Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

condenser tumble dryer 199

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

air wrote: »
    By the time you add on standing charges and PSO levy etc. you'll probably find that your average rate is a lot closer to 20c/kWh unless you have colossal usage.

they're fixed, so not really relevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yeah that's a far point, 14c is your marginal rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

adox wrote: »
    Absolutely no problem sharing the model no on here or by PM if needed.
    Only have it about six weeks but so far so good. Had the last one approx ten years. Spent quite a lot of time and research before buying.

Any chance of that model number please? :)

What are people's opinions on buying a washer/dryer second hand?

This guy is selling 7 of the same machine (maybe apartment block clearout or something?), maybe a good deal, maybe not? http://www.adverts.ie/washing-machines/barely-used-washer-dryers-one-year-old/11163748

Don't know if it would be one of the high quality washer dryers in the first place being referred to above though :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cormie wrote: »
    Don't know if it would be one of the high quality washer dryers in the first place being referred to above though :o

Candy, definitely not, cheapest of the cheap junk. The brand that cheap landlords and developers love when penny pinching.

I've a candy that came with the place. Useless at drying clothes. I gave up on it for drying and now just use a clothes horse and a dehumdifier to dry clothes, a million times better.

Anyone have any experience of these condenser dryers versus a dehumidifier?

Do the clothes come out of the condenser dryer completely dry and ready to fold or do they still need to be left to hang?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Any chance of that model number please? :)

Heres the one I got:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-03-WVG30461

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot! Was thinking the Candy might be budget line, but then again I've seen reviews of some that seemed to be rated pretty well from many reviews.

The bosch looks decent, also good it's A rated :)

Do people keep their washing machine doors open and the detergent slot open to air them out and prevent mildew etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

For those looking at combo washer/dryers just watch out for one thing.
    They generally have a different load depending on what you are using it for.
    i.e. 8kg wash but only 5kg drying.

Probably the reason so many people give them bad reviews as they don't realise this and thus think they can wash and dry a full load in one go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pippip wrote: »
    Probably the reason so many people give them bad reviews as they don't realise this and thus think they can wash and dry a full load in one go.

No, I know this. Even with less then a half load they are still terrible at drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

bk wrote: »
    No, I know this. Even with less then a half load they are still terrible at drying.

Agree. We have one and it's useless. Absolute dirt.

We Just went and bought a separate bosch dryer the other day. Sorry we didn't do so sooner. Mount washmore will be no more very soon.

Got this one, very happy with it: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-WTW87560

€729 for a dryer alone :eek:

There's some interesting info for drying clothes from post 147 here comparing a dryer to a dehumidifier for anyone interested: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300666

• Advertisement

€729 for a dryer alone :eek:

There's some interesting info for drying clothes from post 147 here comparing a dryer to a dehumidifier for anyone interested: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300666

I know, I read the posts about saving money on the long run and maybe jumped the gun a bit too quickly. You know yourself, you get what you pay for.... Generally, but yeah, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

5 year warranty with that Bosch one at least.
    I was going to take the plunge with the one in the OP but after the price rise I ended going with this

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-8230W

Has a sensor and an extra kg load when compared to the other model. Very happy with it so far.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not a bad price for that 8kg model.

It has a pump to bring water to the tank at the top too, which is handy, or you can pipe it out the waste and never have to empty it!

I know, I read the posts about saving money on the long run and maybe jumped the gun a bit too quickly. You know yourself, you get what you pay for.... Generally, but yeah, you're right.

Completely understandable, washing and drying is an absolute pain if it works and makes life easier, then it could well pay off.

How do you find it? Does clothes come out completely dry or require more time hanging, etc.

Completely understandable, washing and drying is an absolute pain if it works and makes life easier, then it could well pay off.

How do you find it? Does clothes come out completely dry or require more time hanging, etc.

Putting a full load in straight after a wash (mixed load of tshirts, jeans etc) for about 80 mins, towels maybe 100 mins. Totally dry but the clothes are not creased much and feel soft, all good. I was running the program for the specific type load (eg duvets) and it needed another 20 mins really so just running timed one.

There's an option for cold drying? Think that's for delicate clothing. Lots of options I haven't figured out yet. I'm throwing jumpers straight onto the clothes horse. Can't be good in there but haven't tried them yet either.

I can't believe the amount of moisture and fluff that come off the clothes. Anyway, I'm waffling now.

That's the downside to tumble drying though - the fluff is the result of the drier wearing the clothes away. They won't last as long as line dried clothes.

That's the downside to tumble drying though - the fluff is the result of the drier wearing the clothes away. They won't last as long as line dried clothes.

Yes, that is one of the reason I use line drying + dehumidifier, I've a lot of Marino Wool clothing. Don't want to damage it, it is quiet expensive.

The dehumidifier is fantastic, WAY better then the old combi dryer, but I just don't like the space the clothes racks take up and the time it takes to load it. But still seems to be the best bet by the sounds of it.

Same here but I've relocated my hot water tank from my former "hot press" and will install the dehumidifier with a small condensate pump and some custom racking soon. Will mean I won't have clothes hanging around in a visible location any longer.

Same here but I've relocated my hot water tank from my former "hot press" and will install the dehumidifier with a small condensate pump and some custom racking soon. Will mean I won't have clothes hanging around in a visible location any longer.

Great idea. Hot presses aren't really very hot any more due to modern insulation of the cylinder and anyway not really a good idea to just have the moisture dissipate into the walls at the center of your home. This is a great solution and use for a hot press that you have come up with.

