Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attracted to a younger girl.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Tbf I think most girls would be creeped out at that age if asked out by a guy in his late 30s, unless of course they had a genuine rapport built up and there was some kind of buzz between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Most may be, but certainly not all. E.g., my own girlfriend thinks that most guys her age are hopelessly immature and irresponsible, and that the dating scene for young women today is soul-destroying. I'm sure she's not alone in that opinion. There's also a logical fallacy in "when I was a 19 year old girl I would have felt seriously creeped out if a 39 year old neighbour asked me on a date." You might have felt that way, but you can't presume to know how someone else will react.[/quote]

The OP has not said he wants to ask her out on a date or know more about her, he just wants to bang her!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

She's too young for anything long term

General rule - Divide your age by 2 and add 7. If she's younger than that, she's too young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

My uncle & wife are happily married....34 year age difference.

A friend married when she was 48.....he was 78...10 happy years til he got dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have you ever spoken to this person? How do you know she's 19? Are her parents your neighbours too?

Tbh, I highly doubt you've crossed her mind. Most people that age are interested in people their own age - people they're in college with, go on nights out with, etc. For all you know, she might already have a lad on the go.

In any case, despite some exceptions, I do think most 19 year old girls would be creeped out by the advances of a man pushing 40. Just because something is technically "legal" doesn't mean that it's ethically right. She might be 19 (or is she?), but emotionally could be a lot younger. You don't seem to know her at all, so who's to say what her maturity level is?

Anyway. I'm not even sure what your question is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Some thoughts OP.

Of course you are attracted to a stunner. She is young, attractive and lively. But someone else said it already. The fact she is your neighbour makes it a no. Whatever about a young woman being attracted to a much older man, i think she would feel an older neighbour looking at her in that way would be creepy.

And the people who are talking about someone 48 marrying someone in their 70's different thing. Two mature people who have lots of life experience would be totally different. Some young one who has just left school will have different priorities and outlook to you.

All in all i would think no. Some other 19 year old maybe. A neighbour, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Good for you. You don't need to justify your relationship to me. My point wasn't about relationships like yours. You know your girlfriend so you know what she's like and that she's happy and prepared to be in a relationship with someone much older. That doesn't mean that every 19/20 year old is prepared to be in that kind of relationship and I think it's fair to advise someone to tread carefully in such situations, especially if you don't even know the person, as the OP doesn't seem to in this case. Is it always ethically wrong to pursue a sexual relationship with someone much younger? No, of course not. But it isn't always ethically right either, regardless of whether it's legal, and I would imagine that the number of 19 years olds (many of them fresh out of school, possibly still living at home or living away from their parents for the very first time) who are emotionally mature enough to enter a relationship with someone much older is far less than those who aren't. In any case, does he even know that she's actually 19?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

More of a generalisation tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

She's a teenager- back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

SATSUMA wrote: »
    She's a teenager- back off.
    And your neighbour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

GingerLily wrote: »
    And your neighbour!!!

Imagine having a daughter of 19 and comes in the door with her new boyfriend of 30 something emm I don't think it would boud well with a lot of us!
    I personally would show him the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

When I was that age I had a female friend who was dating a 25 year old and we thought he was completely ancient! Finished college and all!

Yeah there'll be a few exceptions to the rule but by and large most 19 year olds are discovering guys and dating and relationships for the first time, just out of school and fresh on the road to independence and meeting all kinds of guys who are interested in them and are certainly not shy of male attention. 39 is like your Dad's age when you're that age, not someone you'd be looking at or considering sexually at all.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Time to close this, methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement