Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video launches in Ireland today. What subscription companies do you use?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 4:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭

I think I'll try Amazon Prime Video for the 6 month trial at 2.99 a month. If the library is even half decent it'll be worth the €18.

What subscription type companies do you pay money to? Just Netflix and Spotify here which I think is enough. There are times between new seasons of their original shows when in fact Netflix isn't worth the money at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What subscription type companies do you pay money to?

Pfffffffffffffffffffft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Playstation Plus, Netflix and Spotify.

Though apparently, it's not cool to actually pay for any form of media these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

me_irl wrote: »

Apart from Torrenting, there's no way I'm aware of you can hack Netflix. Spotify is very hackable on Android phones it would seem but I'm not an Android user.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

None currently though I will give Amazon a try when the app appears on my tv. Currently it only appears if the tv is setup for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

Though apparently, it's not cool to actually pay for any form of media these days

Id happily pay for media services that gave me access to all the shows I want as soon as they air once anywhere in the world.

The idea that theres still many TV shows specifically from the states that are literally impossible to view online for Irish customers through any service and you need to wait several weeks if not months to view on traditional TV is ridiculous in this day and age.

If they don't consider my money important enough to compete for with a modern accessible on demand service then they don't get to have it and ill continue to pirate those shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Had Netflix back when it had pretty much the monopoly on streaming. It was excellent at the time but fell away badly from about 2014 onward and have since got shot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Netflix and Marvel Unlimited. That's all.
    Had a spotify subscription for a couple of years, but only used it once or twice a month when I thought of it. I spend most of my time listening to free podcasts anyway.

If HBO go was available here I'd be interested but no way I'd sign up for Sky/Virgin
    I've a cineworld membership too.

Might give Amazon a run at the introductory price.

Had Netflix back when it had pretty much the monopoly on streaming. It was excellent at the time but fell away badly from about 2014 onward and have since got shot of it.

Totally agree, they lost a lot of licensing deals the last few years but the amount of new original content they are pumping out makes it worth it again IMO.

The vast majority of it is also superior to anything on TV now too

VinLieger wrote: »
    Totally agree, they lost a lot of licensing deals the last few years but the amount of new original content they are pumping out makes it worth it again IMO.

The vast majority of it is also superior to anything on TV now too

The Netflix film section on the Irish version is shockingly bad. And there's no way to jump to other regions since they clamped down on it.

Not sure the Netflix Originals alone are worth it as they've only really about 5 cable television standard shows. The rest is filler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id happily pay for media services that gave me access to all the shows I want as soon as they air once anywhere in the world.

So you'd pay for an imaginary service that's customised to your particular preferences, but in the meantime, use the absence of such a service to justify pirating?

Typical Irish attitude. 'I'm going to do something illegal and immoral but it's totally justified because something, something, something.'

• Advertisement

So you'd pay for an imaginary service that's customised to your particular preferences, but in the meantime, use the absence of such a service to justify pirating?

Typical Irish attitude. 'I'm going to do something illegal and immoral but it's totally justified because something, something, something.'

Piracy is immoral :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your one of these "you wouldn't download a car" crowd ill bet.

Depends.

Under 25s won't pay for any media.

Over 25s will pay for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭techdiver

The high horse brigade didn't take long to ascend here.

The fact remains that the only people to blame for pirating are the TV companies themselves.

Take me for example. I pay the top pack for Sky, I have Netflix and Prime. Yet for example I want to start watching season 5 of arrow of season 3 of Flash and I go to Sky player to download the catch up episodes, but oh-oh, I can only watch from episode 4 onwards... What sense does that make? I know this is not Sky's fault but the fault of the distributor. The main driving force is to make sure that the episodes are missing so they can sell box sets on DVD etc when the season finishes.

The TV and movie business has been decades behind in all of this have have no one but themselves to blame. People want full video on demand and are willing to pay for it, given an appropriate price point. But we still have the scenario whereby tv and movie companies are still living in a different era and would prefer to spend millions on encryptions algorithms and infrastructure that will eventually be broken than provide a product that people want.

Also, for current streaming services, they need to up their game as regards bitrate and lossless audio codecs. Take the Sky Store for instance. They charge as much as a bluray for a digital copy of a movie which has a significantly less overhead to deliver than a disk copy. You see it in the gaming industry also, whereby xbox charges as much to download a game as they do to purchase a physical copy in a bricks and mortar store.

