when it was first designed. It even had airbags!

It's actually visible inflating in the second slow shot of that video. I'd love one, my dream car.

Someone had knew at a boards meet before with a hitch fitted.

C'mon off it now!

Who's buying a feckin' DeLorean?! You might aswell be setting your cash on fire, and kicking the ashes in a little child's face.

I mean why buy this:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201601/delorean-will-restar-2_800x0w.jpg

When you can buy this!?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Long_Beach_Comic_Expo_2012_-_A-Team_van_(7186650356).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't see the point in this, if they're restoring original ones and updating them that's fair enough, but if it's a new car using an aged design what's the point.

How will they get around crash legislation? Some kit car exemption or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

If that is just 40mph then that is scary. No hope of surviving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't see the point in this, if they're restoring original ones and updating them that's fair enough, but if it's a new car using an aged design what's the point.

How will they get around crash legislation? Some kit car exemption or something?

Funny thing is you would get cheap classic insurance for that but if you rocked up with a 10 year old avensis, they will tell you the dangers and hammer your insurance.

I'd imagine numbers are being kept low. It's how MG are getting around homogenisation rules with the new MG GS in the UK. If they keep sales below 1000 units in the EU they don't have to crash test them or comply with all legislation

I'd say that it won't be a problem staying under 1000 units if the other models are anything to go by.

They've shut up shop in long bridge (not that they actually ever did anything meaningful there since they took over) so even the most diehard brand enthusiasts in the uk have no reason to buy them.

I'd say that it won't be a problem staying under 1000 units if the other models are anything to go by.

They've shut up shop in long bridge (not that they actually ever did anything meaningful there since they took over) so even the most diehard brand enthusiasts in the uk have no reason to buy them.

Video taken yesterday, MG fired the guy for making it as he offered to rescue any bits for enthusiasts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XqT34ksK8i4&feature=youtu.be

I've a filthy like for an MG3 but I really couldn't. I'm not brave enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »

I've a filthy like for an MG3 but I really couldn't. I'm not brave enough.

I don't see the appeal

I don't see the appeal

I've always just wanted an MG

Then buy a nice one!

Then buy a nice one!

It's like telling a child not to play with matches with me

I love crap cars too, I nearly bought a Dodge Avenger and have toyed with buying a Proton Gen2 at one stage too.

I love crap cars too, I nearly bought a Dodge Avenger and have toyed with buying a Proton Gen2 at one stage too.

Phwoar.

I've often been tempted by a CityRover or Proton Sport back. The lancer based thing from years ago.

Proton Jumbuck pickup too. Stick a mivec v6 in it.

Proton Jumbuck pickup too. Stick a mivec v6 in it.

Someone in Wicklow town had a yellow Jumbuck a few years back. Looked class.

Mind you, a Renault Wind would get my interest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That guy that owns the new Delorean Motor Company is a serious operator and he has the stock of original parts in his ownership.
    I'd like to see him do it and get a few new ones on the road.

• Advertisement

A Renault wind isn't crap though, so it doesn't count.

Advertisement