Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey (Women's Bantamweight Title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

This is another reason to be delighted with the result. Slap it up you.

Can we just take a minute to appreciate your username in regards to the comment you quoted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Can we just take a minute to appreciate your username in regards to the comment you quoted!

*triggered*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Great fight from Nunes last night
    But posting this on her twitter was not necessary

siobhan08 wrote: »

you gotta understand her being a bit pissed, written off from a lot of angles and in no way did she get the respect she deserved as champ, also you can be sure ronda being afraid of being asked a few tough question directly affected her ppv cut on the night.

absolutely delighted for her, shes earned it!

Depp wrote: »
    you gotta understand her being a bit pissed, written off from a lot of angles and in no way did she get the respect she deserved as champ, also you can be sure ronda being afraid of being asked a few tough question directly affected her ppv cut on the night.

absolutely delighted for her, shes earned it!

She wouldn't even be competing in the main event and in the position of getting any ppv cut without the path Rousey paved in MMA for women.

She could have stayed classy in victory and instead she posted this !! Lot people saying the same to her in the comments on her twitter.

She was great and deserved the win, but she didn't need to be like all those other internet trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Necessary? No. Entitled to in the circumstances? Yes. Entertaining? Charismatic? Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Did you listen to her in the octagon? Or in the press conference? She was very classy and gave Ronda her dues on several occasions.

Ronda though, now there's a complete lack of class.

She lost. Badly. Get over it and stop trying to tar a magnificent victory by Nunes.

She wouldn't even be competing in the main event and in the position of getting any ppv cut without the path Rousey paved in MMA for women.

royce gracie paved the same way for men, does that mean everyone has to go out and lick his arse on twitter after they win?

fair play to ronda shes had a great career put she made her own bed she can lie in it now

Necessary? No. Entitled to in the circumstances? Yes. Entertaining? Charismatic? Absolutely.

There a such thing as being classy in victory.
    She's needs not get too cocky. That was part of the problem with Rousey. She got too cocky with her easy victories

• Advertisement

There a such thing as being classy in victory.
    She's needs not get too cocky. That was part of the problem with Rousey. She got too cocky with her easy victories

such a thing as being classy in a loss aswel, and by all accounts amanda was a picture of class last night

Depp wrote: »
    such a thing as being classy in a loss aswel, and by all accounts amanda was a picture of class last night

and she could have stayed that way but instead she chose to post this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I just can't get over how poor Rousey was. This was apparently the 'big star' in MMA and to get shown up to look that amateur was something else.

Who was she sparring? Has she been hit since the Holm fight? Her stand up was bad, real bad. She looked in shock when she got cracked, like a deer in headlights. Same thing happened to Alvarez but he knows the basics and had some composure. But not from Ronda. She had no movement, no weaving or just plain resetting. She just stood there. She threw a front kick when she started to get backed up to the fence, that front kick just said it all.

As poor as a performance I've seen from an apparent big name, in any sport. Got completely found out. With better coaching (the last year especially) she could have at least made it a contest, because she has some skills if she can get in close.

But no, she just stormed into The Octogan with 'i'll murder ya' face and thought she just had to show up - her ego and coaching has ruined her.

Well done Nunes, just went for it. Looked like she knew this was on the cards just before Herb started it - she'll never beat a bigger draw easier than that. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

She could have stayed classy in victory and instead she posted this !! Lot people saying the same to her in the comments on her twitter.

I seem to be missing something here. Was there something in the audio perhaps that was insulting to Rousey? What exactly was it about that video lacked class? She was celebrating with her team mates after realising a dream of hers.

Whats the issue? Are people really offended by this video? 'kin hell!

John_D80 wrote: »
    I seem to be missing something here. Was there something in the audio perhaps that was insulting to Rousey? What exactly was it about that video lacked class? She was celebrating with her team mates after realising a dream of hers.

Nunes posted this on her twitter. Which is what I was saying was pretty unnecessary

nah its not the video she put out a mean tweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I would say nunes is directing things at UFC rather than ronda personally.