I for one won't lose sleep over these companies anyway as the movie business in particular is making bigger and bigger profits each year. The figures bandied about in regards to losses due to piracy are nothing more than fiction. The make the assumption that every person who downloads an illegal copy of a movie would purchase a valid copy of given no other alternative. Whilst this may be true for some, it is not so for all. For starters the price point for movies on blu ray and digital download are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nexflix, Prime, Google Music, Sky and DAZN

Then I have a usenet subscription for whatever I can't obtain legally

techdiver wrote: »
    The high horse brigade didn't take long to ascend here.

The fact remains that the only people to blame for pirating are the TV companies themselves.

Take me for example. I pay the top pack for Sky, I have Netflix and Prime. Yet for example I want to start watching season 5 of arrow of season 3 of Flash and I go to Sky player to download the catch up episodes, but oh-oh, I can only watch from episode 4 onwards... What sense does that make? I know this is not Sky's fault but the fault of the distributor. The main driving force is to make sure that the episodes are missing so they can sell box sets on DVD etc when the season finishes.

The TV and movie business has been decades behind in all of this have have no one but themselves to blame. People want full video on demand and are willing to pay for it, given an appropriate price point. But we still have the scenario whereby tv and movie companies are still living in a different era and would prefer to spend millions on encryptions algorithms and infrastructure that will eventually be broken than provide a product that people want.

Also, for current streaming services, they need to up their game as regards bitrate and lossless audio codecs. Take the Sky Store for instance. They charge as much as a bluray for a digital copy of a movie which has a significantly less overhead to deliver than a disk copy. You see it in the gaming industry also, whereby xbox charges as much to download a game as they do to purchase a physical copy in a bricks and mortar store.

I for one won't lose sleep over these companies anyway as the movie business in particular is making bigger and bigger profits each year. The figures bandied about in regards to losses due to piracy are nothing more than fiction. The make the assumption that every person who downloads an illegal copy of a movie would purchase a valid copy of given no other alternative. Whilst this may be true for some, it is not so for all. For starters the price point for movies on blu ray and digital download are ridiculous.

Spot on.

Also for anyone not aware of how farcical the the figures are that the movie and music industries quote piracy costs check out the $8 billion dollar ipod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZadCj8O1-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

MeatTwoVeg wrote:

That's a bit harsh. I think plenty of people feel that they've been priced out of the market. People stopped buying CDs because they were €25 in a shop and free and easier to steal. The music industry would be dead if it hadn't gotten with the technology. Peopole are willing to pay €0.99 for a song on iTunes or subscribe to Spotify. They could have continued to raise prices to make up for loss in sales like Sky appear to be doing but you can only do that for so long.

Plenty of people out there want to watch Game of Thrones, but don't give a sh*t about 99.9999% of the other dross on Sky. If HBO could charge consumers directly $1-2 per episode nobody would pirate it. Instead you're forced to subsidise all the other muck, 24 hours of straight Big Bang Theory on Comedy Central or Uzbekistan's Next Top Pawn Star on Living for a minimum of €30 per month.
    God bless you if you want to subscribe to sports packages. I think they're another €50 a month.

I'm happy to pay €10 per month for Netflix, but if it was €15 I'd find another way to watch what BoJack is up to.

jester77 wrote: »
    Nexflix, Prime, Google Music, Sky and DAZN

Then I have a usenet subscription for whatever I can't obtain legally

You pay a sub to a site that helps you download illegally? ;)

Also, is it Amazon Prime Video you have? Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I have 3 websites for my movies & series streaming & all free so no need to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Haven't have Netflix since it launched here. Is it still the case that the Irish version is severely lacking in content and **cough** getting the US version **cough** is still necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Netflix
    Xbox Live
    Spotify
    VPN account
    Dexter IPTV for Kodi
    Oh and my sky I suppose but I thought you meant online

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Haven't have Netflix since it launched here. Is it still the case that the Irish version is severely lacking in content and **cough** getting the US version **cough** is still necessary?

Yes an all VPNs that I know of are completely blocked.

As I understand it Boards also prohibits posts that suggest ones that do work.

