Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists Marathon Plan: ADVICE WELCOME!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Weekly round-up:

Monday: 33 mins. Started at what I thought was a reasonable pace, but I did slow down after 20mins or so. I'm putting this down to the heat...
    Tuesday: 5 x 4 min efforts at 4min15/km kind of pace with 15 min warm up and cool down.
    Wednesday: Nothing
    Thursday: I had planned on doing 25mins easy, but something came up...
    Friday: 20mins on a bike
    Saturday: 1hr 04 mins for 11.5km; very comfortable
    Sunday: 25mins with 10mins at 4min40/km pace in the middle

The hard efforts on Tuesday were tough, but I felt good after! Nice to be able to manage a pace after the layoff. The long run felt great, I had a lot left in the tank which is encouraging.

This week will include hills, sprints and a wedding. Mixed bag, really!

Weekly round-up:

Monday: 6 x steady efforts up the Dropping Well hill towards Rathmines
    Tuesday 34mins easy
    Wednesday: 4 x 5min steady/hard efforts, at around 4min20/km pace
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: 35mina easy
    Saturday: 1hr 15 easy.

Good to be back! No ill after effects just yet.

So last week was a good week, followed by my best mates wedding over the weekend, and I'm off to NYC this weekend for a week. This all will scupper training... So my plan is to get long easy runs done at least twice this week and twice next week. I'm actually looking forward to a nice long run around Central Park/along the Hudson.

Fortnightly round-up:

I did a nice long easy 1hr15mins before departing for NYC.

Did a track set of 6 x 800m in Brooklyn in stifling heat. Not fast, but solid efforts. Very gentle jog too and from the track, about a mile or so.

50min early morning Hudson river run x 2.

Also walked a lot. A LOT. Most days was 10 miles and one day in particular I walked 17 miles sightseeing before going for dinner, drinks, etc. While this is not really relevant, it has made the distance of the marathon a lot more tangible and digestible. It has me confident of being able to finish despite the injuries, weddings, life crises, etc., even if not in the time I had hoped for.

Back to proper workouts and the 10miler this weekend.

Going to preemptively post this now.

This week has been solid:

Monday: 8 x hill repeats (Dropping Well towards Rathmines Road). 12 min warm up and cool down.
    Tuesday: 50mins easy
    Wednesday: 5 x 6min efforts, at around 4min15/km pace
    Tonight I'll be doing 20mins easy followed by a few strides to get the legs loosened.

Saturday is the Frank Duffy 10 mile race, as part of the marathon series. Now is when it starts counting!

As mentioned, I am doing this in aid of Focus Ireland, and would appreciate any and all help, big or small. My donation page is linked below. If anyone sees a slightly large guy in adidas supernova's wearing a yellow Focus Ireland vest on Saturday, it's likely me, please say hello!

https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11365880_david-o-brien-s-focus-ireland-marathon.html

• Advertisement

As a follow up, I managed 92min41sec officially for the Frank Duffy. Happy enough with that, probably could have broken 90 mins, but I finished feeling like I had another few miles in the tank, so that's positive. A light 30min run today and lots of furniture moving to flush the legs out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well done on the FD. Careful with the furniture!

Well done on the FD. Careful with the furniture!

Furniture went fine, fortunately! Thanks for the well wishes. Also have a few anonymous donations; if any originated here, thank you kindly!

Weekly Round-Up:

Monday: 10 x hills
    Tuesday: 50 mins
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 15min warm-up, 4 x 8mins at effort, 10min cool down
    Friday: 35 mins easy
    Saturday: 1hr 50mins, around 12.5 miles
    Sunday: whoops. Was meant to do 25mins easy before today, but I had too much wine for my mum's birthday and just didn't...

Solid week. A little bit of achilles stiffness, but overall feel good! Last 2 miles of the long run were laboured, but no surprise there... I had to get it done quickly before a wedding, so looking forward to 15miles this weekend followed by putting the feet up!

