Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian - Yes or No?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think any of those things come close to matching the taste of meat, maybe things have changed recently but compared to the real thing they taste like cardboard, expecting them to taste like real meat probably makes the experience even worse for most meat eaters.

I think I even remember that the makers of these substitutes are trying to avoid comparisons with real meat in their advertising because it will mean disappointment to meat eaters and a reminder to recent vegetarians of what their missing. They'd rather just be labelled as a vegetarian food with no mention of being a meat substitute.

I'm not going to argue about taste, everyone experiences this differently. I remember trying Quorn "Chicken Style Pieces" back when I was still eating meat and finding them actually tastier than the "real thing".
    But I don't believe that manufacturers are attempting to hide the fact that they produce meat substitute - they call it "Chicken Style Pieces", "Ham Style Slices", sausages and sausage rolls. They place them very close to actual meat products just through the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

I know it's already been said, but if you eat fish, you're NOT a vegetarian.
    I've even come across 'vegetarians' who eat chicken!

Vegetarians see no difference between cows/pigs/fish/birds.
    I'm not preaching, it's just a bugbear of mine.
    I don't call myself vegan even if I practically am - I still eat cheese, so I'm NOT a vegan.

Rant over. Carry on! :D :P

What the hell do they think is attached to a chicken or fish's bones? Lentils!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As a veggie, I avoid leather where possible - no bags, couches, jackets, etc. Jackets & bags now come in polyurethane so it's easy and cheaper to get a substitute.
    The problem is many of the alternative materials can be oil based so come with environmental issues. The thing is leather is a renewable and biodegradable material.

Leather is being produced all the time, it's a byproduct of other markets so it sort of makes sense to use it. You would probably go through 3 or 4 of those alternative oil based items in the life span of a leather product.

Cattle can be viewed as a renewable natural resource, in the same way hemp is a natural renewable resource, it's a part of nature we've exaggerated to exploit and that exaggeration is causing problems (like methane) but it's still a natural process that the natural world can deal with. Synthetic materials require all kinds of processing using chemicals and manufacturing just to make the material, then it goes into clothes production, they do put a massive strain on the environment and produce toxic chemical byproducts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The problem is many of the alternative materials can be oil based so come with environmental issues. The thing is leather is a renewable and biodegradable material.

Leather is being produced all the time, it's a byproduct of other markets so it sort of makes sense to use it. You would probably go through 3 or 4 of those alternative oil based items in the life span of a leather product.

Cattle can be viewed as a renewable natural resource, in the same way hemp is a natural renewable resource, it's a part of nature we've exaggerated to exploit and that exaggeration is causing problems (like methane) but it's still a natural process that the natural world can deal with. Synthetic materials require all kinds of processing using chemicals and manufacturing just to make the material, then it goes into clothes production, they do put a massive strain on the environment and produce toxic chemical byproducts.

Bags and jackets thankfully also come in cotton, hemp, wool and other natural materials. There's no shortage of choice, particularly online :)

But shoes are where I compromise. I've trouble enough fining nice pairs that fit, if I restricted myself on material as well I honestly don't know where would get any at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

"Fairly well" is a good way of discribing it, for anyone growing for their own consumption it's fine, but when it comes to making a commercially viable enterprise out of growing veg it becomes much more borderline. It can be done, but there is a big risk the crop will fail due to whether, even growing commercially viable apples is borderline in Ireland, I had a friend that wanted to grow apples in Galway but was told it wouldn't work out because we get to much rain in the west.

I don't think any of those things come close to matching the taste of meat, maybe things have changed recently but compared to the real thing they taste like cardboard, expecting them to taste like real meat probably makes the experience even worse for most meat eaters.

I think I even remember that the makers of these substitutes are trying to avoid comparisons with real meat in their advertising because it will mean disappointment to meat eaters and a reminder to recent vegetarians of what their missing. They'd rather just be labelled as a vegetarian food with no mention of being a meat substitute.
    That's pretty unfair on cardboard, tbh.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Personally I found Dee's brand of veggie foods watery and tasteless and found a hair in a veggie sausage by the brand, but there's another company called Ethica who make good vegetarian sausages called Sizzlers. They have more flavour than a meat sausage. I was never that keen on Linda McCartney foods.

Shergar6 wrote: »
    I am vegetarian and ...... i still eat fish!

If fish is good for the brain I would think you would realise you are not a vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

And meat eaters are preachy?

Yes. Yes they are. Meat eaters really need to recover from the fact that some people have different diets to them. I've been vegetarian for yunks and some of the absurd reactions it gets are really quite disproportionate. I don't care what other people eat, nor do I inflict my lifestyle choices on others. I'd thank carnivores for returning the compliment.

Advertisement