Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does my own child will call me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

amtc wrote: »
    Not quite the same but but my aunts and uncles spouses call my nana 'mam'. She isn't! My dad only one to call her Mrs xxxx

My in-laws tried this one on me too - calling my husband's grandmother 'granny', she's not my granny! I insist on referring to her by her first name. I have an aunt who calls her mother-in-law "mum", drives me mad!

OP, you have to balance a respectful relationship with your stepchildren with a respectful relationship with the children's biological parent, that means acknowledging that while you are in their life and a father-figure, you are 'uncle' or John or Pat or whatever works. To your own child, you will be 'dad', it shouldn't be an issue, children are very accepting of family situations as whatever it is, it is normal and everyday to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Blended family here. One kid each, none together. Each one of them refers to their parent as mam/dad. And each of them refers to the step parent by their first name.
    When they're talking to each other they use the step parents first name.
    So if one is talking to the other they'll use the same. Mum/dad for their own parent and first name for the other ones parent.
    They're older though so it may be more confusing with smaller kids.
    If we have one of our own it'd call us mam and dad and the other kids other parent by their first name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I live in my parents with my son, since he was 1.5 years. I call'em Ma and Da, he calls them Granny and Granda. He hasn't had any issues with getting mixed up. He calls me Daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Goose81

ABIBA wrote: »
    I have a son with my partner who is 1 ye ar old and my partner already has 2 children . We live together and we have been together for 5 years . Her kids calls me uncle .how is my son going to call me ? Dady or uncle to follow his siblings? And what do I tell my partner about this issue ?

Whatever you want him to call you, its your son. The uncle thing doesnt help, they should call you by your first name.

Advertisement