Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey (Women's Bantamweight Title)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

mdwexford wrote: »
    Ronda was still beating the best fighters in the world though, you can only beat what's put in front of you. Same as Mighty Mouse.

We aren't comparing divisions here, we are saying that Ronda was fighting the best females in the world and crushing them.

Yeah, but that's as impressive as Celtic crushing Motherwell, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's as impressive as Celtic crushing Motherwell, to me.

Well, that is ridiculous in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Ok, all divisions contain equal talent then? Because that's what you're saying.

Nope, what I'm saying is that I think your Scottish soccer analogy is beyond ridiculous.

Well, that is ridiculous in my opinion.

Why? The moment she ran into world class opposition she was completely destroyed. Twice. It makes me question the quality of at least some of her opponents and the division.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Nope, what I'm saying is that I think your Scottish soccer analogy is beyond ridiculous.

Ok, so you agree that divisions have unequal levels of talent?

• Advertisement

Ok, so you agree that divisions have unequal levels of talent?

Do you agree that this egg is better than this egg shaped rock??

Why? The moment she ran into world class opposition she was completely destroyed. Twice. It makes me question the quality of at least some of her opponents and the division.

Meisha Tate wasn't world class opposition?

The same Meisha Tate who beat Holly Holm for the title.

Alexis Davis and Cat Zingano are rubbish yet they both beat the world class Amanda Nunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ok... What I'm saying is that some divisions are better than others. The men's lightweight division is arguably the strongest in the UFC, so that's the Spanish League. The women's bantamweight could be one of the weaker ones, so that's the Scottish league.

So Rousey beating 6,7,8,9 ranked fighters may not be as amazing as you claim.

Is that clearer?

I struggle to imagine being psyched for the likes of Leganes and Eibar myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ok... What I'm saying is that some divisions are better than others. The men's lightweight division is arguably the strongest in the UFC, so that's the Spanish League. The women's bantamweight could be one of the weaker ones, so that's the Scottish league.

So Rousey beating 6,7,8,9 ranked fighters may not be as amazing as you claim.

Is that clearer?

UFC is the top promotion in the world, if you have cleared house in your division there is nothing more you can do, you are the best. If someone else comes along and does the same and beats you they are the best.

Could'nt you say the same about any division champion? Like maybe Mcgregor isn't that good and the FW division is just bad.

I think what it would be fair to say is her fights before Holmes were all good style matches for her. She was always an appalling bad striker so it was only a matter of time before that part of her game got exposed.
    I don't know was it arrogance, **** coaching or both that she thought she could stand up in their again.

She is done anyway IMO doesn't have the heart or humility to learn from her mistakes which is stark contrast to someone like Mcgregor who brought on his take down defence leaps and bounds after the Diaz defeat.

Do you agree that this egg is better than this egg shaped rock??

Ah, the MMA forum...

• Advertisement

Meisha Tate wasn't world class opposition?

The same Meisha Tate who beat Holly Holm for the title.

Alexis Davis and Cat Zingano are rubbish yet they both beat the world class Amanda Nunes?

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe those styles of fighters suited her perfectly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ah, the MMA forum...

Says the man who brought up the Scottish football drivel :D

Ah, the MMA forum...

Yup, where guys try to compare the elite women's 135 lb division in the world with Scottish soccerball. Crazy innit.

Says the man who brought up the Scottish football drivel :D

I rest my case.

Yup, where guys try to compare the elite women's 135 lb division in the world with Scottish soccerball. Crazy innit.

I shouldn't have tried confusing concepts such as metaphors.

I'll stick to using intellectual terms like "merked" and "starched" in future.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Whether the talent pool in the division is deep. She cleared out everyone like most do until someone comes along and beats them. Rousey done it cruz done it. Dj is still doing it. Styles match ups favoured her strengths up to the last two where she was out struck and her weakness was exposed

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe those styles of fighters suited her perfectly then.

