Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Macy0161 wrote:
    7 Speed cassette on an 11 Speed Hub - am I right in thinking 4.5mm spacer on top of the 8/9 speed spacer? And then adjust the limit screws? I'm thinking of having the old beater as a permanent turbo bike. It's a smart direct drive turbo, so came with the 8/9/10 speed spacer. Any reason it wouldn't work?

Macy0161 wrote:
    In erg mode, and going on sheldon, I could probably mix and match cassette and chain with the 7 speed chainset and derailuers as I wouldn't have to change gears, but I haven't ruled out a go at zwift, which I think would require having gearing...

If all your using is erg mode it should be fine. If free riding in zwift im not sure how accurate the shifting would be. Might as well give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If all your using is erg mode it should be fine. If free riding in zwift im not sure how accurate the shifting would be. Might as well give it a try.
    Ordered the cassette and spacers, so we'll see. Loving erg mode so far - only have to change gear for spin downs as I'm spinning out!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Macy0161 wrote:
    Ordered the cassette and spacers, so we'll see. Loving erg mode so far - only have to change gear for spin downs as I'm spinning out!

I love doing sweetspot training on zwift in erg mode. Boosted my fitness higher than its ever been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've just picked up a pair of zondas and a new groupset. i suspect i'll soon be putting the mb in "mb's 'no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so - carbon newbie here. what torque setting is typical for the bolt attaching the brake calipers to the frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

To degrease chain or not !!  Recently got one of those KMC DLC chains cause I like the colour :)  Now it's time to clean it and KMC say not to use degreaser especially with a chain cleaning machine.  Apparently the factory grease is injected into the bearings before the chain is assembled and this stuff can be washed away with degreaser and can never really be replaced.  I think they only recently changed the wording to 'aggressive' degreasers.   Does mucoff bio chain cleaner count as aggressive or should I stick to fairy liquid ?

http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

so - carbon newbie here. what torque setting is typical for the bolt attaching the brake calipers to the frame?

Parts of the frame like brake calliper mounting areas will have a metal insert inside the carbon, so the torque requirements should be similar to an aluminium frame.
    The parts of a carbon frame which are torque-sensitive are those where it's not possible to have any metal inserts, and you really are clamping on carbon - typically the back of the stem (if the fork steerer is carbon), the front of the stem (if the bars are carbon) and the seat clamp.

cheers - i'd figured that must be the case, but obviously wasn't going to work on that assumption without confirmation!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

My pressfit BB was creaking under load, so I got a press (the Lifeline one) and a removal tool (the Park Tool one) and set about replacing it. I thought I'd done a pretty good job. I cleaned the shell, and applied Loctite to the new BB, since I'd heard that's how you ensure there's no creak.

But it didn't ensure there was no creak. In fact, the creak was worse.

So I got a new BB, and replaced it a second time, this time using grease instead of Loctite.

The creak isn't as bad as it was with the Loctite, but it's no better than it was to begin with. It's a road bike with a Shimano BB94 bottom bracket.

Can anyone recommend a decent time machine so I can go back and strangle whoever invented pressfit BBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

My pressfit BB was creaking under load, so I got a press (the Lifeline one) and a removal tool (the Park Tool one) and set about replacing it. I thought I'd done a pretty good job. I cleaned the shell, and applied Loctite to the new BB, since I'd heard that's how you ensure there's no creak.

So I got a new BB, and replaced it a second time, this time using grease instead of Loctite.

The creak isn't as bad as it was with the Loctite, but it's no better than it was to begin with. It's a road bike with a Shimano BB94 bottom bracket.

Can anyone recommend a decent time machine so I can go back and strangle whoever invented pressfit BBs?
    I'm considering fitting a Wheels Manufacturing Threaded PF30 BB when the time comes to replace my PF30 BB. The two sides screw together to clamp the BB into the frame, hopefully creak-free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you sure its the BB and not the chainring bolts????

Are you sure its the BB and not the chainring bolts????

I'm not completely sure, so that's worth investigating. But the creak got much worse with BB#2, and then reverted to its previous level with BB#3. So I'm inclined to think it's the BB installation rather than chainring bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm not completely sure, so that's worth investigating. But the creak got much worse with BB#2, and then reverted to its previous level with BB#3. So I'm inclined to think it's the BB installation rather than chainring bolts.

But if the creak is caused by the bolts...the creak will remain regardless of the number of BB's replaced. It could also be the pedals?

could be the headset. could be the spokes...