Weekly roundup:

Monday: 4 x mile repeats with my coach. 7min 25ish on average around bushy park. They were tough, but my legs were just feeling so heavy. Delighted I managed to get through these without a huge drop off in pace!
    Tuesday: My girlfriend is pregnant. We had a scan. I make no apologies for not running! We're expecting in Jan. So excited!
    Wednesday: 52mins easy. Some sharp pai to my inside left shin
    Thursday: 50min progression. The above pain is worsenning...
    Friday: 30mins very, very easy. Coaches advice is to skip the 15mile run tomorrow. Following an argument, we agree to do no more than last week.
    Saturday: 1hr 45mins, covering 12 miles. Did Heartbreak Hill in there too. I can see it being a pain after a half marathon!
    Sunday: physio. Dry needling. No fun whatsoever.

Legs too stiff to run today, but a revised week hopefully culminating in about 16 miles easy this weekend. Mixed week, but must focus on the positives, including feeling fresh enough after 12 miles on Saturday on sub-optimal legs.

• Advertisement

Weekly roundup:

Monday: rest, legs were still in bits after the dry-needling. That is a hateful form of physio...
    Tuesday: 50mins easy, legs did actually feel better for the dry needles.
    Wednesday: 30mins easy.
    Thursday: 15min warm up, 4 x strides, 5 x 1km efforts at 4min 15 pace with 2 min recovery between, 12min cool down.
    Friday: 30min easy.
    Saturday: 15 miles. First half was with a mate, chatted away, second half was solo and included once over heartbreak hill to try that while tired. That last little kick is tough...
    Sunday: very stiff after yesterday, so 25mins recovery amd a half hour on the foam roller.

Overall, I'm becoming worried by how little time is left! The long run this weeked was comforting, breaking the half marathon mark before having to do the half marathon next weekend... I actually finished the 15miles thinking I could have been either faster or out for another 30mins, so there are good markers there. But another 11 miles?! Colour me scared...

Weekly round-up:

Monday: Did a 35min run wit thr middle 15mins at threshold. Was meant to do hills, but got delayed in work and did a threshold effort as a work-around/stress reliever...
    Tuesday: felt a little unwell, so rested.
    Wednesday: 10 min warm-up, 5 x 7min threshold efforts, 4 x strides, 10min cool down
    Thursday: 50mins easy
    Friday: 20min super easy to clear the legs before the half marathon
    Saturday: Dublin Half Marathon, 1hr 58min46sec. Delighted to break 2hrs!

Now the half... That was a farce. Traffic was mental. Course was poor, the start was a mess with a mile walk from the gathering point to the start line, the water stations were 40% of what was advertised and the finish was comical running against the earlier finishers walking the several miles back to their cars. I've done lots of sports events, and other events beside.

Comfortably that was the worst thing I've ever paid money to do.

Nonetheless, happy with my time, and definitely had miles left in the legs. Still, the idea of doing that again... Scary!

Obviously, I'm doing this for a worthy cause and would LOVE your help. The homeless crisis is worsening. Every little bit helps. Please donate below if you can at all.

https://www.idonate.ie/DavidsFocusMarathon

Thanks all!

Weekly round-up:

Monday: 25mins super easy.
    Tuesday: 25mins at tempo followed by dry needling. I honestly nearly fell on my face after I tried to stand up after the physio session...
    Wednesday: I found walking an achievement.
    Thursday: 55mins steady.
    Friday: Rested/ did housework.
    Saturday: I did the BOI couch to 5k in Leopardstown. I ran 11km to it, the 5km in about 26mins, and 11km home. So 27km (16.5 miles) in 2hr 16mins total. Felt pretty good overall, but definitely tired by the end of it!
    Sunday: Housework I'm afraid... Some furniture building and lots of lifting stuff. No running though...

Definitely know that I'm making progress, but chr*st on a bike, another 10 miles seems a loooong way! More intense week planned this week with a longer run again at the weekend. My coach/physio is making the point that with a lot of people who've been training as long as I have for this, they're as strong as they need to be, and are now managing mileage. With me, because of the broken ankle, I'm still building strength. Time is running out now anyway!

