Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing newborns clothes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Might have used non bio with the first for a bit, certainly didn't keep that up either, whatever powder was grand. What I did become particular about were wipes, even ones that claimed to be water based were very harsh and caused rashes, find one brand and stick to it.

I'd agree with this, baby wipes are more likely to bring baby out in a rash. Cotton wool at the start, then water wipes and then Huggies pure, but never on their faces - it's a pet peeve seeing people doing this.

I've bought girl and boy sleep suits this time and will be returning the ones I don't need, so I won't be washing them. The vests however, I have washed. If you have time, it's a nice way to prepare, but it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

So after reading this thread I've just washed everything! Patiently waiting on it all to dry so I can repack my hospital bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

We wash everything. It was a pain in the a** before baby arrived but we still do it now A year later as he is prone to eczema. Can't use non bio fairy either as it's too harsh on babas skin.
    Totally up to the parents there is no right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

No I never bothered. I asked my midwife about it because my friend kept harping on and the midwife told me theres no need

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Washed the first lot, didn't bother after that. Stopped using nonbio after 2-3 months as well. All fine.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I washed everything. It was only one load of laundry and it was kinda fun to do. All the tiny things drying was exciting, made getting ready for baby very real.

Same here. I did it for the newborn stuff when I was preparing my hospital bag too. I just liked to have it freshly washed, I'm on the fence about dangerous chemicals etc.

It really got us excited to see the teeny tiny vests and babygros hanging on the clothes dryer and the tiny pile of ironing. It was so cute! It's one of my favourite memories from pregnancy - and I hate ironing! :D

If parents don't want to do it, they don't have to - same as most things baby related, you find the way of doing things that suits you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Washed the first lot, didn't bother after that. Stopped using nonbio after 2-3 months as well. All fine.

We were the same, the first got his clothes washed, non-bio etc. our poor second was the typical second child, she didn't get hers washed & I didn't fuss about washing powder.
    While I saw no difference & am not convinced there is a difference I would agree it exciting to see all the little babygros & vests lined up drying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

As someone who has worked in clothing stores for a very long time, I would not recommend putting anything on either yourself or a baby fresh from the store.

Most clothes are sprayed with chemicals to stop mould and insects and have dye on them. White clothes are often full of bleach to make them look spotless white on the shelves. The companies making the clothes expect you to wash them first so do not prewash any clothes after the dyeing process.

The trucks these clothes come off of are dusty and very dirty, they look clean because of the bleach or extra dye, it's all just sales tricks. The trucks usually deliver lots of things to different stores, not just clothes to one store. They are very rarely covered in enough plastic to protect them and they always, ALWAYS, stink to high heaven when first unpacked from the manky box.

Storerooms are generally pretty manky aswell. The store gets cleaned every night by cleaners but the storerooms never get a clean. They stink and are full of dust and cardboard. My hands used to be wrecked going through clothes in the back room to put out front. Some clothes, especially stuff that is always selling like baby gros, socks, bibs and knickers are usually left in huge black bags or in their manky box for weeks until a shelf needs stocking up.

On the floor itself clothes get walked on, tried on and put straight back out, returned from peoples homes (who might smoke or have pets) and as long as it looks okay it goes back out on the shelves, dragged around under trolleys or buggies, touched by many, many, snotty, disgusting, people and thrown/kicked under dusty shelves. Even if it's in a plastic pack, people love opening these things up and throwing them around. We just pack them up again and back up on the shelf.

I don't know how to explain in any other way - never, just never, put stuff on you straight from the store. Most especially a new baby. Just, no, don't. Big nope here.

Also, never, ever, put earrings from Claires straight into your ears - just saying - people like to try them on and put them back on the shelf........I've seen this happen alot, like all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We washed everything (and continue to do so) that we got. As someone said above, the initial newborn bits and pieces are quite fun to wash... the first step into the tiny baby world :) Now as we get bigger clothes (2 months now but into the 3-6M size) we just throw them in with her dirty clothes and muslins so it's not much more effort at all. Question is though when do we stop this practice... probably when she moves into 6-9M clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No I never bothered. I asked my midwife about it because my friend kept harping on and the midwife told me theres no need

TBH, if you asked the next midwife you'd get a different answer. One of our midwives was on to us by day 3 to make sure we bathed our girl soon while another midwife on day 4 was delighted to hear we hadn't bathed her yet (something about the bacteria on her skin) and hoped we'd hold out a while longer. Both with the best of intentions and with valid arguments but you really get a "personal" take on the advice you get from midwives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement