Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Appropriate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

now online wrote:
    He's begging me to get it for him saying it's not that bad it's based on ww2 etc etc. I'm still thinking it's a 16's game for a reason. Honest opinion please is it a mild game does it deserve it's 16's rating? Am I the only person on the planet (as he says! ) that considers age rating before buying a game ?

The language and gore are just a side point. The real damage comes from how computer games effect how a child's reward systems are hooked up in the brain. 8 is very young and the brain is in a stage of major development.

30mins of the most gruesome game would be less harmful than half a day playing a non gruesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

The language and gore are just a side point. The real damage comes from how computer games effect how a child's reward systems are hooked up in the brain. 8 is very young and the brain is in a stage of major development.

30mins of the most gruesome game would be less harmful than half a day playing a non gruesome game.

Can't say I agree with you fully.
    We limit time and content.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,957 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The language and gore are just a side point. The real damage comes from how computer games effect how a child's reward systems are hooked up in the brain. 8 is very young and the brain is in a stage of major development

I'm not sure what your trying to say here?

now online wrote:
    Can't say I agree with you fully. We limit time and content.

Grand so. You seem content get you're up with the psychology of development.

emmetkenny wrote:
    I'm not sure what your trying to say here?

The actual damage done by computer games isn't really anything to do with gore or use of dreaded bad language. The harm comes in how games are designed to reward the brain with trophies, XP, points or whatever. The games actually alter the development of a child's brain and how it processes rewards.

Up to 30mins causes negligible harm. Prolonged gameplay does alter how the child's brain processes rewards

The gore is just easier to get people worked up about but it's not really the reason to worry about children playing computer games.

OP said they're on top of it anyway so it doesn't make any difference

• Advertisement

The actual damage done by computer games isn't really anything to do with gore or use of dreaded bad language. The harm comes in how games are designed to reward the brain with trophies, XP, points or whatever. The games actually alter the development of a child's brain and how it processes rewards.

Up to 30mins causes negligible harm. Prolonged gameplay does alter how the child's brain processes rewards

The gore is just easier to get people worked up about but it's not really the reason to worry about children playing computer games.

Am i the exception to the rule then? I've been gaming since I was 6 and I'm a fully functioning member of society with no problems perceiving rewards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

emmetkenny wrote:
    Am i the exception to the rule then? I've been gaming since I was 6 and I'm a fully functioning member of society with no problems perceiving rewards?

I just rewarded you a thanks. Youve levelled up!! 😛😛

dbagman wrote: »
    I just rewarded you a thanks. Youve levelled up!! 😛😛

I don't need thanks for my contributions :pac:

emmetkenny wrote:

Yeah. But your comprehension ain't great.

How did you link what I said about reward centres the brain, to what you responded? Do you do controlled tests on you the reward centres in your brain or something?

In one hand we have research. In the other hand we have one self report about the individual's own brain. Sound the same to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Any links to some research on this? Not being a smart arse, I am genuinely interested.

• Advertisement

Yeah. But your comprehension ain't great.

How did you link what I said about reward centres the brain, to what you responded? Do you do controlled tests on you the reward centres in your brain or something?

In one hand we have research. In the other hand we have one self report about the individual's own brain. Sound the same to you?

Is there a need for a personal attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Any links to some research on this? Not being a smart arse, I am genuinely interested.

I doubt there will be any links for some reason....

Playing sometimes violent games never did me any harm, mind you I never had online gaming when I was growing up....

When it came to the crunch my 2 boys were on Xbox live since they were about 8, weren't allowed play CoD until they were 10 but played Halo and got great mileage out of it previously...

I think the best thing to do is if you play games yourself, take a look at them, you should then be able to make a decision on what games you think are appropriate for your children

No one on an internet forum can make your mind up for you...

Just see you are going with a no, maybe leave it til he gets to around 10 or so, it won't be as serious to him then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

El Duderino please post reputable link to your claims. I'm gaming over 20 years (including when I was 8) as are many others I know we are all fully functional and understand rewards come from hard work, dedication, commitment. Otherwise I'm calling BS on your claims.

The harm comes in how games are designed to reward the brain with trophies, XP, points or whatever. The games actually alter the development of a child's brain and how it processes rewards.

I'm just responding to this because I can't multi-quote on mobile so add this to my previous post.

In response to your previous post this is the part I picked up on.

How can it be harmful to design a game that rewards particular objectives?

Life is built around an work/reward system. You play sport you win a medal, you contribute to society your rewarded with thanks, you work hard and are rewarded with a salary/maybe a bonus if you go above and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

now online wrote: »
    I'm being a parent by trying to make an informed decision

Being really pedantic here - How informed do you need to be to allow an 8 yo to play an 18s game? Doubt you'd let him do other things that are for 18yo's only?

Age rating exist for a reason. I know all the gamers out there love the whole "Shur it'll be grand, what 8yo doesn't know about point blank headshots, teabagging and shouting racist abuse at the other team. Do em no harm"

As someone who played games from an early age I'd agree it likely won't effect him but I'm sure there are plenty of forums where parents are saying they let them play games and the bad effects it had.

