Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeropress.....

Options
  • 14-12-2016 11:49am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got my second Aeropress, first one.....worn out :)
    Not daily but Mon to Fri use in work. Inside, from grounds I suppose, feels like sandpaper. Starting to leak occasionally when I invert.
    No complaints.
    Great system.
    Lasted maybe.....two years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Melodeon

A replacement Rubber Plunger will get another year or so out of it:
    https://shop.3fe.com/product/aeropress-rubber-plunger-end

The cylinders do wear out though, so the whole thing will need replacing eventually.
    Anyway, an entire new Aeropress isn't terribly expensive one way or the other, especially if you tot up the cost of the coffee that has gone through it to wear it out! :D

I reckon I put over €700 'worth' of coffee through mine before I replaced it :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Oh, it's just the inner tube.
    Replaced the rubber stopper last year sometime.

Just got it this morning with my 2 1/2 kilo B & D Christmas coffee supply.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Planet X wrote: »
    <snip> ...with my 2 1/2 kilo B & D Christmas coffee supply.
    :)
    SNAP!
    (almost)

My Christmas stockpile is 2 1/2 kilos of assorted microlots from Bailies, 3fe, and Has Bean. :D

In early!!!!
    Critical...... groceries will sort themselves out :):)

Same coffee. Presses better....easier. Tastes better.... :) how???
    Mind games.
    Placebo effect lol......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

I just ordered an aeropress for use in work after hearing so many good things. (There is only instant available at work :( )

Anyhoo, I have a Gaggia classic at home with an MDF grinder. Just wondering if anyone else uses an MDF grinder for their aeropress and if so what grind setting would they recommend..

Cheers,

~LTD.

I use the same setting for my Gaggia Classic and Aeropress.

I use the same setting for my Gaggia Classic and Aeropress.

I thought espresso grind would be too fine for it?
    I thought it was supposed to be somewhere between espresso and French press....

~LTD.

It might be too fine for the ap but it works ok for me.
    Also, don't want to be adjusting my grinder setting :), the flow is really good from my Gaggia. Was surprised by minor adjustments to grind and water temps. Never really believed it but it is all important.
    I'm in too deep now :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have had a variety of coffee making methods over the years, mainly french press, but also a stovetop, a bean to cup machine, a lavazza pod machine, a nespresso machine, a fellow steeper (http://fellowproducts.com/shop/duo/) and a few more, but finally got a gift of an aeropress , my first, from secret santa this year, and i wondered why i waited to long, first few cups have been superb, really enjoying it, i am converted.

ironic thing is, the same day i got it this arrived, the oomph, https://the-oomph.com/
    header-product-new.png

had backed it when it first came up on kickstarter, very similar in theory to an aeropress but designed to be more portable, haven't tried it yet as i was playing with the aeropress, but very much looking forward to giving it a go

• Advertisement

Well the aeropress arrived the other day and I've used it a couple of times in work and so far I am delighted with it.

I dialed down the grind on the MDF grinder a couple of notches below where it sits for espresso and I have to say the resulting cup is a great 'americano'.

It's a much cleaner cup than a french press and the whole process with the aeropress is quick and easy.

~LTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What number on the MDF are you using for it?

What number on the MDF are you using for it?

Hi,

I believe I used 9 for the aeropress grind.

I usually use a 6 for my espresso.

~LTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Need to buy a second aeropress.

Where's the cheapest in town to get one at the moment does anyone know.

I think I got the last one on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Need to buy a second aeropress.

Where's the cheapest in town to get one at the moment does anyone know.

I think I got the last one on Amazon

Argos sell them.
    There's also Coffeeangel and 3fe probably sell them too.
    Amazon is probably going to be the cheapest though.

Argos sell them.
    There's also Coffeeangel and 3fe probably sell them too.
    Amazon is probably going to be the cheapest though.

For anyone else looking...

€36 in Argos ( on sale from €40 seemingly )

€34.50 in Vice on Liffey street.

It is cheaper on Amazon around the £26 sterling mark but for the difference of a few quid I grabbed it in Vice.

Badger & Dodo. €32.50, but I got it with coffee. Free postage over 50.

Actually...... You should buy some coffee with it and get free p & p.
    Good company.

