Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day, what's yer plans?

Options
  • 24-12-2016 6:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭

Off to my sister's

First time not at my parents, I don't think I'll miss the drama tbf.

Whats your plans boardsies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

mansize wrote: »
    Off to my sister's

First time not at my parents, I don't think I'll miss the drama tbf.

Whats your plans boardsies?
    Cook turkey for a mixed bag of Irish, Greeks and Italian Americans.
    Watch Doctor Who, relax and do shag all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm dropping my mam to the airport later to go to Australia to arrive Christmas Day to surprise her mother and siblings.

My dad is staying here. He doesn't eat meat. I bought Brussel sprouts without realising only my mam likes them.

My best friend is due a baby on the day, but she has a history of going over.

So it could be very eventful or very boring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Get up about 10am to nip next-door and feed nextdoors cat.

Rest of the day.. We will see what happens. Will have our usual Sunday dinner with all the bits (Same as a xmas dinner), drink as we have no work the next day.. Watch a few films.. I dont know!

Can do what I want as I only have the other half for company and neither of us can be arsed with it (although we do still get presents for each other).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Weather doesn't look great, suspect I'll be dabbling in a bit of yoga for the first time while waiting on the dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

About 2 months ago I thought it was a great idea to volunteer to host Christmas dinner in my place.

I'm bitterly regretting it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Flying back to Ireland. Ideally with as little drama as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go out to see the Christmas swim people in Clontarf, then home for dinner. May well be just me and herself this year, which I wouldn't mind to be honest, but a possibility of her son, his friend and another 'spare' friend. We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Advbrd wrote: »
    and do shag

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dinner at home with the family, as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

amtc wrote: »
    My dad is staying here. He doesn't eat meat. I bought Brussel sprouts without realising only my mam likes them.

Cornucopia in Dublin do a take-away vegetarian Chrostmas Dinner especially for those catering to non-meat eating guests.

Now you're supposed to have pre-ordered it but one year I phoned early on Christmas Eve and they sorted me for a 4pm collection will all bar one item off the menu.

Worth trying them if you're going to be in town anyway...

http://www.cornucopia.ie/christmas-take-away/

• Advertisement

Enourmous dinner planned as every year. With six grand parents - multiple siblings - and many neices nephews and my own children to cater for I usually start cooking and preparing for this some weeks in advance.

Also since we do not do the Santa thing - we have a Christmas present treasure hunt thing going on all around our area and dublin area. With clues and riddles and puzzles and quests and challenges all set up and ready. The end locations of which allow us to hand deliver some presents to the children of friends and collect the clues there that I emailed them and they have printed out ready for our arrival.

Will be a big - involved - mass of excitement and joy for the kids and probably quiet wearying for me :)

Enourmous dinner planned as every year. With six grand parents - multiple siblings - and many neices nephews and my own children to cater for I usually start cooking and preparing for this some weeks in advance.

Also since we do not do the Santa thing - we have a Christmas present treasure hunt thing going on all around our area and dublin area. With clues and riddles and puzzles and quests and challenges all set up and ready. The end locations of which allow us to hand deliver some presents to the children of friends and collect the clues there that I emailed them and they have printed out ready for our arrival.

Will be a big - involved - mass of excitement and joy for the kids and probably quiet wearying for me :)
    Sounds good but where are you getting the six grand parents from?

Ah yeah, I remember your set up now, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Jeez I was bollixed tired after reading this.....

Advbrd wrote: »
    Sounds good but where are you getting the six grand parents from?

I am in a three person relationship and the third set of grandparents feel themselves to be "grandparents" in every sense of the word except biological. And they are keen to become real grandparents in the future too. Kinda in the same way if you adopted children - your parents would likely feel like "grandparents".

Having minor cooking issues now that means I have to divert time to rescuing one of my preparations that I was not planning on. Argh. I _rarely_ resort to television to distract children except in an emergency like this so now I am wondering what is a good short notice Xmas movie to Amazon. I am thinking Polar Express

panic panic panic - any chefs in the maynooth area come over and help - so I am not up all night doing this :)
    secman wrote: »
    Jeez I was bollixed tired after reading this.....

Yeah I am starting to see the advantages of pre-packaged entertainment ideas like Santa :)

I am in a three person relationship and the third set of grandparents feel themselves to be "grandparents" in every sense of the word except biological. And they are keen to become real grandparents in the future too. Kinda in the same way if you adopted children - your parents would likely feel like "grandparents".

Having minor cooking issues now that means I have to divert time to rescuing one of my preparations that I was not planning on. Argh. I _rarely_ resort to television to distract children except in an emergency like this so now I am wondering what is a good short notice Xmas movie to Amazon. I am thinking Polar Express

panic panic panic - any chefs in the maynooth area come over and help - so I am not up all night doing this :)

Yeah I am starting to see the advantages of pre-packaged entertainment ideas like Santa :)
    I'll be in Maynooth later on actually to collect a chef but we have a full day. Relax, it will all work out.

Ah it always works out in the end :) How long I end up staying up late the night before to get it all "right" varies however. :) Usually it is not too bad. One year I was up until 4am doing stuff though.

But once it is done it is done and I have very little to do on the actual day itself. So people are running around after me rather than the other way around and it gets quite relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I am in a three person relationship and the third set of grandparents feel themselves to be "grandparents" in every sense of the word except biological.
    Ahhh there it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

8 for dinner tomorrow spanning 4 generations.

2 gravies (meat and veggie) and stuffing already done. Ham will go into the Sous Vide now for 8 hours or so. Then off down the country to pick up the kids from granny's.

Will prep veggies this afternoon and then it's off to a friends house with the kids for traditional Christmas Eve curry and drink. I'll figure out timings in the morning and we should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Opening pressies with my little man and herself, followed by dinner @ ours with the in laws(Jaysus) followed by a couple of bottles of cronins watching tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Get up around 9.
    Big fry up around 10.30.
    Open presents.
    Telly, tea, sweets, crisps, cake.
    Dinner around 4.30.
    Telly, tea, sweets, crisps, cake.
    2 big sambos.
    Bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am working til late afternoon (it will have been a 24 hour shift), then plan to have an indulgent day of watching Home Alone drinking wine and eating sweets all on my lonesome before having an early night. I can't wait! My husband is spending it with his family and we will have our present and turkey day on Stephen's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Ahhh there it is!

He was asked this time in fairness :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Up at the crack of dawn for Santa with the kids. Parents and siblings coming over for dinner in the afternoon. Later in the night, a few drinks and chilling out for the two of us. Up early Stephen's Day to drive out West for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I am working til late afternoon (it will have been a 24 hour shift), then plan to have an indulgent day of watching Home Alone drinking wine and eating sweets all on my lonesome before having an early night. I can't wait! My husband is spending it with his family and we will have our present and turkey day on Stephen's day.

This post reminded me of the ikea ad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

vicwatson wrote: »
    This post reminded me of the ikea ad

Sh!te. So I am getting a lamp for christmas?!!

Ahhh there it is!
    Give him some space. He has two mothers in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Having the two neighbours either side of me in for dinner both in their 80's "no families"( all to busy/away for Christmas), some sherry before dinner 3 course meal(small portions of course) and baileys coffee for afters and listen to the stories of old again lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

In Canada visiting my son, only problem is we haven't found a proper ham yet! I was gonna bring one and all and thought "no they'll definitely have that over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Head west today to spend Xmas with the inlaws. Up tomorrow morning with my kid to unwrap the presents Santa left.

Dinner at 3, then movies, card games, do you remember the time stories...

Snooze around 7, then more wine,sandwiches, sweets....followed by bed at midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Our two year old was up at 5am this morning thinking Santy was after coming. Im guessing a similar time tomorrow morning. Having dinner in the in laws following mass. Then my own parents calling and we're having second dinner in ours tomorrow evening. Brewed a batch of Christmas beer which taste tests have proven very good so will be indulging in that over the next few days. All in all relaxation time for all.

Advertisement