Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeropress.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

mossym wrote: »
    coffee station where i worked was the same in the morning/early afternoons, it serviced hundred or so people with one hot water point, one sink. you wouldn't get two minutes before you'd be getting coughs behind you

the big advantage of the oomph there would be the sealed lid, we had a rule against carrying hot liquids without a lid, which we had to break for any decent coffee into a mug unless you made a french press and carried back to your desk. the oomph can be made, carried back with the lid on, and put into a mug at your desk. much less chance of spills

Fair enough on the wait being a bit long so.

The keepcup is he business for a sealed cup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The keepcup is he business for a sealed cup

but but but..how do i use my handmade worlds best dad mug then :)

i like the idea of the keepcup alright, i've not tried one, my only fear is that i've not found any of those travel type mugs i didn't think added a plasticy taste to the coffee.

actually, the oomph can be drank directly from, i must give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

I second the keepcup. Didn't even know they existed til I got one as a Xmas present. Definitely found a plasticy taste from travel mugs but my keepcup is glass and much better. Stylish looking too :cool:

renov8 wrote: »
    I second the keepcup. Didn't even know they existed til I got one as a Xmas present. Definitely found a plasticy taste from travel mugs but my keepcup is glass and much better. Stylish looking too :cool:

Some of them are glass.

Others like mine are plastic and there is no plastic taste off of it unlike other travel mugs.

As far as I know they get input from baristas when they designed it on he materials, the form factor etc...

Mines a couple of years old now and a bit tired so I'm actually on the hunt for a new one. Might go glass this time for a change.

renov8 wrote: »

ah, glass, will have to give one a shot so.

stylish not so important here, my mug has a handwritten message from my daughter when she was three(had help obviously), so it's not exactly a fashion statement!!

• Advertisement

here's another video, from the makers admittedly, showing the cleaning process. none of the gunk your video talks about

he obviosuly says to plunge again to remove the water, which your video says is still in there, so i'd say he's not doing it right.

i was very sceptical about the claims in the video i posted, as i had a fellow steeper in the past, which made lovely coffee, but was a pain in the a$$ to clean. bad enough that it was a chore to use it. so given i got the aeropress and the oomph in the one week, if the oomph had been significantly harder to clean i'd have stuck with the aeropress. however, i've had one for 3 weeks,my experience was pretty much exactly what he said in the video, after the second plunge, tapping the grind into the bin gets rid of pretty much everything, quick splash of water to rinse it out, then flush through with water and it's done. bit longer than an aeropress, but nothing significant.

a bit more work than the aeropress alright in fairness tho.
    Also the oomph does use quite a lot of coffee - 25g here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdocrszZIlQ
    I thought that the aeropress was bad enough at 14g.

glasso wrote: »
    a bit more work than the aeropress alright in fairness tho.
    Also the oomph does use quite a lot of coffee - 25g here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdocrszZIlQ
    I thought that the aeropress was bad enough at 14g.

that's for a full brew,which is ~2x what you get from an aeropress.

i could kind of understand the negativity towards a product you've never used if people were slamming your aeropress, but no-one is. it makes similar standard but different flavour coffee, with advantages in some scenarios. i'd be the first to add it to the pile of coffee making methods i've bought and not liked if i wasn't happy with it, but it's very good.

but i get it. you don't like it.

that's for a full brew,which is ~2x what you get from an aeropress.

i could kind of understand the negativity towards a product you've never used if people were slamming your aeropress, but no-one is. it makes similar standard but different flavour coffee, with advantages in some scenarios. i'd be the first to add it to the pile of coffee making methods i've bought and not liked if i wasn't happy with it, but it's very good.

but i get it. you don't like it.