Cant blame her. Ignored in the buildup absent from promos. Slaps the "baddest b*tch" around with ease. She was classy in cage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

So what if she holed herself away. Whats the issue with that? Why is she obliged to comment on anything she does? She doesn't owe anyone a soundbite.

She may have blamed her media obligations for the loss but I have never seen anything where she directly blamed ''the media'' for the loss. Those obligations were placed on her by the UFC, not the media itself.

Both McGregor and Rousey knew and know only too well and better than anyone, the detrimental effect constant promotion can have on a fighters training. She was 100% right to back out of the media for this one. At the very least now she knows she cant blame media obligations for this loss

Of course there was a double standard. I'm one of McGregors biggest fans and agreed at the time and still do that he had done enough for the company that he should have been allowed to concentrate on his training camp for Diaz 2, just as Rousey should have been and was.

Obviously the minutia are different but its basically the same situation and round here for the last couple weeks there was nearly a witch hunt over it.

It's part of being a professional sportsperson, doing interviews, open workouts for the fans, that's the lifestyle.

You are going on about her courage and guts when in fact she showed none.
    No class in defeat, blamed others for turning on her when it's their job to dissect fights.

The only thing I've a major problem with is not doing the fight week pre fight presser and open workouts stuff. She should never have been allowed skip it and it now sets a precedent for others to do the same.

Again with Conor, I accept they wanted to train in peace and not do as much pre fight hype. For what they have done for the company it was fair enough imo. Conor never tried to avoid the fight week stuff though.

Also going on Ellen and daytime talk shows but blanking the Mma media made a lot of people turn on her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Also worth noting Conor did say he would fly to east coast to do a press conference or send a crew out to him,

Would gain a lot of respect for Ronda if she took this loss on this chin now, what ever respect I have left for her will be gone if she runs away like last time, 6-2 record in the UFC I was ridiculed for saying her legacy was in tatters last time she lost it goes without saying any talk of being one of the greats is well and truly over.

mdwexford wrote: »
    It's part of being a professional sportsperson, doing interviews, open workouts for the fans, that's the lifestyle.

You are going on about her courage and guts when in fact she showed none.
    No class in defeat, blamed others for turning on her when it's their job to dissect fights.

The only thing I've a major problem with is not doing the fight week pre fight presser and open workouts stuff. She should never have been allowed skip it and it now sets a precedent for others to do the same.

Again with Conor, I accept they wanted to train in peace and not do as much pre fight hype. For what they have done for the company it was fair enough imo. Conor never tried to avoid the fight week stuff though.

Also going on Ellen and daytime talk shows but blanking the Mma media made a lot of people turn on her.

It took a lot for her to even attempt to bounce back after being humiliated the way she was. Most genuine fans saw it as what it was, a defeat. But for her it was a humiliation. I for one commend her for standing up to whatever demons she had that prompted her to make suicidal comments and get back in there when so many wouldn't have. If thats not courage I dont know what is.

Yeah Conor did the fight week stuff, but what of it? Thats about 5% of the promotional obligations that main event fighters have for a marquee event like Mcgregor/Diaz 2 or Rousey/Nunes. It was hardly a case of Conor bowing to public demand really now was it. He and Ronda both, justifiably were spared the inconvenience of having their media obligations encroach on their training camp.

And its not like Ronda did nothing at all in the build up. She still took time out to record her portion of the promotional video that was playing throughout the event last night.

She was an ass to completely blank the MMA media in the short to medium term after the Holm fight of course. If she was smart she could have offset a lot of the negativity towards her. But I totally understand her decision to stay out of the spotlight in the build up to the fight. It was how she felt she could best prepare.

• Advertisement

Either way one things for sure, even if she comes back which i doubt she'll not make 3 million, she made her money as the destroyer, she got the payday cos she's back, she badass again....nobody will pay for someone utterly destroyed in two fights in a row with no offence

Gamebred wrote: »
    Also worth noting Conor did say he would fly to east coast to do a press conference or send a crew out to him,

Would gain a lot of respect for Ronda if she took this loss on this chin now, what ever respect I have left for her will be gone if she runs away like last time, 6-2 record in the UFC I was ridiculed for saying her legacy was in tatters last time she lost it goes without saying any talk of being one of the greats is well and truly over.

