Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing newborns clothes?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Is it true that you should wash a newborns brand new clothes before they wear them? I've honestly never heard of this practice until today, is this the norm? I asked my mother but she never heard of it either, is it a new thing based on what new clothes are like
    today compared to 30 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I would seriously hope not. Babies aren't as delicate as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

I did anyway. Not sure of its really necessary or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I know it wasn't done years ago but anyone I know who had kids in the last 5 years has definitely done it. I just think of the amount of germy hands touching things or fumes in shops/ factories. It does no harm to do it but may avoid harming their little immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

It seems to be the norm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

We did it the first time around. Second time not and no difference. I think it's something to look out for if the baby develops skin rashes or unexplained sicknesses. Just to be aware of it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I tend to wash clothes when I buy them as I have seen some stinky people waiting in line for the dressing room but not really for newborns.

The only reason I can think of is some clothes have packing around them when they arrive to the shop and there is a small bit of some chemical pump into the packing to prevent damp/smell/ and moths during transport. P***ys is a store that I have heard do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I wasn't planning to

You have to use non-bio washing powder I think though?? I'm not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

A friend of mine had a baby and I washed all the clothes I got him in Fairy Non Bio as I had heard one ought to. What a pain in the arse hanging them all up to dry ( that was only about 10 items!!)- there is no way I can keep that up unless I'm washing dirty clothes.
    On a separate note fire retardant is a chemical I wouldn't want near any child's skin, so am gonna have to check what that has been snuck into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Iv washed everything we've gotten for our baby. I wouldn't expect anyone to wash something before they gave it to us though.

My little one doesn't seem to have any allergies etc, but I'd still feel better giving it a wash before putting something on her. You just never know what chemicals have been used to preserve clothes to make them rail ready for shops. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I washed everything. It was only one load of laundry and it was kinda fun to do. All the tiny things drying was exciting, made getting ready for baby very real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I wash everything, my cousin has had horrible rashes after wearing just bought clothes out of some stores. Probably would stop around 2 or 3 though if they show no signs of sensitive skin. My son didn't until he had a bad viral rash in Oct so back to washing anything new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My friend recently had a baby and she was told by the midwife to wash all the newborn clothes for the first 2 weeks at least, another friend was nodding along in agreement, but i was just like ...what?! From all of the responses I can see the point of washing them, and it really is only one/two load of washing so it's not a huge deal, I just wasn't sure if it was coming from an overprotective point of view or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

I All the tiny things drying was exciting, made getting ready for baby very real.

This! It was lovely washing the little babygros and thinking of the little people coming to fill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

rawn wrote:
    Is it true that you should wash a newborns brand new clothes before they wear them? I've honestly never heard of this practice until today, is this the norm? I asked my mother but she never heard of it either, is it a new thing based on what new clothes are like today compared to 30 years ago?

Yes you should. They're sprayed with fungicide and other chemicals to stop them getting destroyed during transit, from factory to shop. The majority are made in Asia so temperature difference from country to country means condensation can cause clothes to rot.
    Not something you want next to baby skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orangetaster85

So what about a baby whos 6 months old? Are their clothes not sprayed with the same chemical? Why only newborns ? And then suddenly stop spraying clothes for kids aged 6 or even 26 years of age? Do their clothes not rot or get damp?! Sorry but I smell b**l**** and scare mongering new mothers, again! I would only do it because I like the smell of washing power , who doesn't!? The rash things.. sorry but that could of just been in the minority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I normally wash my own brand new clothes, too. Through personal experience I saw how many (possibly dirty) hands touch your clothes before it reaches your wardrobe, even if nobody tries them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

One of my friends had a baby and bought all newborn size for the hospital! Baby was nearly 10lbs so granny bought baby grows 0-3m in. They put them straight on baby and he was grand!

I washed the babygrows for my son and will wash again. I can't remember when I stopped. After a few months? I switched to bio washing powder too as I realised he did not have sensitive skin and it was fine. I read somewhere you are meant to use a baby clothes cycle or if not do an extra rinse too :)
    The smell of persil non bio small and mighty and white comfort always reminds me of baby clothes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

So what about a baby whos 6 months old? Are their clothes not sprayed with the same chemical? Why only newborns ? And then suddenly stop spraying clothes for kids aged 6 or even 26 years of age? Do their clothes not rot or get damp?! Sorry but I smell b**l**** and scare mongering new mothers, again! I would only do it because I like the smell of washing power , who doesn't!? The rash things.. sorry but that could of just been in the minority of people.

I think you are taking it a bit personally. The outrage is a big unnecessary. Wash or don't wash, it's your choice.

I always wash new clothes for me or baby. We both have sensitive skin though

I think you are taking it a bit personally. The outrage is a big unnecessary. Wash or don't wash, it's your choice.