Why I don't know?

Agricola wrote: »

Compared to the US version yes but even that has taken a hit. I would argue though that their new original content has made up for drop off in the TV show catalogue. Their movie catalogue is still woeful in Ireland and id say only a tiny bit better in the states.

On accessing the US version its gotten a lot harder to do, even if you do find a vpn that works to get into it it will likely get spotted and blocked very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have Sky and BT Sport and Google Play Music and I'm a stupid bastard

If I want to watch Luch Energyia Vladivostok I have to stream their matches illegally

I can illegally stream three episodes of the shows I watch in 1080p in the time it takes to download one on Sky boxsets. In SD!

If I want to hear the obituaries on Highland I get them through tunein radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like Netflix. I got Amazon prime free trial there as well and it was handy for the one day delivery but never watched any videos or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You pay a sub to a site that helps you download illegally? ;)

Also, is it Amazon Prime Video you have? Any use?

I would gladly pay to get stuff legally but unfortunately that is not possible. Torrents are a no go where I live as it's a guaranteed fine, so it's either pay for a VPN to torrent or usenet.

As for Prime Video, it was rubbish about a year ago and I only had it initially for their next day shipping. But it is actually pretty decent now, some good shows on there if you can find them. That it their main issue, their interface is a disaster, but they are rolling out a massive UI update at the moment. Hopefully it improves on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I have;

Netflix
    Google Play
    Then I also have NTL with Sky Sports and movies. I share with 3 other people so for the money we save by having sports (and not going to the pub for games) it's worth it. And then the movies is just a tenner extra a month on top of that - easily worth it too.

I was scrolling through Netflix for a movie just last night and they don't have a great selection at the moment. They could do with getting a lot more. Their documentaries and series selection is excellent, particularly all their self made stuff, but I'm questioning the subscription at the moment.

Think that's all I'm subscribed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

That's a bit harsh. I think plenty of people feel that they've been priced out of the market. People stopped buying CDs because they were €25 in a shop and free and easier to steal. The music industry would be dead if it hadn't gotten with the technology. Peopole are willing to pay €0.99 for a song on iTunes or subscribe to Spotify. They could have continued to raise prices to make up for loss in sales like Sky appear to be doing but you can only do that for so long.

Plenty of people out there want to watch Game of Thrones, but don't give a sh*t about 99.9999% of the other dross on Sky. If HBO could charge consumers directly $1-2 per episode nobody would pirate it. Instead you're forced to subsidise all the other muck, 24 hours of straight Big Bang Theory on Comedy Central or Uzbekistan's Next Top Pawn Star on Living for a minimum of €30 per month.
    God bless you if you want to subscribe to sports packages. I think they're another €50 a month.

I'm happy to pay €10 per month for Netflix, but if it was €15 I'd find another way to watch what BoJack is up to.

Ah here. Firstly nobody would pirate GoT if it was $1-2 dollars per episode? People would pirate it if it was that price for a series! The price directly affects the numbers who'll pay for it and who'll download it. If it was cheap most would be willing to pay (like people being willing to pay for Netflix since it's reasonable). If it's expensive like a box set more people will get it illegally.

blue note wrote: »
    Ah here. Firstly nobody would pirate GoT if it was $1-2 dollars per episode? People would pirate it if it was that price for a series! The price directly affects the numbers who'll pay for it and who'll download it. If it was cheap most would be willing to pay (like people being willing to pay for Netflix since it's reasonable). If it's expensive like a box set more people will get it illegally.

Study after study of people who torrent has shown if there was an easy and reasonable priced way to access content the vast majority would pay for it, yes there will always be piracy but the solution is to simply offer the same quality of service piracy does for a reasonable price, trying to fight it is a fools errand as there will always be people ready to develop a new piece of tech or software so you will forever be one step behind.

Pirate bay got "shut down" and everyone went to Kat, Kat got shutdown so onto the next one, hilariously many just went back to the many many available pirate bay proxies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I pay my TV license every year, that covers everything in my eyes. No TV subscription with any company.

Kodi is the best with raspberry pi 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Currently on a Prime month trail and no videos play due to geographical lock.

Am i missing something?

Any links?

EDIT: primevideo.com also locked down

Advertisement