Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed race people

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

NiallBoo wrote: »
    The whole modern concept of race* comes from some 18/19th century anthropologists. That were more looking to back up their opinion that white people were superior than anything else.

Going with this, having black genes meant that you were damaged goods and didn't deserve to be called white.

It amazes me that we still cling to these ideas and that still one of our primary ways of grouping people is based on a genetic variance in melatonin production.

Why not hair colour or height?

And why are the caucuses such a big deal? We're all from Africa anyway.

(*prior to the late 18th century, this simply meant any group of people with something in common)
    Until now, I didn't know what the caucuses were, but skin colour is usually the most obvious visible physical trait we have, so it's just the easiest one to use when distinguishing. It's not that amazing and it's not necessarily sinister! Members of every race do such distinguishing. It would be disingenuous to say we all look the same even with different skin colours. Hair colour and height are not as distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think mixed raced women...are gorgeous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mordeith wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton, Barrack Obama and Trevor Noah are all children of one black and one white parent. Why then are they always referred to as black? Fair enough they have darker skin than 'white' people but genetically it's 50/50

They can hardly be called grey people!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Bit of a bump here but the issue of what "colour" one is often depends on where one is. Trevor Noah, for example, tells a story about driving his younger brother (technically his half brother) to a friend's house in South Africa. Trevor's father is a white European, his brother's father is a black African. He heard his brother's friend say "Hey, How come your brother Trevor is white?"

I've heard similar stories about other mixed race Africans. Over there, they are called "Whitey" (or equivalent in local languages). Here, they might be called something entirely different. Not by nice people, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Holy thread bump batman! :D

• Advertisement

LOL is that a deliberate joke? I would call them black opinions personally.

I wonder if Irish person has one black parent and one white Irish parent, the child is mixed/leaning more towards black, how many generations of all-white parents does it take for them to be considered pure white again?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

In twenty years time this wont be a question as the mass immigration will put paid to any discussions except the Doo Doo of a being pure white person, they will be the minority or at least that seems to be the plan of world governments. Miscegenation is now rampant everywhere even in our adverts and all tv shows and films - the conditioning is in full swing. A white person will be a collectable item in 20 years catch one now and keep it in storage !! Victorian freak shows will make a comeback !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

bob Marley was mixed race and treated badly in his own country until he became famous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

"pure white again" 🤮

Disgusting language. No human should ever be classified as pure or impure. Fúck me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Reading the article now thank you ! But surely you do see the adds on TV & the parts in cinema i.e a black Queen of England in Bridgerton, a planned black James Bond soo contrary to the novels. A female Doctor Who. The advertising for Dunnes - Aldi -Lidl - tesco every consumer item always a mixed race couple or kids, unless, like last year there was a kick back and objections, it is a form of making it acceptable to marry out of your race and encouraging it. One huge melting pot of coffee coloured people everywhere. ( as the song goes )!! They do look nice sometimes, remember irish people are not the most beautiful in the world so sometimes its hit & miss, not too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Zombie thread alert.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The bang of unfettered racism off this post is very strong.

You don't happen to be a card-carrying member of Stormfront, perchance?

If you look for offence you will find it. You know what I meant. If a mixed race (1 black parent, 1 white parent) person has a child with a white person, will their child be still classed as mixed or will it be white? Who gets to definitively decide?

You call it BS. Others call it an established trend.

Example: White English people are a less than 50% of the population in London. The percentage has been decreasing for 50 years and is projected to decrease further. Nobody even bothers to deny it. But maybe I'm just a "racist" peddling a "conspiracy theory".

You only have to take a superficial look at demographic trends around the world to see this. The percentage population of non-Hispanic whites in the US is another example.

Now do I think it's a genocide? Not exactly. But I do know that no politician has ever dared ask an electorate anywhere for their opinion on demographic changes and possible policy implications.

I might know what you think meant but I know what you typed and that was pure. The opposite of pure is impure and those two words have very positive and negative connotations respectively. They should in no way be used by anyone to try and grade or classify our fellow humans.

But honestly who gives a **** what a bunch of scumbags who want to grade humans by the colour of their skin think.

Less white or more white what horrible things to worry about. If I ever hear anyone try to classify my children like that I feel it is a well justified occasion where I could consider a resort to violence in response.

I apologise if you were offended by my post. I am in no way attempting to grade anyone on a scale from "good" to "bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Try saying that to a coloured person in the Cape Flats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Well this thread resurrection has been a fun trip down memory lane

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement