Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

This is a different cab. The "cursed cab" has no chassis at all. I've a working chassis on the way from UK (€160) but a 2nd tube (and chassis for repair) from this would be no harm in case of issues with the tube colour guns.

Cheers for posting this.

Only issue here is collecting from Antrim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As a member of the middle classes

Interesting....
    I always saw the ZX Spectrum as a lower class purchase!

Doge wrote: »
    Interesting....

Oooh controversial! :)

Oooh controversial! :)

Spectrum, such a dreadful tinny thing!

COMMODORE GOOOOOORN!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Doge wrote: »
    Interesting....

Working class comrade. Even the communist block loved it, well their myriad of clones, as well as the downtrodden Brazilians, Portuguese and Spanish.

Keep the Spectrum flag flying.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was a Spectrum owner in the day.
    What a lot the developers squeezed from it too, like Tau Ceti and Stunt Car Racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This is a different cab. The "cursed cab" has no chassis at all. I've a working chassis on the way from UK (€160) but a 2nd tube (and chassis for repair) from this would be no harm in case of issues with the tube colour guns.

Cheers for posting this.

Only issue here is collecting from Antrim :D

No problem, knew someone would want this, just in case, don't see them often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Conkers Bad Fur Day cart only in Carlow Town CEX for €70

Not an absolute bargain but good price if its been on your list for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They'd look at you like you've two heads if you asked if they opened it to check.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

You could weigh it if you've a pocket scales. The original is 113g the fakes are about 90g.

I have no problem with them when i'm in there, never say no when I ask to open a cart. no fakes as of yet.

Burzum wrote: »
    I have no problem with them when i'm in there, never say no when I ask to open a cart. no fakes as of yet.

Do you open it yourself or do they?

I wouldn't think every CeX store has game bits in their inventory of tools.

I always bring my own if I know i'm going in to them, they open them and show me the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably a repro, always check any carts from CEX because they sure dont!

Indeed. Same with discs. Can't count how many times I've bought a PS2 game out of there and the disc ends up looking like it went through a grinder. I never go back with it to return it because I actually don't want to see it get resold to anyone else. I keep the case as a spare. and I f**k the disc in the bin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I watched a staff member drop a game disk on the floor, before picking it up, not even checking for damage, slipping it into the case and selling it to me.
    I did check myself, and it was fine, but what an @sshole!
    I mean, it's not coming out of his pocket if a game is too damaged to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

GDEMU preorders are opening again on Saturday if people are interested in one..

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

CeX used to charge €1 for cleaning a disc, I think this was to deter people selling in DVDs that they'd get 10c for as they were crap. Then they decided to clean discs for free to improve store buys. It's all a numbers game. They'd still reject laser burn 360 discs.

Unfortunately when a till is busy buying 50-100 DVDs it takes a lot of time and also space behind the till. They wouldn't be able to clean many discs but should use good judgement or at least the fingernail test.

There was times where a disc was cleaned before sending out but was too bad then I'd have to source a replacement or refund. Before in-store refunds on online orders was a thing we'd get a ton of media back that even Stevie Wonder could see was scratched.

When people sent orders into the office for us to buy I'd happily sit there cleaning 20-30 discs. If there wasn't too many discs I'd give them a clean for minor scratches. It's satisfying to do and always fun seeing how well they can clean up. Usually a 30 second clean, 1 minute for a good few scratches. Laser burn on 360 discs does actually come out on a 5 minute cycle.

Anytime a 360 disc came back as unreadable I'd clean it then install it to the hard drive to ensure it 100% works as just booting to the menu could still freeze an hour into the game.

The older green/black cleaning machines were fairly problematic. They'd clog with polish solution, the pads would wear quickly or the tray the disc sits on would get dirty and end up scratching the picture side. It would also throw up random errors and you'd have to Google the error code to turn off and on again and give it a slap to work. The newer blue/grey machines are much better.

Sorry for the long post over cleaning discs haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

not sure how much of a bargain it is, but a twin virtua racing cabinet for 400-600 sterling is on the go, hasn't been turned on in years, all parts complete including pcbs, apparently good condition cosmetically.

could tickle someones fancy? located in county down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ciderman! time to build that extension!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

passed the details onto optimus, so if anyones serious they can talk with him, work it out etc.. I don't get out of bed for less than 50 cabinets :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ciderman! time to build that extension!

Jaysus....

Reduced price on these arcade machines. Need to make some space for my new ones. Adverts

L1m1tless wrote: »
    Reduced price on these arcade machines. Need to make some space for my new ones. Adverts
    Wow those are amazing prices! Should probably have put them in the marketplace first though?

Also noticed the 6 bad feedbacks. Bad luck? :(

Yeah 6 bad feedbacks but I've been on adverts 10 years and sold about 1300 items. Cant please everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

tenor.gif

I was going to post an instruction, then felt it would not be fair.
    And now I have to, it's spoiling the thread and the forum, so no further posts or references to the Naomi cab or otherwise.
    Infractions, warnings, whatever you want to call it, bring it to the forum again and that's where we are going.

Have put up a hantrax monitor for free on adverts. Not working but some of the arcade experts here might fix/make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

L1m1tless wrote: »
    Have put up a hantrax monitor for free on adverts. Not working but some of the arcade experts here might fix/make use of it.
    Just what I need, I’ve a new old stock chassis there ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

x2 PS3's I've listed, just in case they're of any interest to anyone here - https://www.adverts.ie/member/94789/ads

Advertisement