Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Xbox... honest feedback

Options
  • 29-12-2016 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I'm a long time PS4 player buy no Sony fan boy... I'm very much open to enjoying a great video game regardless of platform. I got a new XBOX One S for Christmas to start enjoying some game titles only available on Xbox... Forza for example.

It's a great example of Microsoft being well ahead of the competition when it comes to racing games.

That said, the user interface for the Xbox is one of the worse experiences of the dozen or so consoles I've owned over the years. The Sony interface is so simple and easy to navigate, The Xbox UI is a huge dissapoitment to me as a player.

Any honest thoughts on the Microsoft interface as a user...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Have you been using the bumpers and triggers to navigate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

it works fine for me can be slow to load items in the store sometimes
    otherwise its nice and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sticker wrote: »
    Hi All.

I'm a long time PS4 player buy no Sony fan boy... I'm very much open to enjoying a great video game regardless of platform. I got a new XBOX One S for Christmas to start enjoying some game titles only available on Xbox... Forza for example.

It's a great example of Microsoft being well ahead of the competition when it comes to racing games.

That said, the user interface for the Xbox is one of the worse experiences of the dozen or so consoles I've owned over the years. The Sony interface is so simple and easy to navigate, The Xbox UI is a huge dissapoitment to me as a player.

Any honest thoughts on the Microsoft interface as a user...

It's fine for me. I much prefer it compared to my PS UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Have you been using the bumpers and triggers to navigate?

Yes. Looking at them both objectively I see the xbox side as hugely over busy. Just my 2 cents...

Looking forward to my new games all the same.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yes. Looking at them both objectively I see the xbox side as hugely over busy. Just my 2 cents...

Looking forward to my new games all the same.

Thanks all

I would like to add. That I have not had a consol in over 21 years. Just before xmas we got one for the kids and I have been using it a lot :)

For interface I can't compare to any other consol but I found the Xbox one s easy to use. The only thing I can compare the Xbox to would be Pc's which I have been using and building for over 25 years.

Have over 52 games installed on the Xbox, but for anyone starting out I would strongly consider signing up to Xbox live and ea access.

Happy gaming sticker!

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I would like to add. That I have not had a consol in over 21 years. Just before xmas we got one for the kids and I have been using it a lot :)

For interface I can't compare to any other consol but I found the Xbox one s easy to use. The only thing I can compare the Xbox to would be Pc's which I have been using and building for over 25 years.

Have over 52 games installed on the Xbox, but for anyone starting out I would strongly consider signing up to Xbox live and ea access.

Happy gaming sticker!

Thanks for the reply... I suppose I was coming from what I consider a genius interface in the PS model, without abundance of boxes and links and confusion. Anyway, changes of opinion are always welcome and each to their own I suppose.

Good gaming to you also, the interface is not the full console, the games are what make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, I find the Xbox 1 UI horrible, I think PS4 is much cleaner and better laid out, though I've always been an Xbox gamer as I prefer the MS exclusives like Halo. I liked the 360 one, just the XB1 grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm not keen on it either but I'm sure me and the kids will get used to it. More used to the Wii U and everything new takes getting used to.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Thanks for the reply... I suppose I was coming from what I consider a genius interface in the PS model, without abundance of boxes and links and confusion. Anyway, changes of opinion are always welcome and each to their own I suppose.

Good gaming to you also, the interface is not the full console, the games are what make it!

funny i find the ps interface very messy and difficult to find things
    probably because i'm so used to the xbox interface ive always had it so it like second nature for me to use while when i use the ps interface i find it completely confusing.

I'm sure that you will adjust to it fairly simple enough it is after all basically tablet mode on windows 10

The store on xbox is a travesty. It's like they don't want you to know there are sales on or to be able to discover anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The store on xbox is a travesty. It's like they don't want you to know there are sales on or to be able to discover anything at all.

It can be the same on PSN too i find.

It can be the same on PSN too i find.

Honestly that's not true... the psn has a dedicated area for sales and for network subscribers. It can't be missed. Sales are also heavy advertised front and centre.

I joined xbox gold but for the life of me can't see the free games for the month... where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Looking back, I do remember hating the UI initially too. You just get used to it. The voice commands helped a great deal.

theteal wrote: »
    Looking back, I do remember hating the UI initially too. You just get used to it. The voice commands helped a great deal.

I think it's a real shame that we need to acclimatise to a UI though.. as someone who grew up with devices and consoles, I really feel it's the ugliest and non user friendly interface I've ever used...

On a side note, I found where the Xbox Live free games where located and where Outlast and sleeping dogs I can download, Burnout Paradise for the 360 is also listed there but only gives me a price to buy - and this would be the one game I would like to revisit. Any idea why I can't get Burnout Paradise for free in this list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Honestly that's not true... the psn has a dedicated area for sales and for network subscribers. It can't be missed. Sales are also heavy advertised front and centre.

