Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

condenser tumble dryer 199

Options
  • 28-12-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

available in power city
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-DC7112W

Also saw them in B and Q, alongside some 199 Beko washing machines.

Just picked up the dryer - great if you don't have a vent in the wall, mines gone under the stairs:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

ha! i was only looking in budget appliances today at a new dryer!!

ill have a look online at reviews! have you used yours yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

shakencat wrote: »
    ha! i was only looking in budget appliances today at a new dryer!!

ill have a look online at reviews! have you used yours yet?

Yep used it last night , does what is says on the tin. Was looking at these a few months ago and left it as the condenser versions were way more expensive than the vented.Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Seems like great reviews
    Good find OP

There are a few good deals going this week...We went for the 10kg Candy in PowerCity to get the weekly mountain done at €275 (same in HN)
    Reviews here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MSMUH1S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483007064&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=GVCD101WB&dpPl=1&dpID=41UMwaT6H2L&ref=plSrch

i bought it today, also want to try get a new tv.. so now the online reviews will start!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks has anyone come across any good deals on a 7kg minimum washer/dryer? It's not for me, but for someone who actually has a condenser dryer and washing machine separate and looking to replace with a washer dryer. They will also be selling the condenser dryer (perfect condition).

cormie wrote: »
    Folks has anyone come across any good deals on a 7kg minimum washer/dryer? It's not for me, but for someone who actually has a condenser dryer and washing machine separate and looking to replace with a washer dryer. They will also be selling the condenser dryer (perfect condition).

id tell them not to do it.
    i had one, they're a melt!

Take ages to dry the clothes...
    well mine did anyway!!

Well I was suggesting to them just to use it as a secondary option, with the primary option being a dehumidifier. Space is a bit of an issue hence replacing two, with a two in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

Well I was suggesting to them just to use it as a secondary option, with the primary option being a dehumidifier. Space is a bit of an issue hence replacing two, with a two in one.

Bad move. Unless they are going into the premiership of W/Ds i'd advise against it. Virtually anyone who has come from a 2 in 1 to 2 separate units would never go back. The absolute only benefit is the space saved.

Negatives fare outweigh the positives here I'm afraid.

Why what's so bad about them? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Chance of staying without washing machine/dryer is higher. Energy saving rating is B or lower. Only good thing is space saving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why what's so bad about them? :eek:

Our one takes three times as long to dry clothes compared to a conventional dryer i had

Stheno wrote: »
    Our one takes three times as long to dry clothes compared to a conventional dryer i had

not a chance of getting more than two loads done a day...

i remember those times.

the clothes also always came out wrinkled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

We have used a washer dryer for years due to space. Our Zanussi died recently and we replaced it with a Bosch. Works greet but more mid to high end pricing than budget. Was a little over €600.

Thanks for the replies folks. So my friend might be ok if they splash out at least €600 for one? Would it be up to a standard condenser dryer in terms of quality and speed of drying etc then I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Thanks OP just picked up one of these, been without a dryer for almost a year so looking forward to not having clothes on the radiators anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for the replies folks. So my friend might be ok if they splash out at least €600 for one? Would it be up to a standard condenser dryer in terms of quality and speed of drying etc then I wonder?
    As I mentioned earlier Cormie, you're correct. You do get what you pay for with the combi. Adox could be well worth a PM for more info and specifics on his purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 louthuser

Ordered one myself earlier, Powercity guy said today is last day at this price, so if you want one get ordering...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

dodzy wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier Cormie, you're correct. You do get what you pay for with the combi. Adox could be well worth a PM for more info and specifics on his purchase.

Absolutely no problem sharing the model no on here or by PM if needed.
    Only have it about six weeks but so far so good. Had the last one approx ten years. Spent quite a lot of time and research before buying.

Please do and please state where you bought and if you researched best price if so :)

Also, if you could compare to how the drying works and how long it takes compared to cheaper models or compared to a standalone that would be brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Purchased. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

504 kw/h per year is a lot but you need to remember that its based on 160 cycles per year which is the EU average.

Electricity prices in Ireland cost €24.1 per 100kWh

So thats Euro 121.46 per year to run your dryer. For 200 euro more you can get a dryer that uses about half the power which would save you about 60 euro a year so the difference is paid back in about 3 years.

Now all this above is based on the average EU use of the dryer. I would say that of days that there is rain Ireland is very high up their though the amount of rain will be not too high so it would be fair to say that we are probably bigger users of a dryer than those in the south of France, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. So even if you were to say that it would save you 90 euro a year then buying a dryer that is not high energy rated here is a false economy unless you are a landlord and are not paying the bills.

Also with some of the condenser dryers you can take the pipe from the back and put it in the waste pipe for the washing machine so you never have yo empty the tank but clean the filter. So let you some do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We have a combo in our rental apartment and this type of dryer is terrible. Save up and get a proper one if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rom wrote: »
    Electricity prices in Ireland cost €24.1 per 100kWh

you need to switch supplier - I'm paying 14c per kWh.

loyatemu wrote: »

I did a search for https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cost+of+kwh+in+ireland

so sorry my numbers are wrong but its still better to buy a more efficient dryer as it will save you more money than paying less up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just for those buying the Beko Condenser Dryer.
    Bought one approx 4 years ago, albeit a slightly different model, and have never had a single issue with it.
    We give the clothes, especially towels, a second run on the spin cycle in the washing machine before popping them into the dryer, then they dry out even faster.
    Great machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Price up to 219 today. Damn it. Would have liked to get that model at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

I did a search for https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cost+of+kwh+in+ireland

so sorry my numbers are wrong but its still better to buy a more efficient dryer as it will save you more money than paying less up front.

Judging by what I found its not such a saving (granted my sums might be wrong) .
    An a+ rated dryer I was looking at uses 2.72kw per cycle. This uses 4.22kw per cycle.

A 1.5kw difference is 18c per cycle. The a rated dryer was €470. (270 difference)
    €270÷.18=1500 cycles to make your money back?

Judging by what I found its not such a saving (granted my sums might be wrong) .
    An a+ rated dryer I was looking at uses 2.72kw per cycle. This uses 4.22kw per cycle.

A 1.5kw difference is 18c per cycle. The a rated dryer was €470. (270 difference)
    €270÷.18=1500 cycles to make your money back?
    Could be right but an 18cent per cycle difference seems low. The A rated one probably has a detector for the clothes for being dry also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

loyatemu wrote: »

By the time you add on standing charges and PSO levy etc. you'll probably find that your average rate is a lot closer to 20c/kWh unless you have colossal usage.

Advertisement