Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Candie wrote: »

Great, thanks!

Now off I go to build a stone shed to add some masculine balance to my new found femininity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Irish girls have gone crazy on make up brows the lasy year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Pac1Man wrote: »
    On a serious note, can anyone recommend a bottle or a tub of moisturiser that doesn't cost the earth and doesn't smell like perfume?

As a former glasses wearer, the skin around my nose and under my eyes can become incredibly dry and red at times.

What is the Toyota Corolla of the moisturiser world?

Depends on your skin type TBH. What is amazing on me could be the biggest waste of money for you. Pm me if you need help choosing one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Great, thanks!

Now off I go to build a stone shed to add some masculine balance to my new found femininity.
    Clinique does fantastic perfume-free men's moisturiser for dry/sensitive skin too. It's pricier than Simple but it does have manlier (grey and black) packaging to be fair.

Oh now the worst thing you can do is give me choice!

There couldn't be that much difference is there? Just looking to keep the dryness away, not look fabulous. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

If I had to smile I could have given myself veneers though. Can only channel one farm animal at a time, duck or horse. Girl can't be both.

Funny you mention being a girl there, maybe try that instead of resembling a farm animal

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Funny you mention being a girl there, maybe try that instead of resembling a farm animal

I dream big. I can be whatever I set my mind to be. 👄👄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Clementine Early Nozzle

Yeh the whole blogger thing is a weird concept to me. I don't get it at all.

I know there's some girl called Sue who ended up with "her own" make up line and it turned out that loads of the bloggers have the exact same shyte make up from China just branded as their own. Why the Fcuk would anyone buy that?

I don't get it at all at all.

Oh and I'd never heard of Facetune until this thread but I know there's a make up place in Dublin that do "Instagram makeup" which is "extreme contouring for selfies".

That's so fcuked up.

Seems everyday theres some half decent looking woman setting up a blog/facebook page/Instagram trying to do this....seems to gone to overkill just them posing with a new makeup/dress...seems a vanity project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's just another form of paid advertising really.

Just that influencers are generally very sneaky about it and are less upfront about the payment, and try to pass it off as natural.

Mad ted, you'd think anyone who describes themselves as an influencer (and some indeed do, right in their blog byline) wouldn't be brazen enough to pass it off as natural.

I read a popular crafting and lifestyle blog and she is honest about the posts that are sponsored. But she wasn't always and didn't always disclose. It came after she kept writing about a particular hotel in suspiciously great detail and kept referencing their name multiple times in the post, a sure sign of advertising. I didn't contact her asking if she was paid, but I think other readers must have done because she then came out with a statement that said she would inform her readers of paid featured. I don't know what prompted her to do this but I suspect she got complaints about the lack of transparency. I like the blog so I still read it.

You appear to be channelling kitty cat yourself.

• Advertisement

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    You appear to be channelling kitty cat yourself.

I really didn't intend to, it's just, the duckface......whhhhyyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It seems they found a career for the popular kids in school that doesn't involve getting pregnant or going on the dole.

These people target teenagers because teenagers are weak willed and will do whatever they see popular kids doing as a means to fit in. The internet has truly been ruined by popularity. Once it was the reserve of the nerd now it's been hijacked by the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's a load of sh!te is what it is.

Anyway, Pacman, Nivea Q10 for men, trust me. : D

If you saw the whole pic, it was making fun of duckface - but, anything that can get such a reaction is funny enough for me. Calling me out for duck face or filters or facetuning doesn't make me feel bad or put me off doing it in future photos, quite the opposite!

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's a load of sh!te is what it is.

Anyway, Pacman, Nivea Q10 for men, trust me. : D

You have similar issues as me?

Would it be better than the Simple one? I don't get these 'for men' tags a few of them have. Do they just have a picture of a car on the bottle or something?

I need to be sure because it's a section of the isle that I would prefer not to linger in to be honest and the last time I ventured in, I accidently ended up with a humungous bottle of perfumed body lotion.