07Lapierre wrote: »
    But if the creak is caused by the bolts...the creak will remain regardless of the number of BB's replaced. It could also be the pedals?

What I'm saying is that the creak actually got worse when I changed the BB. And then improved slightly when I changed it again. I don't see how this would be possible if it was something else causing it, like chainring bolts or headset or pedals. If it was, you'd expect that changing the BB would have no impact on the creak.

It definitely feels and sounds like a BB installation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What I'm saying is that the creak actually got worse when I changed the BB. And then improved slightly when I changed it again. I don't see how this would be possible if it was something else causing it, like chainring bolts or headset or pedals. If it was, you'd expect that changing the BB would have no impact on the creak.

It definitely feels and sounds like a BB installation issue.

Fair enough, your probably right...it's just you've changed the BB 3 times now so if it was me, I'd start considering other possible causes.

I've had lots of creaks/squeaks/ knocking noises etc. And none of them were the BB itself. Pedals, cranks, wheels, headsets...they can all creak and they all sound like they are coming from the BB.

i've had creaks from 3 different areas in the last few years (talking about the bike only here); BB (needed tightening); rear hub, and at the spoke nipples on the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not really bike maintenance but it may require an adjustment....

I'm getting friction on one side only so trying to get to the root cause of it.

Could dropping the saddle 5mm possibly help?

Loose cleats was one of my "BB" creaks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Replaced a creaking BB last week (not press fit) and while it solved the problem, the BB that came out didn't look to damaged so it could have been a tightening issue. Probably obvious, but did you thoroughly clean the hole in the frame prior to putting the new BB in, as any small amount of gunk or sediment there could cause the problem. As others have said, worth checking the chain bolts and putting a different set of pedals on to eliminate them from the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

What's the consensus on front wheel skewer arrangement on disc brake bikes? Lever on left or right?
    I've mine on the right, to 'balance' the disc, but I've spotted a few bikes lately with the lever on the left. This arguably looks better, given that the rear skewer lever is always on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

What's the best way to figure out what BB a crank is? Have an old power2max power meter I forgot I had, on a set of rotor 3d+ cranks, I think it's for BB30 but not 100% sure. Any tips on how to figure it out??

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

outfox wrote: »
    What's the consensus on front wheel skewer arrangement on disc brake bikes? Lever on left or right?
    I've mine on the right, to 'balance' the disc, but I've spotted a few bikes lately with the lever on the left. This arguably looks better, given that the rear skewer lever is always on the left.

I'd always have the front wheel's lever on the left, to match the rear, which is always on the left to be opposite the drivetrain (and not be in the way of the rear derailleur).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd always have the front wheel's lever on the left, to match the rear, which is always on the left to be opposite the drivetrain (and not be in the way of the rear derailleur).

I have always had them opposite, I dislike them on the same side although I see no reason not too.

Following on from all the dynamo talk - I'm not missing anything in thinking that a 28" wheel will fit a road bike? Minimum recommended tyres are in the range of what I have had fitted in the past (1.1inch, which is 28mm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Dropped the bike to to my LBS, first time using them, needed a cassette and chain I mentioned it should be a 116 link Shimano HG-X chain but they fitted a 114 link Sram chain now I've some slippage on the front and the chain drops onto the lower ring under load. LBS is recommending replacing the chain rings on the front now saying the chain doesn't matter, bike has about 5k kms on it should the chainrings last longer? I'm thinking put the correct chain on it first then lets see about the chain rings?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Put the chain into large front and large back and see what strain the derailleur is under. It sounds more like the chain is too long rather than a chain issue. SRAM chains are my preference over Shimano but that's a personal thing. I think they last better but pretty sure its all in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Its almost horizontal in that position

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Dropped the bike to to my LBS, first time using them, needed a cassette and chain I mentioned it should be a 116 link Shimano HG-X chain but they fitted a 114 link Sram chain now I've some slippage on the front and the chain drops onto the lower ring under load. LBS is recommending replacing the chain rings on the front now saying the chain doesn't matter, bike has about 5k kms on it should the chainrings last longer? I'm thinking put the correct chain on it first then lets see about the chain rings?

I'm certainly no expert, so hopefully you get a better response from someone else. But I thought SRAM and Shimano chains were completely interchangeable, so I wouldn't have a massive issue with what they've done there. In fact, SRAM have a magic link or powerlink or whatever they call it, making it easier to work with.

In terms of the number of links, if there's slippage with 114, you'd expect it to be worse with 116, no? It's certainly true that a brand new chain (even with the correct number of links) on a worn cassette or chainrings can cause problems.

Advertisement