I joined xbox gold but for the life of me can't see the free games for the month... where are they?

They appear on the home screen, as soon as the console powers up they appear on the bottom right of your TV screen.

I think the 360 games need to be "purchased" from xbox.com or on a 360.

I tend to just get them all from the site by habit at this stage - usually from the office, when I see the games with gold thread updated, games are on the machine when I get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Considering MS are an OS maker the Xbox ui is a huge huge disappointment. I find it incredibly frustrating. Waiting for things to load, not easy to find stuff. Voice navigation used to be quite good but now they've gone and screwed that up with Cortana. I use the Xbox app for everything I can. Console is only for things I can't do on the app. That speaks volumes.

qrx wrote: »
    Considering MS are an OS maker the Xbox ui is a huge huge disappointment. I find it incredibly frustrating. Waiting for things to load, not easy to find stuff. Voice navigation used to be quite good but now they've gone and screwed that up with Cortana. I use the Xbox app for everything I can. Console is only for things I can't do on the app. That speaks volumes.

Cortana got used for all of 17 minutes before I disabled it back to "xbox"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theteal wrote: »
    I think the 360 games need to be "purchased" from xbox.com or on a 360.

I tend to just get them all from the site by habit at this stage - usually from the office, when I see the games with gold thread updated, games are on the machine when I get home

Not since a few months after backwards compatibility launched. You see a 360 game in the Store on the Xbox One UI, it prompts you to click to see the price and you can buy it straight from the console.

Admittedly, at launch of back compat it was the way you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The only PS I've owned was a PS3. It's been xboxs all the way.

So my experience of the PS is limited to the PS3.

But the X1 UI is annoying. The 360 UI got progressively worse and the X1 continued with that. At least the terrible performance issues with the X1 OS have been sorted (ridiculous load times for parties etc) but it's hard to find stuff/browse unless you know what you're looking for. The search function doesn't work very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The most recent thing that comes to mind for me was the latest episode of Batman The Telltale Series. The only way to find it was to search for it. It should have been shown on the DLC New Releases at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I use the app for both stores on my phone. I just find it more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I like the UI on the xbox but I use the voice commands for pretty much everything, haven't bothered using cortana and just use the xbox go to commands. Pins are great for anything you use often too, saves looking for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I am the total opposite to most, i cannot stand the PS4 UI, it looks so amateurish compared to Xbox OS, imho. That said, i can see how coming from PS4 to Xbox can be a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I have to agree OP, I think the One's UI is an overly complicated mess; I use Kinect to navigate to most things ("Xbox go to settings" etc) but it must be a pain in the balls to try finding things with just a controller.

Someone mentioned not being able to see the deals on the home screen; I found this happened when my kid was logged in (thus invoking parental controls, done automatically via the Kinect camera); when I sign him out the tile returns - "Xbox sign out...choose this person..."etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm still 50/50 on the UI for both, the PS3 had a simple clean UI (Granted it had its problems) that didnt really transfer over to the PS4.

In terms of finding things the PS UI is hands down the easiest to navigate especially the store. The only real issue I have is the download speeds for games etc is a disaster.

XB1 UI, I hadnt used an xbox since the early days of the 360 really so when I turned this on it was a cluterf**k but after getting a bit more used to it its not too bad (Someone mentioned bumper buttons for navigation which is new to me so thank you). The store tho could really do with an overhaul as its so dam hard to just browse through it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't mind it for the most part, but Id agree that the store is a disaster.

a prime example would be my recent purchase of Hitman: the complete first season.

bought the game, downloaded it away, then fired it up, and played through the tutorial, went to play the first story mission proper and I notice that all the chapters say 'purchase access' on them, so I click 'see in store' and it shows me a list of episodes 2 through to 6, which I start downloading, but no sign anywhere of episode 1 on its own (always showed up as part of a different bundle). I had to back all the way out to the store and manually search a very particular string of keywords to get it to show up. mad stuff.

I was also moving games to my SSD when I came across a load of free DLC content for Halo 5 (mostly req packs) all in my 'ready to install' list.

its just a bit overly convoluted at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Yeah my problem with the store is the search function, you have to be very specific to find what you are looking for.

As for the rest I've pinned the important things to the front page so I don't actually have to dig around in the UI all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I like to change the view type to lowest price games at the top, cant do that in the Microsoft store, would be handy to find something I can spend my last few credits on without having to topup the account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I've never actually played an Xbox One. Doesn't it have ads on the UI? I know it does in the states and the PS4 doesn't. Ads can definitely clutter the screen up with ****.

Advertisement