I see the appeal of it. I'm pointing out some differences - they happen to be downsides. The upside is the fact that you fill and go - I get that.
    Did you ever think that maybe you are being overly bullish about it because you own one! (common post-buyer behaviour)
    How is the flavour different to the aeropress - can you describe it?

glasso wrote: »
    I see the appeal of it. I'm pointing out some differences - they happen to be downsides. The upside is the fact that you fill and go - I get that.
    Did you ever think that maybe you are being overly bullish about it because you own one! (common post-buyer behaviour)

i'd have no issue if you owned one and were speaking from experience. thing is you're pulling bits of misinformation from everywhere and pushing them as negatives. if they were accurate, and a negative, i'd have no problem agreeing.

believe me, there is no overbullishness here. i'm way in deficit in coffee methods I've bought and instantly not liked, and i've no problem putting my hand up saying they were rubbish (for me) and i was wrong to buy them. so by the same token when i find one that works well i'm happy to say so. in another thread i said anyone with an aeropress probably wouldn't benefit from buying one unless they had specific needs like the ones already addressed. i've never claimed it was better than an aeropress, i was lucky enough to get both in one week and got to try them both together, and i love them both.

Did YOU ever this that maybe you just bought an aeropress and need to be reassured you bought the best solution, so need to slate everything else, again, common post buyer behaviour?

i wouldn't even argue with you if you said an aeropress was better, it might well be. but if you're going to point out differences, at least make them accurate. it's the inaccuracies are the problem.

oh god.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Rocket Appartamento........wanted to but didn't buy :)

Technivorm Moccamaster.........been giving it serious scrutiny over the last few months, might.........

Got my Gaggia Classic still running at home but heat up time, temp surfing etc etc.......slow enough. Slow enough to the degree that I started using my French Cafetiere for a quick straight black.

Work, Aeropress workhorse produces the simplest, flavourful decent straight black.

Might buy one for home, cheapest, fastest perfect cuppa. Grinding from a Rancilio Rocky.
    Only brew at home at the weekend, 'er indoors rarely drinks coffee. What's the point in shelling out a few grand to get a straight black?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Came on here looking for coffee recommendations for my husbands Christmas basket but am now leaning towards getting an aeropress.

I can do my own research later when not toddler wrestling! But from experience Can you tell me if they tend to do a nicer cup than a French press. Also are they fiddly - suitable for the morning rush to work?

With an Aeropress, you'll get a "cleaner" cup of coffee compared to a French P. The paper filter looks after the "heavy sediment", whilst a French P will let it through.

In a rush......just boil a kettle, let cool for about a minute, pour over coffee grounds in AeroP (inverted method, very popular). Press.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I find I have to press *really* hard to get the plunger down on my AP.

I don't think I'm using too much coffee, and it's pre-ground.

Any ideas?

It'll probably be too fine.
    Just check that you're only putting one filter paper in, I know it sounds silly, but it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Brego888

Only getting into coffee and keen to try an aeropress. Any recommendations of what coffee is compatible and where to pick some up?

Try Lavazza Rosa (I think it's called). Decent enough to start with.

Try Lavazza Rossa (I think it's called). Decent enough. Any Tesco or Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What are peoples measurements for cappuccinos? I note it says fill up water to 1-1.5. I find the coffee isn't that large then though, basically would be looking for the equivalent size of a large coffee from a shop. Would two scoops of coffee and fill up water to 3 be enough?

What are peoples measurements for cappuccinos? I note it says fill up water to 1-1.5. I find the coffee isn't that large then though, basically would be looking for the equivalent size of a large coffee from a shop. Would two scoops of coffee and fill up water to 3 be enough?

Two of the Aeropress plastic scoops?

Thats approx 36g of coffee.

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    Only getting into coffee and keen to try an aeropress. Any recommendations of what coffee is compatible and where to pick some up?

To be honest 99% of the supermarket coffee is usable, like the lavazza for example but you have a chance to make a really nice cup of coffee with the Aeropress with very little effort by just buying fresh beans from any decent coffee shop and ideally grinding as you go, even a cheap hand grinder would do, or getting the shop to do it for you.

Yes lavazza etc is cheaper but freshly roasted beans, ground as you go is worlds apart from supermarket beans/ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

Planet X wrote: »
    Just got my second Aeropress, first one.....worn out :)
    Not daily but Mon to Fri use in work. Inside, from grounds I suppose, feels like sandpaper. Starting to leak occasionally when I invert.
    No complaints.
    Great system.
    Lasted maybe.....two years?

Have you seen the new Aeropress Go? I'd recommend! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hwYVboAVQ

Advertisement