Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter, where are you?

Options
  • 04-01-2017 11:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

I know it's kind of chilly out the last couple of nights, but it's supposed to warm up again in the next few days. I remember when I was a kid, so many mornings where the Dublin mountains were white, and the grass on the way to school was crunchy with frost. This would have been the late 80s and 90s.
    Am I romanticising the past? Or is global warming taking hold? I can't remember any snow or ice last year really...
    I'm not even a fan of the cold, I'm just worried the whole weather system is f*cked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭gifted

There's daffodils after blossoming in some gardens over here in galway ffs.....birds will be hatching next week at this rate and we will have the winter in july....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's over the Baltic states Poland and will stretch to turkey and Greece in next couple days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Im in warsaw and I can guarantee you winter is here.
    Friday is predicting a real feel of -19 ffs.
    Delighted I'm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

February - March

St. Patrick's day is always freezing. Winter be around by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

February - March

St. Patrick's day is always freezing. Winter be around by then.

Right but the two worst winters 5 years ago or so were both at full steam in Dec and Jan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Winter IS coming.

Right but the two worst winters 5 years ago or so were both at full steam in Dec and Jan

We can only hope. Could use some time off work.

"Hey roads are closed, cant make it in"

*Load up some battlefield 1*

We can only hope. Could use some time off work.

"Hey roads are closed, cant make it in"

*Load up some battlefield 1*

I was still cycling to work, in Dublin. As long as you go slow and keep your wheels in the parts where the cars have been driving already it's not that bad.

I was still cycling to work, in Dublin. As long as you go slow and keep your wheels in the parts where the cars have been driving already it's not that bad.

No, its too dangerous. Far too dangerous to get to work. It be a health and safety issue. Icey and snow filled roads, cars abandoned, roads block, nothing moving, women having babies on the side of the road, zombie sheep roaming.

Its just safer to take the day off.

• Advertisement

No, its too dangerous. Far too dangerous to get to work. It be a health and safety issue. Icey and snow filled roads, cars abandoned, roads block, nothing moving, women having babies on the side of the road, zombie sheep roaming.

Its just safer to take the day off.

I know, tonnes of people do that, but it's rubbish really. Same in England though, but when it's bad here it tends to be worse there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

A cyclist going really slow in car tracks on an icy road ........... what could possibly go wrong!??!!! :rolleyes:

MadDog76 wrote: »
    A cyclist going really slow in car tracks on an icy road ........... what could possibly go wrong!??!!! :rolleyes:

Nothing, evidently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Kind of chilly? Last night was like a giant freezer. And I'm not a cold person.

It was very mild at Christmas for sure, but a few weeks before that there was a sharp cold. Having boiler problems I remember it well.

Irish winters have always had a large share of mild and wet conditions with bits and bobs of fresh, frosty weather thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Combination of both. Ireland and the rest of the world have gotten warmer since you were a child, but Irelands climate was still cool temperate when you were a child, which means mild wet winters with relatively little snow or ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't know about that I know several cautious drivers who crashed or skidded and nearly crashed during those two snowy winters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Isn't mild and wet kind of the norm in Ireland? We can still get the odd cold snap obviously, we've had a few so far this winter.

Eastern Europeans have told me that they like our winters. Considering the average winter climates in their countries I don't blame them.

I'll take wind and rain over weeks of sub zero temps, snow and ice any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Do you remember the time we ran out of grit.
    And there was a ship on the way with salt. With daily updates
    on where the ship was.
    I guess weather can be kind of cyclical some times. Kind of seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Love some cold weather! Sleeping with no duvee and a fan blowing on me and still sweating in 30° heat at night!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland has had pretty mild winters for as long as I can remember and I'm nearly 42. There were more snowy winters in the 80s but this was in Jan/Feb as opposed to December. I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 white Christmasses.

I like snow but hate the difficulty getting around. April last year was very cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

We need a right good freeze to bring the Cod in - feck all around and I aint driving to youghal for feck all fish - I havnt been fishing in ages!!!! Come on - freeeeeze!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I had a 6 degree change in temperature on my 30km trip to work this morning. 5 degrees at home. -1 at work.
    Winter is here, but not everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Even despite climatic changes, Ireland has always had fcuked up, changeable weather to be fair. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Flimpson wrote: »
    Kind of chilly? Last night was like a giant freezer. And I'm not a cold person.

It was very mild at Christmas for sure, but a few weeks before that there was a sharp cold. Having boiler problems I remember it well.

Irish winters have always had a large share of mild and wet conditions with bits and bobs of fresh, frosty weather thrown in.

Thanks;I was beginning to wonder if no one else was feeling the cold, as I am shivering the last three days...

And fear not! There will be snow 13th-14th as I am moving house from one mountain top to another and the way this move has gone it WILL BLIZZARD!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The corpo still put out those big yellow bins full of salt for gritting. Can't remember the last time they were used.

12c tomorrow is forecast. I'm pretty sure there were days last June and July that struggled to reach 12c. Weird bloody weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

12c tomorrow is forecast. I'm pretty sure there were days last June and July that struggled to reach 12c. Weird bloody weather.

Good news. I have not been well enough to go out this week and have 1/4 bag of turf and a shovel of coal between me and extinction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I for one am quite enjoying this mild winter.. I HATE the cold!

Never understand how overjoyed some get over freezing temperatures and ice. It just causes chaos if you're trying to get around in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ireland will a heck of a lot more often than not be the northernmost snow free country in any given northern hemisphere Winter. The UK is just that little but very important bit closer to Scandinavia and the continent to be in with more of a chance of their snowy scraps. We on the otherhand are just that little but very important bit closer to the Atlantic, gulfstream and usual location of the Jetstream that pushes/holds back the continental cold. If you are a snow lover we are the most unluckiest country on Earth. If you are a snow hater or ambivalent about snow we are the luckiest country on earth....but really, luck doesnt come into it at all. Geaography and climate patterns are what they are.

• Advertisement

It's feckin' tshirt weather out there today

Advertisement