Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Appropriate?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

emmetkenny wrote:
    Your entitled to your own opinion but your talking nonsense.

The research is entitled to its opinion too and that kinda trumps my opinion and yours.

Look up internet gaming disorder. It's been included in the Diagnostic Criteria Manual 5th edition (DSM-V) as a topic for further research. Which means it's recognise by the main psychiatric body (APA). I'm sure you knew that already though.

So it's not just my opinion.

In before 'i played games ... 7 years old... Functional member of society..'. Nobody said playing games makes your brain explode. But it's well established that gameplay affects the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,955 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The research is entitled to its opinion too and that kinda trumps my opinion and yours.

Look up internet gaming disorder. It's been included in the Diagnostic Criteria Manual 5th edition (DSM-V) as a topic for further research. Which means it's recognise by the main psychiatric body (APA). I'm sure you knew that already though.

So it's not just my opinion.

In before 'i played games ... 7 years old... Functional member of society..'. Nobody said playing games makes your brain explode. But it's well established that gameplay affects the brain.

Was your original post not relating to all gaming and the reward structures? This article seems to be based off internet gaming, which to me deals with online gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

now online wrote: »
    Just looking online, they're 18s games, I thought they were 16.

Haven't looked at pages after no. one but COD Ghosts is 16s and fairly mild. Gamers don't like this one much for gaming reasons but it would be fine for him.

emmetkenny wrote:
    Was your original post not relating to all gaming and the reward structures? This article seems to be based off internet gaming, which to me deals with online gaming?

So it's not just my opinion now? I'm making progress.

It includes all gaming. Online gaming against other humans adds an extra dimension to it.

Yeah, I don't now how familiar you are with the concepts but basically reward centres are linked with all rewards. This includes when reward mechanisms go wrong such as addiction. Gaming trains the reward centres and so on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 27,955 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So it's not just my opinion now? I'm making progress.

It includes all gaming. Online gaming against other humans adds an extra dimension to it.

Yeah, I don't now how familiar you are with the concepts but basically reward centres are linked with all rewards. This includes when reward mechanisms go wrong such as addiction. Gaming trains the reward centres and so on from there

It was your opinion until you provided the details of the study. No need for the smart Alec response.

I'll have a read up later and report back because I only had a quick scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My little fella (he's 10) had me demented for call of duty - I downloaded call of duty ghosts (can't remember which one, it's a 360 he has) after a bit of research. In terms of what else is out there, I found it a reasonable compromise. I don't allow him to converse over headphones.

emmetkenny wrote:
    It was your opinion until you provided the details of the study. No need for the smart Alec response.

I was only relaying information that's already in the public domain. You hadn't heard about it before and called it BS and wanted me to do your homework for you, and I'm a smart Alec? You're welcome​, of course.
    emmetkenny wrote:
    I'll have a read up later and report back because I only had a quick scan.

Great. Maybe when you've had a chance to read up on it, you might upgrade the information from its BS status?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Brains are being affected by new technology all the time. The brain was affected by cinema, television, now mobile phones, the Internet and I don't doubt gaming affects the brain, in a good way for some, and bad way for others.

Good bad or indifferent, unless we want to live off grid, our lives are surrounded by technology that has potential to help and hinder our development physically and mentally as human beings, and we must make decisions that we think are for the best regardless of whether the American Psychiatric Association decides IGD is a valid diagnosis or not.

That was probably what the OP was after in the first place.

Now I'm off to watch my son, who is currently a pea pod with purple hair, aided by corn on the cob, kill zombies. All very normal in 2017.

Oh and my internet provider doesn't allow online gaming (not because it's a moral guardian, because it's sh*t! and so slow to make online unplayable!) so we don't have that issue.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

emmetkenny wrote:

Oh you're stuck back there. Yeah it's a real phenomenon.

Do some homework if you want to know more. If you don't want to now more, don't do any research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Oh you're stuck back there. Yeah it's a real phenomenon.

Do some homework if you want to know more. If you don't want to now more, don't do any research.

Did you not get enough hugs when you were younger or something? Cause you seem awfully agitated over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I don't believe these games damage a childs development or turn them into murderers, but one things for sure they go absolutely ape**** crazy with excitement when they see me playing them. I have to turn it off.

Btw, every child should be setup with a child account and disable online chat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sigh.

Thread closed. The OP has gotten their original question answered and answered well, along with some supplementary answered as well, so well done everyone that helped out, thanks, there's a fair bit of good info in the thread.

There's also another, almost separate, discussion going on, one that's descended into bickering and sniping. I was willing to let it continue, as it's an interesting topic, and I thought that it deserved discussion, but it's pretty clear now that it's gone off the rails.

I'm open to continuing the discussion in a new thread, but before that happens, people need to cool off a little. As it is, this thread has served it's purpose for the OP.

CIAB

If either side wish to discuss this with me, please PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement