Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I remember when they were 44k.

Scandalous price now indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

typo

Post edited by eamondunphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

That pickup has bi-directional charging.

Handy if you have free charging at work: Charge your car in the office, power the house off the car in the evening 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's not that simple, but yeah, nice idea 😂

My first Tesla had free supercharging - until the bully Tesla took it away from me - so was going to do something similar. Just for the craic, because going to a supercharger to charge up for the guts of an hour once or twice a week would get old very quickly and wouldn't really save you all that much money

I did have a rudimentary bi-directional DC (!) charging setup on my Red Arrow. Could dump its battery into my load / my home battery when I switched it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kia does not.
    I have eNiro taxi and full warranty applies. Only this week for replacement boot seal and rear passenger door seal ordered.

Believe it or not, they also replaced the 12v battery this week FOC in Kia Joe Duffy in Airside.

Kia is fine for taxis, but strangely, sister company Hyundai is not. That's why you don't see any Hyundai EV taxis in Ireland

How did you find your model x. I've a 2023 model y but have been offered a 172 model x 100d plus cash for it. I know you swapped to the model 3. how do you find the software and the modern screen compared to the older mcu2. I'm cautious of out of warranty work and think that's putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That would be a mad exchange to make. You'd need your head examined.

How much cash? From a garage with warranty or private deal? The Model X still has until late next year unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty

Model X is several levels up from Model Y, no offence, decent car, but it's a bit of an econobox. Be careful what you compare though, a 172 Model X still came with MCU1 and no CCS conversion

• Advertisement

2016 i3 in very nice spec with 2 year NCT. You'd get it for €9k and that's a bargain

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-nct-03-26/36797691?campaign=3

These cars are not lookers by any stretch of the imagination, but they are fantastic little cars underneath, weight from about 1150kg which is light for any modern car, let alone a full EV. They are getting a bit of a cult following in the likes of the USA and Germany now

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭dr.dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

6 owners

I've not seen the car yet, only 1 photo of the outside tat my friend had on his phone.

It was a brief discussion earlier today but am told that CCS and MCU2 have been updated, not sure the figure yet but was told through my friend that could be between 10 - 15k cash my way.

It's the out of warranty work that's putting me off, I know batteries are generally good but them and the doors are my main concerns in the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Heart = yes

Head = No

No

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

not trying to be argumentative but you criticise all teslas on a daily basis, am looking for a fair opinion from someone like ELM who will call a spade a spade and has real world ownership of one

€15k is a lot of cash your way. If you value your Model Y (231 RWD, right?) at say €34k, that values the Model X at just €19k, which would be very cheap. Insanely cheap for a facelift 100kWh model with CCS and MCU2. That would give you a lot of room for repairs. And remember the biggies are still covered for a while. I would do it. You could drive it for a bit, flip it for a profit if you don't like it. At €10k there is a lot less room, I think I would not.

Your the one trying to trade a less than a year old vehicle for a 7 year old vehicle out of most of it's warranty that is known to be problematic and has lost nearly all of its value in its most popular country the US. As I said head examined. If your questioning such a swap I think you know the truth. The other person wants to get out of it....

What a nonsense argument. It all depends on how much cash is handed with the car if this is a good deal or not. This is fairly objective and not based on emotional drivel about fear of "problematic" cars being out of warranty.

Nonsense argument. Who's buying third hand model Xs ? Emotional drivel from you whenever a Tesla is mentioned you're so wrapped up in the value you got out of your S. ' There's nothing else that does what it does' who talks like that.

The model x is a stone. It dropped like one . Why would the other lad trade it in and get a model y new. They're great value now.

One wonders... because it's worth f all it's not out of niceness. Emotional ? Lol. Just reading the reality of the situation.

• Advertisement

You seem to have completely missed the cash that is part of this transaction. If he got €15k cash with the Model X (putting a value of €19k on it), he could drop it into the trade the next day and make several grand profit. It's fairly objective, but you can't see it because of some mist of hatred about Teslas so it seems 😂 And anyone owning a Tesla who happens to be happy with their car is a Tesla fanboi in your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Why wouldn't the existing owner do it.

Not really considering the reality are ya. Or you think people float around being extra lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, the X is a great car. I sold mine and moved to a model 3. I only did so because I had an X75 and needed the X100 for range. The 3 and Y are a step down from the S and X respectively in terms of premiumness, however they are newer and experience less issues like noises, squeaks, rattles etc. My own X had been back to tesla multiple times for one of the falcon doors scraping the paint on the interior. If not addressed, that causes rust.

The X specifically was quite ahead of its time and I wouldnt own one outside of warranty without some budget to fix issues, it's not an average EV. Stuff will break, falcon doors, seat mechanisms, annoying things like that. But it is a phenomenal car and if you're getting an offer of an X100 plus cash for a Y, I'd bite their hand off. Neither car is easy to sell at the moment but keep the cash (or some of it) for any repairs needed.

A point to note, the X was never delivered in RHD with AP1, so you will always have AP2+. Probably have EAP included aswell. The other upgrades needed (and these are essential IMO, especially coming from a Y) are the CCS upgrade and the MCU2 upgrade. 2k all in for both if not done.

If I could find someone offering me a 1:1 swap at the moment for an X I'd take it in a heartbeat, so the cash is just a bonus on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭djan

A lot of people don't want the perceived hassle and would rather do a straight swap on the spot. It baffles my mind but its the same as people happily losing out on thousands trading in a car rather than selling privately.

@ELM327 - "The other upgrades needed (and these are essential IMO, especially coming from a Y) are the CCS upgrade and the MCU2 upgrade. 2k all in for both if not done."

Agreed if you plan to keep the car long time and they are both already done in that Model X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

To put it in ICE terms, this is no different to swapping a newer SUV like a Volkswagen Tiguan for an older Range Rover Sport. Yes the older car is probably going cost more to run, it may not be as reliable. You may run into problems. But overall its a bigger and better more high end car with way more features. You will feel much better driving it. Some people value these things more than having ‘231’ slapped on their number plate.

And vice versa, the owner of the older car may just want to downgrade the level of car they are driving in order to change into something newer with warranty. There’s valid reasons for both sides wanting to change.

If there was no cash involved, changing to an X would be a heart over head decision. If you just want something to get you from A to B its not worth changing. But with €15k in your back pocket it could be worthwhile financially. You could probably sell the car soon after for profit. And did someone say that the X still has manufacturers warranty? It would definitely tempt me …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A 1yr old MY with average mileage in a colour other than white should get you more than 34K, I would expect that to be a trade offer at a minimum. So let's say you need to shift the MX for 22/23K privately, is there a market for that? I think probably yes, but a very small one and subject to some pretty protracted negotiation.

"If I could find someone offering me a 1:1 swap at the moment for an X I'd take it in a heartbeat, so the cash is just a bonus on top". - If the OP doesn't go for it, why not try the seller @unkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If someone here is selling a model X 100D for 22-23k privately please message me. As long as its the 100D there is no protracted negotiation needed.

(PS, and for clarification, I'm not joking)

Post edited by ELM327 on

• Advertisement

Advertisement