Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

As some of you may know I'm number 132 for Dublin and i have been waiting for my garda vetting to go through since Tuesday (not long). When you get this far you can track the progress of the application online. I checked today and it said that the application was complete but i thought that i would see a message saying that the application has been sent to public jobs but it didn't. Is this normal?

My online tracking said it was complete, so I checked my email but there was nothing there. Then I checked in my spam folder and it was just sat there saying

Application Number : blah blah blah

The application made in respect of you has been completed and returned to Public Appointments Service.

If you have any queries, please contact Public Appointments Service at gardavetting@publicjobs.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

For those on the Dublin panel I rang just there and they are at 220

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

sierra117x wrote: »

Thanks so much, they're getting close to me ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Stephr85

sierra117x wrote: »

Aw for god sake hurry up lads I'm 222 hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RockabillySnap

So I was phoned last week and asked for contact info for one of my previous employers but I was on holidays so said I'd send it on asap. They didn't actually give me an email address or anything to send it to so I used the clearance one. Does anyone know if this is ok? I haven't got a reply from it, either now or when I emailed it in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

So I was phoned last week and asked for contact info for one of my previous employers but I was on holidays so said I'd send it on asap. They didn't actually give me an email address or anything to send it to so I used the clearance one. Does anyone know if this is ok? I haven't got a reply from it, either now or when I emailed it in the past.

I'd call them and ask if they've received it - they're very helpful any time I've called.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jsherlock1

It is almost 6 weeks since I was told regional placing would start in 6-8 weeks. I wonder how accurate that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 treasar

My previous employer has refused to give me a reference other than a statement of employment. They are saying it is against company policy to comment on individual performance. PAS is saying that this reference is essential to making me an offer. Does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 veadar100

Jsherlock1 wrote: »
    It is almost 6 weeks since I was told regional placing would start in 6-8 weeks. I wonder how accurate that was!

A couple of other posts have said end of July so here we are. My bet is another two weeks, they seemed to have slowed down on placing the Dublin batch 1. Hurry up ye Dubs your holding up the rest of us.

treasar wrote: »
    My previous employer has refused to give me a reference other than a statement of employment. They are saying it is against company policy to comment on individual performance. PAS is saying that this reference is essential to making me an offer. Does anyone have any advice?

Get that in writing from the company and give it to PAS. What did they say when you explained this to PAS? My company AND my previous employer, like most large companies do not give references either, only statement of employment. I also gave an academic reference from college though...

They haven't got to me yet so I dunno what they'll say but you're not the only one with that problem.

• Advertisement

Full Marx wrote: »
    Get that in writing from the company and give it to PAS. What did they say when you explained this to PAS? My company AND my previous employer, like most large companies do not give references either, only statement of employment. I also gave an academic reference from college though...

They haven't got to me yet so I dunno what they'll say but you're not the only one with that problem.

The employer has given PAS a statement of employment stating they don't comment on performance but PAS emailed me tonight saying the onus is on me to produce a performance reference for this employment. I've also given PAS another reference from a previous position. It's terrifying to think after all these months I might not get an offer over this.

The employer has given PAS a statement of employment stating they don't comment on performance but PAS emailed me tonight saying the onus is on me to produce a performance reference for this employment. I've also given PAS another reference from a previous position. It's terrifying to think after all these months I might not get an offer over this.
    That sounds ridiculous... I'd suggest ringing PAS and explain the situation over the phone and ask them what they think you should do. I don't see what else you can do tbh

That sounds ridiculous... I'd suggest ringing PAS and explain the situation over the phone and ask them what they think you should do. I don't see what else you can do tbh

I'll be ringing PAS first thing in the morning and trying to come up with an alternative solution. I'm not sure what will happen but I'll keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhdrum

I'll be ringing PAS first thing in the morning and trying to come up with an alternative solution. I'm not sure what will happen but I'll keep ye posted.

That is standard policy: You just need to speak to old managers or supervisors privately and ask them to take a phone call or fill out the form. The point is that they are doing so in a personal capacity rather than on behalf of the company

jhdrum wrote: »
    That is standard policy: You just need to speak to old managers or supervisors privately and ask them to take a phone call or fill out the form. The point is that they are doing so in a personal capacity rather than on behalf of the company

I rang my previous manager earlier to ask and she refused. I always had great performance reviews throughout my time there so I can't really understand the problem but there you have it.