Don't get me wrong Ronda was and is a one dimensional fighter. But I think it's unfair to say she beat nobodies. She beat the top women around at that time.

She's still a top 3-4 fighter in the division and wouldn't be a big underdog betting wise vs anyone.

Lesson learned.

You're Scottish football thing was more of an analogy really. You're the one that's confused actually if you think that was a metaphor.

Lesson learned.
    You're Scottish football thing was more of an analogy really. You're the one that's confused actually if you think that was a metaphor.

Oh the irony. :pac:

It was a metaphor. The word has two uses. Jesus, you have Google at your disposal.

Thanks for the laugh though!

• Advertisement

Oh the irony. :pac:

There's no excuse for not using Google. Look it up.

It was a metaphor. The word has two uses. Jesus, you have Google at your disposal.

Thanks for the laugh though!

Two quite different things. Don't need to use google to know the difference mate.

There's no excuse for not using Google. Look it up.

What you used was an analogy, not a metaphor.

What you used was an analogy, not a metaphor.

If he keeps up the metaphor/analogy argument it will be embarrassing as hell for him!

Saipanne, for a bonus point can you pick out the metaphor in the sentence above?? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Anyways lads back on topic,

Rondas UFC career her 6 fights before the Holm loss she fought 6 people who had no back round in striking, Holly we all know as a multiple time world champion boxer and Nunes had been doing Karate and started boxing aged 16 I dont think any of the girls she beat were doing anything like it from a young age, hindsight is a wonderful thing we all expected her Judo to beat boxing but its clear as day now it doesnt, in the right frame of mind she'd still beat them 6 girls she beat before Holly.

If he keeps up the metaphor/analogy argument it will be embarrassing as hell for him!

Saipanne, for a bonus point can you pick out the metaphor in the sentence above?? :)

Ok, that made me giggle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did Ronda not do any interview after she lost. I'm trying to find one on youtube but cannot find one, I did find a fake interview where they had a actor as her and they were ripping the **** out of her.

Bad form that she refuses to do a interview. Even McGreger done one after he lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Did Ronda not do any interview after she lost. I'm trying to find one on youtube but cannot find one, I did find a fake interview where they had a actor as her and they were ripping the **** out of her.

Bad form that she refuses to do a interview. Even McGreger done one after he lost.

There is no losing interviews if you're tko'd anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

There's no doubting that the last 2 losses blow a huge hole in Ronda's fighting ability legacy. But there's also no doubting her dominance before then. It's clear as day though the strength in depth simply wasn't there. 2 more wins and I'd say Nunes has the better cv

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

tinpib wrote: »
    I think/hope Amanda will go on to be a star and make a lot of money. Some people here say she isn't box office but I think she can be.

People want to see opponents getting knocked de fudge out, it draws in casual viewers. That's twice in a row now that Amanda has swarmed her opponent and given them a good beating.

If UFC get behind her and promote her as some type of women's knock out machine/Mike Tyson and as the woman that [maybe] retired Ronda the casual viewer will buy PPVs.

Also she can do interviews in English which helps her, although it will be tough to have a great way with words.

She is a contrast to Katie Taylor. I saw Katie Taylor's last fight, a dour enough points victory. Sponsors/casual viewers aren't going to tuning in for that type of performance despite Sky Sports/PPV doing their usual hype.

I don't know how the American public will respond to Amanda as the new face of Womens MMA. The pessimist in me thinks they will not embrace her in anywhere near the same way. Maybe for many reasons, Her nationality, her appearance, her accent and sadly even her sexual orientation.

Amanda deserves her respect. She's the Champion, destroyed the two biggest names in woman MMA in her last two fights. She is a seriously impressive fighter, I hope people support her

As for Taylor, womans boxing is a long way behind MMA, I think Taylor will be successful, a world champion in the ring, But she doesn't really have a the personalty so really self promote like say a Rousey or McGregor.

Advertisement