Reati wrote: »
    Being really pedantic here - How informed do you need to be to allow an 8 yo to play an 18s game? Doubt you'd let him do other things that are for 18yo's only?

Age rating exist for a reason. I know all the gamers out there love the whole "Shur it'll be grand, what 8yo doesn't know about point blank headshots, teabagging and shouting racist abuse at the other team. Do em no harm"

As someone who played games from an early age I'd agree it likely won't effect him but I'm sure there are plenty of forums where parents are saying they let them play games and the bad effects it had.

I don't play games myself, I tend to rely on age rating and using common sense, sometimes if ask others for their opinion.
    If you choose to refer to my original post I've already stated that. Thanks for your input

Grand so. You seem content get you're up with the psychology of development.
    Not at any stage did I say I up with the psychology of development. I'm just a mum trying to do my best for my child.
    Whether we like it or not were living in an age of technology I do prefer to have my kids out playing, reading books doing craft etc but I live in the real world and prefer to know what and who they are playing with, in both the real world and the virtual.

I've got the info and advice I need from this thread,thanks to everyone who made a valid contribution.

Happy new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think people are forgetting how graphics have changed over the years

Violent games are a lot more realistic. They have moved on from when many of us were going playing Doom, Wolfenstein, Sin, Mortal Combat, etc

Still was pretty violent or sexual themes games back then, Just a lot more picked and block like Duke Nukes 3D, Carmageddon, Postal, Kingpin, phantasmagoria, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the OP said it all really. They're trying their best to be an informed, responsible parent and looked for some advice on a game for their 8 year old child. They got some opinions and made their choice. Now people are dragging all sorts of garbage into the mix, most of which was never even a factor in the first place.
    I know all the gamers out there love the whole "Shur it'll be grand, what 8yo doesn't know about point blank headshots, teabagging and shouting racist abuse at the other team. Do em no harm"

I've certainly never heard anyone use anything remotely amounting to the above when discussing children under the age of 10 playing 18's rated games here on boards - have you, or did you just make up an anecdote? Age rating's are not black and white, which is why the OP came looking for advice to inform their decision.

Most of our parents allowed us to watch 15/18 rated movies at various stages as we were growing up, but on a case by case basis. All mediums of entertainment which carry recommended age guidelines should be no different, games included.

Even the film censor got on board with this, with movies that were rated 12 and 15 amended to 12A and 15A a good few years back to allow parents the choice of what their children are allowed see.

No-one's arguing that playing Call of Duty, GTA, or any other 18 rated title will harm the child's development but all things being even, most people don't want their kids exposed to profanity, violence, nudity, et al unnecessarily at younger ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I think the OP said it all really. They're trying their best to be an informed, responsible parent and looked for some advice on a game for their 8 year old child. They got some opinions and made their choice. Now people are dragging all sorts of garbage into the mix, most of which was never even a factor in the first place.

I've certainly never heard anyone use anything remotely amounting to the above when discussing children under the age of 10 playing 18's rated games here on boards - have you, or did you just make up an anecdote? Age rating's are not black and white, which is why the OP came looking for advice to inform their decision.

Most of our parents allowed us to watch 15/18 rated movies at various stages as we were growing up, but on a case by case basis. All mediums of entertainment which carry recommended age guidelines should be no different, games included.

Even the film censor got on board with this, with movies that were rated 12 and 15 amended to 12A and 15A a good few years back to allow parents the choice of what their children are allowed see.

No-one's arguing that playing Call of Duty, GTA, or any other 18 rated title will harm the child's development but all things being even, most people don't want their kids exposed to profanity, violence, nudity, et al unnecessarily at younger ages.

I'll be quick -

1. Didn't say boards but yes, I've heard many gamers make similar comments. There is a few posts in here along the same lines of "shur 18s games did me no harm when I was 7. I'm a functioning member of society". It's the prevailing attitude with gamers I'm willing to bet.

2. Plenty of people are arguing both sides (again not just on boards - imagine there is whole internet out there!). I don't fall on either side strongly for that matter.

3. As I said, I was being really pedantic about it the "informed decision" line. The game is 18s for a reason that should be enough to not give it to a 8 year old. I couldn't care less if the OP lets her kid see age inappropriate content or not. I don't have to deal with any consequences (if any were to arise) from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I haven't read all replies so sorry if this has already been mentioned- there is a website called Common Sense Media (dot org) and they review games and movies to inform parents of suitability. They don't go just by rating on the box and they give a breakdown of content - e.g. Amount of bad language, adult themes etc
    I use it a lot for my boys who tell me "all" their friends are playing a certain game!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

One of the few things we were really strict about when ours were younger was age appropriate games. There are loads out there - the Lego ones, Skylanders etc - the level of puzzles etc in them is pitched just right. They can all played as 2 player which means parents can join in and keep an eye on things.
    The games pitched at older ones are very graphic, blood, guts and gore. We had some moaning and the usual complaints about everyone else's parents letting them play. I let other parents know what our thoughts were and they had no problem making sure the kids didn't play those games in their houses.
    Once they got older and drinking appeared on agenda, we already had a precedent set and our lives were much easier.
    I think there is so much coming at them from all directions, we need to protect them until they are ready to handle it.
    Now, they are 18 and 22 respectively and are more than capable of making informed decisions about games, and my gaming skills are legendary:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's hard for parents who don't have any interest in gaming to know what the right thing to do is.