I always wash new clothes for me or baby. We both have sensitive skin though

Exactly ! It's everyone's personal choice to wash their clothes or not! Glad you picked up on that! Mine "personally " is that it's b**l **** : ))))

Exactly ! It's everyone's personal choice to wash their clothes or not! Glad you picked up on that! Mine "personally " is that it's b**l **** : ))))

Newborn skin is much more sensitive than even a 6 month olds, chemicals sprayed on clothing can include formaldehyde. You can call it any name you want (bullsh!t or otherwise) but a quick Google of the list of chemicals sprayed on clothing (adult included) will give you more information.

My 2 year old has eczema, I have it under control through diet but new clothing still has to be washed before she wears it as she'll develop a rash.
    Even non bio washing powder brings it up. Parabens, sls and perfumes affect her too.
    Just because you have no personal experience of a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

So we have to have "personal" experiences to have an opinon on things now? I have no personal experience of kids or myself getting rashes, reactions etc from unwashed clothes! That's my personal experience. You have.. fine! Enjoy your day ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We washed everything that would be in close contact to baby's skin before first use with non-bio powder. It was one load of washing once we'd got what we need. Wasn't that much hassle to do. Newborn skin is quite delicate and I'd rather air on the side of caution.
    Personally, I'll stop prewashing when I finish maternity.. I'm sure it'll be enough time for her skin to be used to air and other every day chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

So we have to have "personal" experiences to have an opinon on things now? I have no personal experience of kids or myself getting rashes, reactions etc from unwashed clothes! That's my personal experience. You have.. fine! Enjoy your day ladies!

How about you get down off your high horse for a second and stop being so dismissive of why people may prefer to wash baby clothes?

Iv no personal experience of either myself, partner or baby getting rashes from unwashed clothes. But my baby is teething hard these days and every sleeve/bib/muslin cloth she can get her hands on goes straight into her mouth. Forgive me for not wanting her to ingest those chemicals that are used for preserving the freshness of clothes. For that reason alone I prefer washing everything I put on her, same as I wash all her teething rings before she gets her gums into them. At the end of the day it's only an extra wash here and there, and no one is saying you should wash the clothes, just that a lot of us prefer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I washed it all in non- bio too, simply as everywhere you read advice about babies it says to do it. Don't really care if it's bull or not, there's no harm done by doing it and it's very exciting: didnt enjoy being pregnant so washing little clothes makes it real and kept me going!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Why does every thread about babies end up with someone being narky?! As a first time mam to be it makes me nervous to even ask for a bit of advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Why does every thread about babies end up with someone being narky?! As a first time mam to be it makes me nervous to even ask for a bit of advice!!!

Don't be nervous! You'll always get at least two conflicting pieces of advice and it's up to you what you do with it, if anyone is narky that's up to them. I always think the generations before us often smoke, drank, put babies on bellies/sides, didn't give a fiddlers fart about temperatures or soaps and the like... we do the best we can with the current information we have and hopefully our babies will be as happy and healthy as they can be, and that's all you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I wash all our clothes before we wear them as both my husband and my son have had skin reactions to new clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    A friend of mine had a baby and I washed all the clothes I got him in Fairy Non Bio as I had heard one ought to. What a pain in the arse hanging them all up to dry ( that was only about 10 items!!)- there is no way I can keep that up unless I'm washing dirty clothes.
    On a separate note fire retardant is a chemical I wouldn't want near any child's skin, so am gonna have to check what that has been snuck into.

If avoiding fire retardant on clothes please make sure you are at least using natural fabrics for clothing and bed which will not burn with such intensity or melt into the skin in the way synthetic garments do. A bit of exposure to chemicals is preferable to a badly burnt baby, if the unthinkable occurs and you have a fire.

LouD2016 wrote:

Lol, there's always one, best just ignore them ;)
    I'm a mam of 5 (soon to be 6) I would wash the first few lots of clothes, it's like anything new, it may not have an adverse effect on your baby, but it might, their skin is so sensitive for the first few months. A quick wash won't hurt, (and it gives you something to do while waiting for baba to arrive if you go overdue :) ) New clothes can be put in with a baby wash as you go on.

Don't be afraid to ask for advice and there's no such thing as a stupid question either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My two are well grown now. I never washed their clothes before they wore them and there was never any rash in relation to that. I agree with orangetaster it's bull****, and the reason it should be called out as such is that there are so many does and don'ts to stress out young Mums already.

Might have used non bio with the first for a bit, certainly didn't keep that up either, whatever powder was grand. What I did become particular about were wipes, even ones that claimed to be water based were very harsh and caused rashes, find one brand and stick to it.

We're all the same, and there's bound to be a soon to be new Mum reading this who's going to be bit stressed over it. If you're going in soon to greet your new arrival and it simply is too late or too much hassle to go at the laundry now, don't fret, it'll be grand.

Advertisement