Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video launches in Ireland today. What subscription companies do you use?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Ideally, your name would be based on the fact that you're a set of hot blonde twins posting on Boards.

Your names?

Natalie and Lorraine.

Nice idea but a bit off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fran.c

At the same great prices? ;)

And I think you'll find companies like Nestle are far worse.

Hah yeah think I might stop streaming milky bars now, as a protest for equal rights for the kid.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

See have you prime music working on some device, prime isn't in Ireland as far as I'm aware, nothing to do with having U.K. addresses on an Irish account, full services aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Currently on a Prime month trail and no videos play due to geographical lock.

Am i missing something?

Any links?

EDIT: primevideo.com also locked down

Apologies for the self-promotion, but I just wrote a blog post about the launch. I was miffed at the thought of having two seperate memberships and sure enough after a quick call to their customer care, they fixed up my account. There was a problem stemming from me having an Amazon Prime account prior to the Irish launch. Two minute fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

El Inho wrote: »
    Apologies for the self-promotion, but I just wrote a blog post about the launch. I was miffed at the thought of having two seperate memberships and sure enough after a quick call to their customer care, they fixed up my account. There was a problem stemming from me having an Amazon Prime account prior to the Irish launch. Two minute fix.

What did you ask them to do exactly? Is your Prime Video subscription now separate from the main Prime one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    So you'd pay for an imaginary service that's customised to your particular preferences, but in the meantime, use the absence of such a service to justify pirating?

Typical Irish attitude. 'I'm going to do something illegal and immoral but it's totally justified because something, something, something.'
    Pretty much every study has shown peer to peer traffic falling off a cliff shortly after netflix opened up in each new market.

Interestingly studies have also shown that when a local language TV / Satellite service opens up in a country that previously could only gain access via an English language one , people have moved en masse to the local language.

Very simply most people will pay if the product is available, but will try before buy if it isn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

VinLieger wrote: »
    Piracy is immoral :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your one of these "you wouldn't download a car" crowd ill bet.
    Piracy IS immoral.

This is why ANY nation can capture and prosecute pirates under it's own laws including the death penalty including those pirates acting off-shore against third parties.

Copyright infringement is of course totally unrelated to piracy.

And yes you can download a car thanks to 3D printing.

But more importantly that Ad was a breach of copyright by copyright organisation itself who then compounded it by demanding a finders fee on the fine imposed upon them.
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/01/29/3678851.htm
    It's a bit like having somebody steal your property, you report it to the police, and after a lot a dilly-dallying, a senior police officer approaches you offering to give two-thirds of your property back to you, if you give them one third.

Anyway , is there a list of what Irish viewers can see on AP ?
    The site was very "sign up here" and listed at least one series I reckon is geo-blocked which is pretty much a no-no for reputable companies. It's a no-no for law abiding ones too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

scamalert wrote: »
    you have to be +18 for the premium stuff :D

but seriously its streaming service,a lot like torrents -so guess not legal in eyes of those you cant download a car :(

No it isn't. It's primarily a multimedia client. It has expansive plugin abilities, which means it's purposes are quite flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Guys n gals help me out here please , do i have to contact Amazon Customer support to sort out the Amazon Prime video for Irish users? signed up but getting Service Area Restriction on most content, even on series 2 of The Man in The High Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Guys n gals help me out here please , do i have to contact Amazon Customer support to sort out the Amazon Prime video for Irish users? signed up but getting Service Area Restriction on most content, even on series 2 of The Man in The High Castle.
    Yeah send them an email. I sent the same query to them Wednesday night and got a response and solution the next morning, which is an excellent turnaround.

• Advertisement

Thanks F, got an very fast response within 2 hours yesterday and Amz support sorted out account issue with amazon prime video, Seems to be my irish location that confused it. But now having gazed tru it , not sure if ill keep it beyond free trial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

What subscription type companies do you pay money to?

Depositfiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone attempt to use the app on a Samsung TV? I've previously used the UK one fine, but once I register the device I have no option to play and material. I can navigate through, but no option to play titles.

Edit: I can actually watch some episodes not not others. Very odd. Example, Grand Tour, episode 1 and 2 have no option to play.

Also, is the content really as bad as I'm seeing it? Only a few titles and Bollywood movies???

techdiver wrote: »
    Anyone attempt to use the app on a Samsung TV? I've previously used the UK one fine, but once I register the device I have no option to play and material. I can navigate through, but no option to play titles.

Edit: I can actually watch some episodes not not others. Very odd. Example, Grand Tour, episode 1 and 2 have no option to play.