I always suggest that the easy and safest way to deal with it is just to stick to the age rating on the box. I then suggest that not all children are the same maturity. I've seen ten year olds that are more mature than teenagers, and the only people who can make that call are the parents.

The final thing I suggest is to sit down with your kids as they play, and to take an interest in what they're doing. No need to play, just sit and watch them play, ask them questions about it, find out if they're playing online and stuff like that. I'm a bit away from reaching that stage with my kids, but I think having an interest in your kids hobbies is always good for them, even if it's deathly boring for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If parents don't want to play the games first that their kids want to play (Personally, I think that this is the best way to vet them) - then the next best option is to do a youtube search for gameplay (multiplayer and offline).

I think it's important that you check out a game properly before you rule it in or out. And that your kids see you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Would also like to see evidence of this. Isn't the whole reward system how life works? You do your chores and you get a few quid pocket money. Later in life you work hard and get a reward (pay rise, promotions, etc). Gaming simply reflects this.

FWIW, i have two 9 year olds. The only game for over 12s I let them play is Star Wars Battlefront when it came to the EA Access Vault recently. Played it myself first and it seems harmless. They played GTA once with no sound but that wont be happening again. Xbox in a pub abroad which they were playing FIFA on and it got switched to GTA by someone. Took me a few mins to spot it but they were removed from the console immediately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

now online wrote: »
    Decision made, it's a no. We'll stay age appropriate for a few years yet. He's decided to get plant vs zombies instead. Thanks for all the info and advice!

You are a great parent. I'd also recommend Overwatch. No gore or adult themes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I was relatively lucky in this area, as my son grew up with Nintendo until his 12th birthday. Unlike XBox and Playstation, the Nintendo platforms have had an amazing array of games for kids. I'm saying lucky because Nintendo is having a really bad time, and kids end up on the wrong platform for the very young age. Not saying there's no content for youngsters, but nothing comes even close to the Mario games.

bmwguy wrote:
    El Duderino please post reputable link to your claims. I'm gaming over 20 years (including when I was 8) as are many others I know we are all fully functional and understand rewards come from hard work, dedication, commitment. Otherwise I'm calling BS on your claims.

Look it up yourself in your favourite neuropsychology journal.
    emmetkenny wrote:
    How can it be harmful to design a game that rewards particular objectives?

Fair question. Heroine also rewards the users brain and I'm sure nobody here wants to know the neuropsychology of that. Prolonged gameplay trains the brain's reward centres in an artificial way.
    emmetkenny wrote:
    Life is built around an work/reward system. You play sport you win a medal, you contribute to society your rewarded with thanks, you work hard and are rewarded with a salary/maybe a bonus if you go above and beyond.

Those are real life work/rewards. Gameplay is completely artificial. Unless you plan to use gameplay in some real life way then it's not gig to be useful.

Nobody said gameplay means you can't become a functional member of society. Gameplay does alter the way the brain works. The more development occuring in the brain (younger person and prolonged gameplay), the deeper the effect.

I'm not saying anything new. This is all out there.

Either way the OP said they control duration of gameplay so they're not asking about that issue.

I do find it amusing that people get so easily exorcised about swearing when it's only a footnote in the discussion about the damage caused by gameplay.

Look it up yourself in your favourite neuropsychology journal.

Fair question. Heroine also rewards the users brain and I'm sure nobody here wants to know the neuropsychology of that. Prolonged gameplay trains the brain's reward centres in an artificial way.

Those are real life work/rewards. Gameplay is completely artificial. Unless you plan to use gameplay in some real life way then it's not gig to be useful.

Nobody said gameplay means you can't become a functional member of society. Gameplay does alter the way the brain works. The more development occuring in the brain (younger person and prolonged gameplay), the deeper the effect.

I'm not saying anything new. This is all out there.

Either way the OP said they control duration of gameplay so they're not asking about that issue.

I do find it amusing that people get so easily exorcised about swearing when it's only a footnote in the discussion about the damage caused by gameplay.

Your entitled to your own opinion but your talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,210 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JoyPad wrote: »
    I was relatively lucky in this area, as my son grew up with Nintendo until his 12th birthday. Unlike XBox and Playstation, the Nintendo platforms have had an amazing array of games for kids. I'm saying lucky because Nintendo is having a really bad time, and kids end up on the wrong platform for the very young age. Not saying there's no content for youngsters, but nothing comes even close to the Mario games.

I remember my megadrive owning friends taking the piss out of my snes because mortal kombat 1 had the blood removed from it on the snes version :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement