Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day, what's yer plans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

pilly wrote: »
    In Canada visiting my son, only problem is we haven't found a proper ham yet! I was gonna bring one and all and thought "no they'll definitely have that over there!

Ask for a pickled ham or cottage roll, closest you'll get here to a daycent bit of ham ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I am working til late afternoon (it will have been a 24 hour shift), then plan to have an indulgent day of watching Home Alone drinking wine and eating sweets all on my lonesome before having an early night. I can't wait! My husband is spending it with his family and we will have our present and turkey day on Stephen's day.

I'm working too.
    Feckin' homeless people wanting to be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I'm working too.

Shhhhhh, we will get shot!!!

I am actually in a residential so it will be pretty quiet. Most of the young people are going to spend the day with family, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Working till 2, be at parents around 3, half way through first bottle of beer 5 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I am in a three person relationship and the third set of grandparents feel themselves to be "grandparents" in every sense of the word except biological. And they are keen to become real grandparents in the future too. Kinda in the same way if you adopted children - your parents would likely feel like "grandparents".

Having minor cooking issues now that means I have to divert time to rescuing one of my preparations that I was not planning on. Argh. I _rarely_ resort to television to distract children except in an emergency like this so now I am wondering what is a good short notice Xmas movie to Amazon. I am thinking Polar Express

panic panic panic - any chefs in the maynooth area come over and help - so I am not up all night doing this :)

Yeah I am starting to see the advantages of pre-packaged entertainment ideas like Santa :)

Im curious..wtf is a three person relationship

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Staying in my pjs all day, playing games & reading & eating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sleep late in the morning and go down to the brothers place around 3 for dinner.

Come back home and spend the evening drinking beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I got my Christmas dinner sorted. Desert will be jelly in a mug and ice cream.

Christmas can go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lass

Preparing dinner for a mixed bunch of homeless after witnessing yesterdays clothes and xmas boxes raid at the G.P.O. They got very little and again the same group got everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Working so nothing different to most other weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

The past few months has been ok-ish but the last 6/7 weeks has been tough and gruelling. Christmas is going to be very low key this year at home due to a very recent death in the family.

I usually love Xmas. This year I don't know what to think of it. I did feel I would like to make something of the Christmas. Got a food shop done this morning. The tree came down from the attic just today and I'm doing that job now. It's all very low key. No presents. Hoping to have a sleep in tomorrow. Then I will get up and up on a laundry wash because there is a huge backlog and mountain of clothes building up on my bedroom floor. Dinner will be a chicken with some veg. Hoping to attend to a hobby in the evening - whichever one I would like: - gaming, knitting or adult colouring book. Or I might read a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

The Raptor wrote: »
    I got my Christmas dinner sorted. Desert will be jelly in a mug and ice cream.

Christmas can go to hell.

Enjoy. Brussel sprouts are lovely with melted cheese on top.

I'll be eatin', snoozin', watching my nephews and niece be hyperactively excited, agreeing with everything my granny says to annoy my mum, listening to dad's jokes that he forgot he told last year, playing darts with my cousin and pretending to be interested in what my uncle and siblings are talking about when all I really want to do is watch Home Alone for the 59th time.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Heated pudding. Ice cream. Dash of Bailey's.

It will be the same as most Sundays but with more eating. I'll visit my mammy in the nursing home but will only manage about 20 minutes before leaving. Then back home to pjs and a few beers and perhaps a valium to float away on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

We dont really do the Christmas thing. Will probably be just like any other Sunday for us

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I'm working too.

I'm working three.
    Feckin' dying people wanting to be nursed.

Thankfully I'm just joking in that I don't have any planned visits to do tomorrow, I honestly hope for their sake as opposed to mine that nobody needs me tomorrow and that all the patients have the best day they can. I'm on standby until 4:30pm so I'll shuffle round the office and pop down to the wards to pass the time, then hit the road for home which is the other side of the country. My family are very kindly postponing dinner from the usual 4pm to about 7pm to accommodate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Specialun wrote: »

It's a bit like having your cake and eating it. And then having even more cake and eating that too because you're still hungry.

I'm going to my dad's house for food, and then I'll go home and eat food for the rest of the evening. I'm looking forward to Stephenseseseseseses Day even more, because I'll be alone for the day, eating turkey, ham and stuffing sandwiches, drinking tea, reading and betting on horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

The usual for me. Going to midnight mass.Christmas day going to visit my dad's and other relatives graves. Come back have some breakfast open up the pressies and look forward to watching some movies and pigging out after Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pilly wrote: »
    In Canada visiting my son, only problem is we haven't found a proper ham yet!
    What about William Shatner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Have dinner with the wife open presents and have a few drinks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I am in a three person relationship and the third set of grandparents feel themselves to be "grandparents" in every sense of the word except biological. And they are keen to become real grandparents in the future too. Kinda in the same way if you adopted children - your parents would likely feel like "grandparents".

If you adopted children, your parents would be grandparents, legally as well as emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I am in a three person relationship

That would be an interesting AMA.

Wohoo! cooking crisis averted - daughter finishing off her "secret" present for her parents now before bed. Everything set!
    Specialun wrote: »

Like a couple - only its three people not two. A truple :)
    muddypaws wrote: »
    If you adopted children, your parents would be grandparents, legally as well as emotionally.

That was the point I was making yes :) It is a lot like that with us only less of the legal connection of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Wohoo! cooking crisis averted - daughter finishing off her "secret" present for her parents now before bed. Everything set!

Like a couple - only its three people not two. A truple :)

That was the point I was making yes :) It is a lot like that with us only less of the legal connection of course.

So like you have two girlfriends..how does that work..patience of a saint if so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Mass early, drive to visit my mother in a nursing home 50 kms away, then dinner in my brother's house, and I won't refuse a drink at any time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Advbrd wrote: »
    Sounds good but where are you getting the six grand parents from?

Ah yeah, I remember your set up now, best of luck.

How did you miss that? It's mentioned in nearly all of his posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Having the two neighbours either side of me in for dinner both in their 80's "no families"( all to busy/away for Christmas), some sherry before dinner 3 course meal(small portions of course) and baileys coffee for afters and listen to the stories of old again lol.

Fair play to you. The world would be a fantastic place with more people like you in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Having the two neighbours either side of me in for dinner both in their 80's "no families"( all to busy/away for Christmas), some sherry before dinner 3 course meal(small portions of course) and baileys coffee for afters and listen to the stories of old again lol.
    You make Santa Claus look like an amateur.

Advertisement