Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that foolishly fooled you with their trailers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Knew the story anyway.

The trailer - brilliant - "Look at me. I am Captain."

Film - meh. Couldn't be bothered to watch it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Jarhead was a big letdown from the trailer.

It gave the impression that there was loads of action when in fact there was hardly any.

The Suicide Squad trailer was a recent example of getting people excited for an average movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bad Santa 2. It looked hilarious in the trailer but it was awful. Not a patch on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Alexander, felt like asking for my money back on the way out of the cinema.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blazer wrote: »
    Any of the recent Star Wars films, all muck.
    I thought the recent Rogue One an OK flic. Nothing mind-blowing and I found it hard to connect with any of the characters, but OK. At least it was an original story, unlike the other empty ponced up marketing exercise dreck that was The Farce Awakens. Then again it was Abrams, so empty ponced up marketing exercise dreck one kinda expects.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Calvary- such rot! On foot of the trailer I was really excited for it, but from the opening few seconds it got my back up and continued to do so throughout. Went to see it with my housemates. One of them fell asleep for about 20 minutes and I was struggling to keep awake too. From the minute the lights came up at the end, all the way out to the car park, on the drive back and then for about 30 minutes more at home we bitched and bitched about how bad it was.

Foxcatcher was a letdown too, after a trailer that promised so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The Lobster, what a load of boll©ks.

Its an incredibly clever and layered film that shows society has no tolerance for single people and the incessant push and pressures to be in a relationship creating a warped hate filled society trying to force love to happen.. Just cos its surrealist and deals mainly in metaphor doesnt mean its bad it shows the movies depth. I for one like it. Delighted to see a deep surreal Irish film. God knows they are very very few and far between. Tired of dumbed down muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

A film that has a trailer that features audience reaction is guaranteed to be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Collateral Beauty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Waaaay too many too list here, I hate trailers, they always spoil the good bits of the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The Drop. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't live up to the trailer that played at the start of every movie I seen in the cinema for about a year.

It's a fantastic trailer and the song choice is the perfect compliment but the film does drag a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mikeym wrote: »
    Jarhead was a big letdown from the trailer.

It gave the impression that there was loads of action when in fact there was hardly any.

The Suicide Squad trailer was a recent example of getting people excited for an average movie.

That's pretty meta of Jarhead, give that's an actual theme of the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Django unchained, apart from about 3 good scenes the story was all over the place and it was pure horse sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Black Mass! Awful! Tried to be goodfellas ended up as a badly tasting pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No-one mentioned The Phantom Menace yet? The movie that got a generation of new and old Star Wars film ultra hyped for what turned out to be a CGI mess of boredom, speeches and Jar Jar!

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy's latest one "Mr Church" came across as a ok drama that might be worth a look. Watched it last night. One of the best films I've seen in ages but not for those who want 'splosions and cool effects. Just a very good movie that shows Eddie Murphy is still far better than a lot of the shyte he did in the last 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No-one mentioned The Phantom Menace yet? The movie that got a generation of new and old Star Wars film ultra hyped for what turned out to be a CGI mess of boredom, speeches and Jar Jar!

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy's latest one "Mr Church" came across as a ok drama that might be worth a look. Watched it last night. One of the best films I've seen in ages but not for those who want 'splosions and cool effects. Just a very good movie that shows Eddie Murphy is still far better than a lot of the shyte he did in the last 15-20 years.

You have to watch low budget films to get an actual interesting story now. The art of storytelling is dead in Hollywood replaced by storytelling by moving pictures! Involving blowing up things and the occasional witty response. I watched Wardogs which i quite liked even though it ripped of the wolf of wall street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Recently watched "The Infiltrator" after getting hyped up over the trailer and was very disappointed. Was expecting this smart double crossing/ multi twist plotline but was just so straight and boring right to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Alexander, felt like asking for my money back on the way out of the cinema.

Agreed, had potential but just didn't work with Colin as Alexander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Russia House w Connery and Pfeifer

Soporific rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You have to watch low budget films to get an actual interesting story now.

Yeah I recently watched These Final Hours, a low budget Australian film about the end of the world. It was better than most Hollywood blockbusters of the same topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Sausage Party - shyyyyyte

I actually sat through this, not having any reasonable option but to. I got the impression that it was conceived and written (possibly ad-libed) during a short but heavy narcotics session and ended up being made as the resources were available and no-one wanted to be so rude as to call it for what it is. Which is the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Layer Cake fooled me, thought it was going to be a clever crime film but it was just boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

so many have fooled me but the kicker is I could watch a film and think it was shi*te then a while later be in the cinema and see a trailer for said sh*te film and think "oh that looks decent.....wait a min......:("

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

The latest Godzilla. Trailer was immense.

Film was woeful.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Debbie does Dundalk.

There was nare a bit about d'town in it hai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Django unchained, apart from about 3 good scenes the story was all over the place and it was pure horse sh1t.

But don't you see, it was a parody of ****ty westerns from the 70s, so all the bits that seemed crap were actually Tarantino being a GENIUS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

seiphil wrote: »
    The latest Godzilla. Trailer was immense.

Film was woeful.

I was led to believe Bryan Cranston was the star of it.
    He dies after 25 minutes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if ever a movie undersold itself in a trailer it was Fight Club.
    John Carter.

The trailer looked like a poor remake of the arena in Attack of the Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Without a shadow of doubt. The film was largely disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Invention of Lying. I thought it was going to be a comedy rather than atheist propaganda.

Advertisement