Thats ridiculous i fairness. If she walks now she will go as the first and to date most dominant female champion in the UFC. Plenty legendary fighters stay too long after they should retire or suffer a steep decline in form in their final years and still walk away with their legacy intact. BJ Penn? Chuck Lidell?

And its not just MMA or combat sports either. If Tiger Woods shanks every ball he hits for the next 4 or 5 years and then retires he will still be remember as one of the best of his era and all time even.

Just like Ronda Rousey, like her or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Thats ridiculous i fairness. If she walks now she will go as the first and to date most dominant female champion in the UFC. Plenty legendary fighters stay too long after they should retire or suffer a steep decline in form in their final years and still walk away with their legacy intact. BJ Penn? Chuck Lidell?

And its not just MMA or combat sports either. If Tiger Woods shanks every ball he hits for the next 4 or 5 years and then retires he will still be remember as one of the best of his era and all time even.

Yeah the difference between them legends or Tiger they dont go into hiding reappear refuse to talk to the media who helped create them and then get exposed even more so, she has her place as a pioneer or the womens division thats it nothing else no legend no great fighter not even close to being rounded an insult to anyone like chuck or bj to compare their legacies to her.

tiger woods was a bad example to use tbh, while he is/was a fantastic golfer his legacy is severely tarnished by his behavior off the course, much like rouseys is by her behavior out of the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

6 & 2 doesnt read as that impressive and to be honest i would have guessed about 10 & 2 ( ufc only) but she did usher in the womens mma to mainstream which is what she will be remembered for.

In saying that it is a steep fall from grace and shows how poor of an mma fighter she is when she is easily beaten the last twice.

Subcommandte was correct in his royce gracie comparison.

Everyone else is improving and she is standing still. I cant see why anyone would ever join her gym and be coached by that clown. The only thing ill miss is his "advice" during fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Nunes posted this on her twitter. Which is what I was saying was pretty unnecessary

Rousey never showed any class in her career, why should she expect it in return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Ronda cant go any lower shes been to rock bottom twice now, I'd love to see her leave Edmund go to a proper coach Firas or something and comeback once to go out on a win, nothing to lose at this rate.

That would certainly be the most positive attitude for her to take out of this. If she does come back, all that pressure will now be off her shoulders, so that would certainly be an incentive. And the incentive to "prove the b*stards wrong". But she does seem like somebody who likes to wallow.

I think this is what I respect most about Conor McGregor. He could have just buried his head in the sand (like Rousey) after the loss to Nate Diaz, when all the haters were putting up smart a$$ twitter posts about him tapping out. Right now he could be looking back at a catastrophic year, but with guts and hard work he has turned it into another hugely successful year.

Nothing from Ronda's twitter, just saw some posting of her leaving out the back of the place with her hood up. Has there been any interview or response from her at all?

Yeah the difference between them legends or Tiger they dont go into hiding reappear refuse to talk to the media who helped create them and then get exposed even more so, she has her place as a pioneer or the womens division thats it nothing else no legend no great fighter not even close to being rounded an insult to anyone like chuck or bj to compare their legacies to her.

Do you seriously think anyone will remember or even care about her refusal to engage with the media in 5, 10 or 20 years from now? Sure mate.

Its her achievements in the Octagon that she will be remembered for. Will most likely be the first female Hall of Famer. And deservedly so.

BJ Penn and Chuck both lost all but one of their last 6 or 7 fights as far as I remember and their legacies and places as legends of the sport are firmly intact. Rouseys will remain intact also.

29 is a fighters prime though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Completely agree Siobhan, she wanted to be careful about feeding the trolls online. They will most certainly show her the same level of empathy when she eventually loses.

Advertisement