Good company.

https://www.bailiescoffee.com/products/aerobie-aeropress-coffee-maker

2.99 postage I think so 25 pounds in total. 50p more than amazon
    (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Coffee-Tea-Espresso/Aerobie-AeroPress-80R11-Maker/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483549355&sr=1-1&keywords=aeropress)

but you'll get it quicker as it comes from the north. got the one that I ordered for a gift in 2 days just before christmas.
    and no dealing with the amazon 25 pound limit for free delivery.

• Advertisement

Good company.

Badger and dodo are a decent alright.

To be honest I would have gone Amazon only I couldn't be bothered waiting the few days. I know I should have waited but hey I needed good coffee in the office quick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Santa brought me one of these and I love it so far. Lovely coffee out of it. I was given a few bags of coffee with it and the first couple have been lovely but I think that's down to following a few online videos of how to get the best out of the aeropress aswell.

Have dropped a few hints that the oomph would be a nice compliment to the aeropress to allow for a nice coffee in work (after I spotted it in another thread here!).

SeaFields wrote: »

Have dropped a few hints that the oomph would be a nice compliment to the aeropress to allow for a nice coffee in work (after I spotted it in another thread here!).

But you just got an aeropress?

Sure it's absolutely perfect for work along with a keepcup which is my exact set up as of a couple of days ago.

that oomph thing looks awkward to clean - you end up with a coffee/water mixture which is not the best for pouring down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

But you just got an aeropress?

Sure it's absolutely perfect for work along with a keepcup which is my exact set up as of a couple of days ago.

Small canteen and the morning rush means you just get enough time to fill your cup before someone is shuffling you along! The aeropress is great in my kitchen but I would require something a bit more contained in work.

glasso wrote: »
    that oomph thing looks awkward to clean - you end up with a coffee/water mixture which is not the best for pouring down the sink.

No you don't. You end up forcing air through the grind as you finish the plunge, the same as an aeropress so the grinds are dried, they all fall out once turned over. It is nothing like the mush you get in a French press. It's cleaned in seconds. That's based on having one rather than what it looks like

I think it's ideal for busy offices. I have an aeropress and an oomph and I think the oomph will work better in an office

mossym wrote: »
    No you don't. You end up forcing air through the grind as you finish the plunge, the same as an aeropress so the grinds are dried, they all fall out once turned over. It is nothing like the mush you get in a French press. It's cleaned in seconds. That's based on having one rather than what it looks like

I think it's ideal for busy offices. I have an aeropress and an oomph and I think the oomph will work better in an office

going on this review (linked to the time it's mentioned)

https://youtu.be/qjKPhi2B34I?t=368

maybe he's doing it wrong then

SeaFields wrote: »
    Small canteen and the morning rush means you just get enough time to fill your cup before someone is shuffling you along! The aeropress is great in my kitchen but I would require something a bit more contained in work.

Jaysus it must be busy. I'm lucky I suppose canteen never too busy but that said I can make a cup of aeropress in 2 minutes flat which is probably about the same time it takes someone to make a cup of tea or coffee with instant muck.

glasso wrote: »
    going on this review (linked to the time it's mentioned)

https://youtu.be/qjKPhi2B34I?t=368

maybe he's doing it wrong then

here's another video, from the makers admittedly, showing the cleaning process. none of the gunk your video talks about

he obviosuly says to plunge again to remove the water, which your video says is still in there, so i'd say he's not doing it right.

i was very sceptical about the claims in the video i posted, as i had a fellow steeper in the past, which made lovely coffee, but was a pain in the a$$ to clean. bad enough that it was a chore to use it. so given i got the aeropress and the oomph in the one week, if the oomph had been significantly harder to clean i'd have stuck with the aeropress. however, i've had one for 3 weeks,my experience was pretty much exactly what he said in the video, after the second plunge, tapping the grind into the bin gets rid of pretty much everything, quick splash of water to rinse it out, then flush through with water and it's done. bit longer than an aeropress, but nothing significant.

• Advertisement

Jaysus it must be busy. I'm lucky I suppose canteen never too busy but that said I can make a cup of aeropress in 2 minutes flat which is probably about the same time it takes someone to make a cup of tea or coffee with instant muck.

coffee station where i worked was the same in the morning/early afternoons, it serviced hundred or so people with one hot water point, one sink. you wouldn't get two minutes before you'd be getting coughs behind you

the big advantage of the oomph there would be the sealed lid, we had a rule against carrying hot liquids without a lid, which we had to break for any decent coffee into a mug unless you made a french press and carried back to your desk. the oomph can be made, carried back with the lid on, and put into a mug at your desk. much less chance of spills

Advertisement