I rang my previous manager earlier to ask and she refused. I always had great performance reviews throughout my time there so I can't really understand the problem but there you have it.

Just get a former colleague to do it then

Just get a former colleague to do it then

I'd be very surprised if he could. I know I would refuse because if the company found out you could be subject to disciplinary proceedings. The reason why so many companies refuse to give references is that they could get sued due to what they put down, so they take the easy option of not giving any.

I'd be very surprised if he could. I know I would refuse because if the company found out you could be subjec

If the colleague is taking a phone call on a personal line, where they couldn't possibly be construed as speaking on behalf of the company, there is no problem. As long as it was someone you worked closely with, familiar with your work, and perhaps might have checked over it from time to time.

If the colleague is taking a phone call on a personal line, where they couldn't possibly be construed as speaking on behalf of the company, there is no problem. As long as it was someone you worked closely with, familiar with your work, and perhaps might have checked over it from time to time.
    Then what is the point of reference if it is not on behalf of the company? Sure he could get some random friend to do it then and just bull****

Then what is the point of reference if it is not on behalf of the company? Sure he could get some random friend to do it then and just bull****

Certainly in large companies, there is no such thing as a company reference beyond a statement of the fact of your employment. Anything else beyond that is necessarily on a personal basis. Policy aside, such references are by nature subjective and therefore can only be considered personal. Perhaps some people might get a random friend though I can't imagine that would work in most cases

• Advertisement

I'd say PAS will be understanding once you actually talk to them. At least I hope so because if not I'm in a pickle too. Please do let us know what happens.

I'd say PAS will be understanding once you actually talk to them. At least I hope so because if not I'm in a pickle too. Please do let us know what happens.

I told them about the statement of employment thing but they were very insistent so I just had to find people from work in last three years. I'm not sure if they would have relented eventually, but they will certainly push very hard, so it would be a good idea to reach out to people before hand

I told them about the statement of employment thing but they were very insistent so I just had to find people from work in last three years. I'm not sure if they would have relented eventually, but they will certainly push very hard, so it would be a good idea to reach out to people before hand

I've worked in the same job for the last three years, I'm still there, and they dont give references beyond the statement. Before that I was in college, I have an excellent academic reference from there so hopefully that will do

I've worked in the same job for the last three years, I'm still there, and they dont give references beyond the statement. Before that I was in college, I have an excellent academic reference from there so hopefully that will do

Hmmm, maybe since you have there for three years it might be different

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Do you have any of the reviews in writing that you could give along with a statement of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

My Garda vetting came through today that it was returned to the Public Appointments service and that the vetting 'disclosure' had been viewed. Just waiting for the person dealing with my application to ring me tomorrow re an update about when I'm going to be placed in Dublin :) Such a long process to get here just really want to know where I'm going to be working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Stephr85

My Garda vetting came through today that it was returned to the Public Appointments service and that the vetting 'disclosure' had been viewed. Just waiting for the person dealing with my application to ring me tomorrow re an update about when I'm going to be placed in Dublin :) Such a long process to get here just really want to know where I'm going to be working. :)

Let us know what happens today if you get a call!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Barraldo

So I got placed 72nd in the Irish language stream, which is grand. However they are only taking the first 34 people. It mentions in the email that the next stage is e tray exercises and then if successful afterwards they'll be testing on the Gaeilge with a written exercise and an interview. So basically that tells me that if someone ticked the "irish language stream" box at the very beginning, they won't be tested on their Irish until they reach the 4th round of the process. Which is a complete joke!! Personally I've never made it beyond the 2nd round of testing so that's something...ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Barraldo wrote: »
    So I got placed 72nd in the Irish language stream, which is grand. However they are only taking the first 34 people. It mentions in the email that the next stage is e tray exercises and then if successful afterwards they'll be testing on the Gaeilge with a written exercise and an interview. So basically that tells me that if someone ticked the "irish language stream" box at the very beginning, they won't be tested on their Irish until they reach the 4th round of the process. Which is a complete joke!! Personally I've never made it beyond the 2nd round of testing so that's something...ah well!

It is a joke, there are definitely people who ticked that box and have no intention of doing the Irish exams, or who won't pass the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭starsx

A reference stating you worked there should be sufficient very few companies give personal references usually when pas ring your employer they just ask did you work there anyways

Advertisement