Weekly round-up:

Monday: Easy 30mins
    Tuesday: 15min warm up, 10 x 1 min hardest pace manageable with 1 min recovery between,
    Wednesday: 35min easy
    Thursday: 60min progression run, increasing speed from 40mins
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 19miles LSR

19 miles. Never thought it would finish! Bit stiff today, but overall not too bad. In typical fashion, I struggled to stay awake in the cinema last night and then struggled to get to sleep when I got home, leading to a bit of sluggishness today, but c'est la vie. Easier week now, 20 miles next weekend before a taper. Feeling prepped!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Weekly round-up:

Monday: Easy 30mins
    Tuesday: 15min warm up, 10 x 1 min hardest pace manageable with 1 min recovery between,
    Wednesday: 35min easy
    Thursday: 60min progression run, increasing speed from 40mins
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 19miles LSR

19 miles. Never thought it would finish! Bit stiff today, but overall not too bad. In typical fashion, I struggled to stay awake in the cinema last night and then struggled to get to sleep when I got home, leading to a bit of sluggishness today, but c'est la vie. Easier week now, 20 miles next weekend before a taper. Feeling prepped!

20 miles two weeks out from the marathon wouldn't be my cup of tea! I reckon it'll do you more harm than good. Would you consider 16 this weekend and 13 week before the race??

Gavlor wrote: »
    20 miles two weeks out from the marathon wouldn't be my cup of tea! I reckon it'll do you more harm than good. Would you consider 16 this weekend and 13 week before the race??

I'm neck down and letting my coach do the thinking to be honest!

I know it's not the traditional recommended plan, but I had a substantial setback a few months ago when breaking my ankle. We reviewed the plan and this is what she is telling me to do. So far, she has been nothing but totally right, so I won't doubt her yet!

Weekly round-up:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: I had planned on getting 30mins easy done, but one thing led to another, and well... I didn't.
    Wednesday: 35mins easy
    Thursday: 15min warm up, 2 miles at 8min15 pace, 1 mile at 7min30 pace, 1 mile at 9min pace, 2 miles at 8min15 pace, 15min cool down.
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 20miles, just over 3 hrs
    Sunday: Rest

Saturday was horrible. Never settled, bad chaffing on sensitive bits resulting in the infamous red streaks down my top, and generally felt horrible. However, based on actual time, I ran quite strongly throughout, with the middle hour in particular being pretty quick. I finished feeling like I didn't have much left, to be honest. Will need to pace myself better on the day.

Weekly round up with just 1 week to go!

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Easy 30 mins
    Wednesday: Easy 30 mins
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Felt sick post flu-vaccine
    Saturday: Easy 12 miles. Felt fantastic!
    Sunday: Rest

Can't wait for Sunday! Generally feel good now, more rested, stronger and excited. Focus this week is on 4 short easy runs of 5km or so at super slow effort and eating right.

And so it is almost upon us.

This week has been super easy, mostly either sitting or lying down, eating well and a few easy 4km runs. I can't do any more than I have now done, and honestly, I feel pretty good physically! Fingers crossed on the day!

Like many people, I am doing this for a good cause, in my case for Focus Ireland, in aid of those affected by homelessness. IF you can, I would appreciate any small amount of help. Little, large, it absolutely all helps:

https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11365880_david-o-brien-s-focus-ireland-marathon.html

Thanks all!

To everyone lining out on Sunday, best of luck. Been a journey for each one of us, and if I'm anything to go by, we've all learned something about ourselves in the process. Go well everyone!

So I ran a marathon.

What an amazing event! I just cannot get over the amount of support and the positivity on the day. Comfortably the best event I've ever done.

I ran ok, got 4hr23. I ran well until mile 18 when I passed my brother. He's an experienced marathon runner with a PB that I'd not be able to achieve, so that had me worried. I stopped for a chat with him, and he told me he was ok, just sore, and I should just keep going and do my best. On I went, getting over Heartbreak Hill and down to the RTE tower before I needed a walk. At this point, my brother and his mate caught up with me, but now he was looking shook. He didn't think he could run any further, and was unsure if he'd even finish or stop at the Merrion Centre. After we talked for a bit, we decided to do a minute running, a minute walking until Mount St and jog the finish if we could, but no matter what, we were going to cross the line together. On the home stretch, we spotted our parents, his partner, my (pregnant) partner... I risk turning to clichés to describe how emotional this was. Training since February, through rain, sleet, snow, heat, pain, everything, it just all trailed behind me. It was just incredible.

Never again, until the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great stuff. Well done on coming back from the ankle break to get over the line. Support makes a difference.

Great stuff. Well done on coming back from the ankle break to get over the line. Support makes a difference.

Thanks Black Oil! The support was overwhelming. I've been lucky enough to play a few sports to a decent enough level in the past, but NOTHING comes close to the support in the marathon. It was just incredible.

Advertisement