Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good excuses to give for NOT drinking

Options
  • 25-12-2016 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

A while back, we had our work Christmas party. I didn't fancy a hangover or making a tit of myself so I planned to drive in.

When I told some of my co-workers about this, they were shocked and appalled, as if I had just turned down a million pounds jackpot.

When I arrived, I had a welcome glass of champagne, but refused anything else as I was driving. Some people, even after telling them I didn't want drink as my car was outside, insisted I drank, told me to "ditch" the car in the guest car park get a taxi back home and drive my car home tomorrow.

I felt horrendously guilty after refusing a drink that they had bought me (even though they bought it after I clearly told them I wasn't taking alcohol).

What excuse can I give to people that they'll believe or should I just tell them to fuck off if they insist?

I'm male and 25 btw, pregnancy is no excuse :P Antibiotics is the oldest excuse in the book btw :P

Comments

that you dont want to drink

obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The antibiotics

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Doctor's orders. Seriously.

Don't claim any particular condition; unless they're really rude they won't ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

"You live your life, and I'll live mine"

You can say it with a smile and be friendly about it, but it usually gets the point across fairly quickly :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rampant alcoholism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just say;
    ".. I've given it up, ages ago, but I'm still able to have a great time."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

How about "I have to work with ye shower of fuks every day of the week, I don't want to use up valuable drinking time with ye as well".

I use it all the time and I actually mean it, no one takes me seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Who needs an excuse?
    If they wanna waste their money buying you a drink simply because they didn't listen when you said " No thank you", well so be it.

The day will come when you won't worry what they'll say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

In Mother Russia, alcohol drink you.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Tell them you've taken a short term pledge with the pioneers total abstinence association.

http://www.pioneerassociation.ie/short-term-pledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Judge ordered I'm to abstain from alcohol, after the *cough* incident

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Tell them you're training for an Iron Man or a 10k. I havent drank in 6 months and the latter is my actual real excuse.

If that doesnt get them off your back then tell them to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's a party where everyone is going to be drinking. If you know this is the situation and you're not going to drink, why turn up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Antibiotics is not enough. Be specific. Flagyl, I think it's called. Given to me for tooth infection and apparently causes the body to metabolise alcohol differently. Can cause all sorts when mixed.

Also, early flight, that you can't miss. I did use that once, but it was also true as I wasn't able to miss it.

Otherwise, honesty. I've had people look at me as if I had two heads when I said I was planning on cycling home so had a 1 drink limit, but I arrived into work next day with a nice clear head while they were all messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ah for fcuk sake just tell them you're a Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

'I've a bit of a drink problem and tend to batter people that offer me drinks'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

You're trying to cure an acute case of gout? It'll probably make for a good icebreaker conversation too, win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tell them that the drink exacerbates your phychosis and that you had to leave your last company after battering the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tell them you had a massive alcohol and drug problem a few years ago. Your wife and family abandoned you and you nearly died of a heroin overdose in a back alley somewhere and it subsequently took you years to get clean and you're fcked if you're going to throw your life away for a few drinks at the xmas party. That usually shuts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

longshanks wrote: »
    It's a party where everyone is going to be drinking. If you know this is the situation and you're not going to drink, why turn up?

So what you're saying is that pissheads should only really turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

People don't care, it's only in your head if you think they do. I've seen both sides - I've been off the drink thinking people would be bothered but nobody cares - and I've had friends off the drink and been out with them I couldn't care less

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Antibiotics.

Problem here is they'll think you have something contagious, which can put a damper on the old social life, if you get my drift ...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

You just don't fancy a drink simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You don't need an excuse, just stick to your guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Tell them that it's just that you get a bit handsy...

Then make international diddy squish signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Learn the following phrase, and use as required. Works every time:

"No thanks"

If someone buys drinks for you anyway, that's on them. You've no need to feel guilty because someone decides to ignore what you've told them..

No thanks, I'm not drinking - or to be really unequivocal just tell them you don't drink and don't apologise for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Anyone who gives you stick over it is an idiot. If you don't want to drink, don't drink. Most people wont care, some will but more fool them.
    should I just tell them to fuck off if they insist?
    Yes, you should. Politely at first, but firmly if they persist. And don't feel guilty if they waste their money buying you drink, that's their fault.

Advertisement