Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter, where are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It's feckin' tshirt weather out there today

Wet tshirt weather where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I absolutely LOVE the cold and the dark evenings. Not a fan of the snow but love me some frost and pure cold. Those clear sunny mornings with white grass are days I live for. I absolutely cannot stand the summer, especially the summers in Ireland which are generally wet, humid muggy days at 19C. Give me the dark depths of winter any day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Terrible drive to town in deluges and spotflooding..Now darkening and all there is out there is thick fog.... saw daffodils out in town too, alongside the jaunting cars still decked out as sleighs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Graces7 wrote: »
    Terrible drive to town in deluges and spotflooding..Now darkening and all there is out there is thick fog.... saw daffodils out in town too, alongside the jaunting cars still decked out as sleighs...

If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that was part of a poem I learnt in school.

Finish it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I know it's kind of chilly out the last couple of nights, but it's supposed to warm up again in the next few days. I remember when I was a kid, so many mornings where the Dublin mountains were white, and the grass on the way to school was crunchy with frost. This would have been the late 80s and 90s.
    Am I romanticising the past? Or is global warming taking hold? I can't remember any snow or ice last year really...
    I'm not even a fan of the cold, I'm just worried the whole weather system is f*cked!

Well, global warming is happening but still, we've had recent winters that have been that cold. And I recall that the winters were very variable when I was a kid in the late 80s and 90s. Some winters you'd see hardly any frost. We've had a few cold spells in Dublin so far this winter. I don't think continuous cold was ever a feature of the Irish winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Right but the two worst winters 5 years ago or so were both at full steam in Dec and Jan

Those cold spells were truly exceptional and they didn't even last more than a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's two posts in a row now Jaimie.

I know it's Friday, but you really need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's two posts in a row now Jaimie.

I know it's Friday, but you really need to calm down.

Funny how he could play a rugby game at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's normal. And some varieties of daffodil are supposed to flower in January.

Winter cold is relative, my Indian colleague arrived at work today dressed like an Eskimo (he went back to Chennai (Madras) over Christmas), he was absolutely freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Its just approaching cold here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Friends of mine in bulgaria are having a great white time of it at the moment.
    We have a small chance of a flutter before the end of january.

Winterlong wrote: »
    Friends of mine in bulgaria are having a great white time of it at the moment.
    We have a small chance of a flutter before the end of january.

After next weekend, great. I will be well housed then and they say it is lovely where I am going

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Graces7 wrote: »
    After next weekend, great. I will be well housed then and they say it is lovely where I am going

Good to see you back on these forums Graces7. You were gone for a while and your contributions were greatly missed on the Weather forum.

Don't leave without telling us again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am in a igloo at the moment with a group inuit lads smoking hash yup yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

February - March

St. Patrick's day is always freezing. Winter be around by then.

I got sunburned in London last St Patrick's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I know it's kind of chilly out the last couple of nights, but it's supposed to warm up again in the next few days. I remember when I was a kid, so many mornings where the Dublin mountains were white, and the grass on the way to school was crunchy with frost. This would have been the late 80s and 90s.
    Am I romanticising the past? Or is global warming taking hold? I can't remember any snow or ice last year really...
    I'm not even a fan of the cold, I'm just worried the whole weather system is f*cked!

Its too warm all over for this time of year, even the ski resorts in the Alps are suffering this year with a lack of snow. Global warming apart, they say that 'El Niño' is making a big impact on global weather patterns this winter . . .

Hopefully normal weather will return when El Niño has passed.

Good to see you back on these forums Graces7. You were gone for a while and your contributions were greatly missed on the Weather forum.

Don't leave without telling us again. :)

Thanks; now I am blushing.. Will see what happens after the move. I have been in limbo the last while re being evictd and deeply grateful for the companionship here, believe me,

Still have to sort out internet access at the new place...

degsie wrote: »
    Not really, our weather will be coming down from the North Atlantic, not from mainland Europe. Different cold.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Winter IS coming.

Nailed it!

Advertisement