I don't have a hot press at all, no hot water cylinder at all, which is great, instant hot water from a system boiler, a revelation!

Fortunately the clothes is hidden away in a small study, which is great for the drying process, but means I can't use the study while drying and it is a pain to put the clothes up in the tight space. I'm always trying to think of an alternative, but no luck so far. Crazy how complicated drying clothes is in modern homes *

* The solution is actually been done in apartments in the US and elsewhere for decades, a laundry room in the basement with industrial washing machines and dryers, fast and awesome.

Maybe a more compact and vertical based clothes horse would suit you better? I have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DMCMP0G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZZG9UXRRKZE and find it great for my small space, the regular horizontal ones are huge and take up so much space compared to it.

this thread has made me realise I need more excitement in my life :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Candy, definitely not, cheapest of the cheap junk. The brand that cheap landlords and developers love when penny pinching.

I've a candy that came with the place. Useless at drying clothes. I gave up on it for drying and now just use a clothes horse and a dehumdifier to dry clothes, a million times better.

Anyone have any experience of these condenser dryers versus a dehumidifier?

Do the clothes come out of the condenser dryer completely dry and ready to fold or do they still need to be left to hang?

+1 on this. Cheap Landlords use Candy or any other low end mass produced British white goods. Smart landlords use Bosch. Bosch is generally slightly more expensive than Candy (I would say about a third more). But the quality is not comparable

I know a landlord who was using Candy and was replacing most of their appliances every 2/3 years. He has Bosch washing machines going 10 years without an issue or a service once. Bosch is built to last

The most modern dryers are now heat pumps ones. Instead of condensing the hot humid air and wasting the heat. Heat pumps recirculate the condensed heat back into the drum and recycle it. They are about 50% more efficient than older dryers.

A condenser dryer is a regular dryer just the hot humid air is condensed into water and put into a tray to be empty or down the drain. They are designed for houses where you can't have a vent to let the hot air escape

Maybe a more compact and vertical based clothes horse would suit you better? I have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DMCMP0G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZZG9UXRRKZE and find it great for my small space, the regular horizontal ones are huge and take up so much space compared to it.

Yup I've two of them. Allows to do a double load in the space of one. But then the downside is they are more difficult to load in a tight space.
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    I know a landlord who was using Candy and was replacing most of their appliances every 2/3 years. He has Bosch washing machines going 10 years without an issue or a service once. Bosch is built to last

Unfortunately a property developer doesn't have to worry about the long term when including kitchen in a new build :(
    A condenser dryer is a regular dryer just the hot humid air is condensed into water and put into a tray to be empty or down the drain. They are designed for houses where you can't have a vent to let the hot air escape

Yes and unfortunately many if not most apartments can't vent hot air outside. Instead they just vent it to the apartment with cheap combis and cause mold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

+1 on this. Cheap Landlords use Candy or any other low end mass produced British white goods. Smart landlords use Bosch. Bosch is generally slightly more expensive than Candy (I would say about a third more). But the quality is not comparable

The most modern dryers are now heat pumps ones. Instead of condensing the hot humid air and wasting the heat. Heat pumps recirculate the condensed heat back into the drum and recycle it. They are about 50% more efficient than older dryers.

Our landlord got a new candy washer / dryer when we moved into our apartment. After a year or two the drum came loose and badly damaged the outer. Landlord contacted Candy and a contract repairman came out with a new drum. He basically said Candy have replaced all the parts in recent years and now use cheap plastic resulting in constantly machine failures.

Best avoid

The vertical horses are fine, I've one of each but the horizontal ones have a lot more capacity, especially for larger items.

Boring as watching paint dry this stuff, but dealing with boring crap as efficiently as possible leaves more time for the fun stuff in life.

Folks, my friend is getting rid of a dryer here (and a washing machine): http://www.adverts.ie/12132710

I think it's a very fair price for both but there hasn't been much interest, I think it's probably just a matter of time before somebody looking for both comes along, but everyone just seems to be interested in the dryer.

I guess most people already have washing machines and thinking they could do with a dryer, especially this time of year.

Anyone reckon it's priced too high? I don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Folks, my friend is getting rid of a dryer here (and a washing machine): http://www.adverts.ie/12132710

I think it's a very fair price for both but there hasn't been much interest, I think it's probably just a matter of time before somebody looking for both comes along, but everyone just seems to be interested in the dryer.

I guess most people already have washing machines and thinking they could do with a dryer, especially this time of year.

Anyone reckon it's priced too high? I don't think so!

He could do with better pictures and with some more detail about them. What he has in that add is a bit minimalistic.
    Also he should give details on how old each machine is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting discussion (well insofar as washer/dryers can be so!) I bought a combo from Indesit for 400 only 6kg wash/5kg dry unit with a B rating but as I'm single and using it only once a week at most the sheer convenience and price swayed me. In the "good six months" I doubt I'll be using the dryer aspect much at all but it's a godsend in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Not the heat pump dryers take much longer and they build up pressure for the like first 15 mins so only start drying then. If you open the door to check if the clothes are try it will take another 15 mins to build up pressure to dry again.

Its also worth getting a dryer that can be plumped in so the waste pipe can go into the washing machine waste pipe so you only need to clean the filter and not enter the tank. make sure you read the manual on how to do this correctly or you will have a leak.

Advertisement