Also, is the content really as bad as I'm seeing it? Only a few titles and Bollywood movies???
    Aye, tis very limited at the moment. Hoping it'll improve though. Send Amazon an email to sort out your settings for you. Lack of compatibility seems to be happening for a number of people with the Ireland service (myself included) and Amazon are aware and appear to be resolving each individual's issue pretty quickly.

Flimpson wrote: »
    Aye, tis very limited at the moment. Hoping it'll improve though. Send Amazon an email to sort out your settings for you. Lack of compatibility seems to be happening for a number of people with the Ireland service (myself included) and Amazon are aware and appear to be resolving each individual's issue pretty quickly.

Cheers,

I've actually narrowed it down to being the UHD HDR versions of episode 1 and 2 of The Grand Tour. Very odd. The 1080p version works fine.

I've emailed them already, but they are a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mr.S wrote: »
    Me and the OH share:

Spotify
    Netflix
    Prime
    VPN
    XBL
    PSN

We have basic sky tv too but really only because it was a good deal with sky fibre.

We rent the odd movie on Apple TV / YouTube but anything else that isn't covered in the above gets torrented.

Prime is probably the least used, they get some good movies before netflix but that's about it.

Netflix, for obvious reasons, is 100% worth it when you start accessing different countries content (mostly using Canadian atm)

Out of curiosity, what VPN are you using with Netflix? Mine has started getting flagged by the Netflix app and stopping me from switching. PM if you can't post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Amazon prime is pretty ****. Just about everything I tried to watch either costs more money or isn't available in Ireland.

I don't understand why they'd even list shows and films that can't be viewed in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

MJohnston wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what VPN are you using with Netflix? Mine has started getting flagged by the Netflix app and stopping me from switching. PM if you can't post it!

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

VinLieger wrote: »
    Piracy is immoral :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your one of these "you wouldn't download a car" crowd ill bet.

Of course it is. Just admit it and move on.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Amazon prime is pretty ****. Just about everything I tried to watch either costs more money or isn't available in Ireland.

I don't understand why they'd even list shows and films that can't be viewed in Ireland?

I think that's changing. But you are right. It's a bit odd for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I sign up to Prime today. Not much on it. I guess Mr. Robot & Preacher. The film section is poor, I was hoping this would be better given how poor netflix have gotten.

I sign up to Prime today. Not much on it. I guess Mr. Robot & Preacher. The film section is poor, I was hoping this would be better given how poor netflix have gotten.

I dunno. Between amazon and netflix I'm never out of stuff.

Man in high castle worth a watch. Of course there's the grand tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Not so much running out but finding stuff to watch, I like see newer films that I missed over the years, Netflix used to be good for that but there more onto their own stuff now. I do the free trail anyway.

When you sign up to the Ireland version you'll only see what you can view and it's pretty limited - an email might have to be sent to them first to tweak your settings. They say they're adding more stuff at the moment too.

It's new so has some teething problems. Not great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Spotify
    Xbox Live
    Marvel Unlimited
    WWE Network

Have my brothers account details for Netflix but rarely watch anything on it as I normally just stream my tv shows or films.

Complained to them about how disappointed about APV I was and got this nice polite mail in return.

"It seems the title is not available internationally due to restrictions by the content owner company.

I hope you understand when we make a series or specific video available to watch for free as part of the Amazon Prime instant video, as we are not the owners of the Video, we do so by first entering into an agreement with the owners and publishers of video and we have to follow their guidelines due to licensing agreement.

This is the reason we are offering free trial so that you can determine if you prefer to continue or cancel the membership at the end of free trial.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

We're constantly working to improve our catalogue to make sure that Prime members have access to the best selection of movies and TV shows possible.

I hope you understand our limitations in this regard, as we always want to provide you the best service and it wasn't our intention to disappoint you."

The more whinging and crying they get the more they might negotiate a deal with the owners ..maybe...http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

[QUOTE=BluesWeeper;102059082I hope you understand when we make a series or specific video available to watch for free as part of the Amazon Prime instant video, [/QUOTE]They've a funny definition of free.

From the looks of the prime video site, it seems they have added a lot more content.

One thing that I can't understand is the only show I can see that is 4K UHD and HDR enabled on the service is "The Grand Tour", yet in other regions, there is a lot more 4K UHD content. Man in High Castle is 4K on the UK service, but we don't get that here. That doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else found any 4K content on the Irish service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They've a funny definition of free.
    :D

Look at all the free videos you get with your monthly subscription fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Netflix
    NFL Gaempass
    Xbox Live
    Google Play Music (curious to see if YouTube Red is added to that this year)

Advertisement