Ideally I would like to locate the moisturiser section by the time I reach the toilet rolls, identify the target by the time I'm at the razors and then swoop in and grab said target without breaking stride. Maybe just a drop of the knee on the way past to reach the lower shelf if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, it's non shiny and unsmelly. Order it online :)

I think Lexie was just demonstrating how it works. :) Could be wrong though.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It seems they found a career for the popular kids in school that doesn't involve getting pregnant or going on the dole.

These people target teenagers because teenagers are weak willed and will do whatever they see popular kids doing as a means to fit in. The internet has truly been ruined by popularity. Once it was the reserve of the nerd now it's been hijacked by the plebs.

What an odd post.

If you saw the whole pic, it was making fun of duckface - but, anything that can get such a reaction is funny enough for me. Calling me out for duck face or filters or facetuning doesn't make me feel bad or put me off doing it in future photos, quite the opposite!

Go away outa that, seen enough of your pics on this site to know you're a duckfacer!

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    What an odd post.
    Well it's true, for the most part they target teenagers, most children are easy marks for advertising agencies.

Now that's not to say I don't use youtube videos extensively myself when I want information on new products but I've ended up on makeup videos where it's a girl going through a bag of stuff saying it's great, every day, there's no way she can be forming a valid opinion from looking at the packaging and rubbing a bit on the back of her hand.

I'm suspicious of the makeup industry anyway. It wouldn't surprise me to find out there's only 15 products in the makeup industry and they just put them in different bottles and set different prices depending on the customer. There's just too much stuff doing the exact same thing, it's marketing over product usefulness, it's about getting the packaging right, god knows what's actually in the product and if it's actually worth more than the Lidl brand one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's mad. Especially with the Irish influencer scene where the pond is so small so you literally see the same product/shop popping up every single day on various platforms. For me and a lot of people I know, we are wide to it and can see the wood for the trees. But for impressionable teens, I can't help but think it can be quite damaging. I mean the frequency which bloggers recieve all of these freebies is insane, and so the younger followers feel like they need to have all 47 nude matte lipsticks or whatever happens to be flavour of the month at that time. I know of people who are in debt trying to keep up with this completely unattainable lifestyle. Bloggers, or "floggers", need to keep in mind that while they are getting all of these nice freebies, young people are spending cash they don't have to get these products, and so maybe they shouldn't jump on every single bandwagon just to earn a quick buck. Like Spider-Man says, "with great power comes great responsibility".

Also, there's no variety. I mean they all seem to live in their whitewashed houses with the black and white ikea carpet and ikea drawers with their dressing rooms adorned with prints of inspirational quotes and a Jo Malone candle burning. It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are their social media followers that brain dead that dont see that these people they follow are being paid for this nonsense?
    Worth of mouth is the strongest marketing tool out there. People value the uneducated opinion of a trusted friend above hard data or expert opinion.

It's how complete bollox like homeopathy and scientology get a foothold.

Facebook and social media in general has opened up a whole new avenue in bolloxology. A friend of yours "likes" an article by one of these bloggers, which leads you to look at it and see what it is that they've liked.
    You're not sure if it's any good, but your mate liked it, so you trust it on face value. And you like it. And the chain of likes carries on.

But even further than that again, social media adds an inherently personal aspect to blogs. When David McWilliams writes a column in a paper, many people read it and trust because he has a reputation for it. But it's a national column in a national newspaper; a preach from a pulpit. And treated with that level of analysis.

But when Roz Purcell posts an article or a video to facebook, it takes on a much more personal aspect. It's direct to you, and her name is above it - not "The Irish Times presents", or anything. So it innately feels like a more personal discussion and less of a town square preach. And you therefore assign a higher trustworthiness rating to it.

It doesn't matter whether or not she has the slightest clue about what she's talking about; you've been tricked by social media into thinking that this is a friend giving you honest tips with no motive intended.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

anna080 wrote: »
    It's mad. Especially with the Irish influencer scene where the pond is so small so you literally see the same product/shop popping up every single day on various platforms. For me and a lot of people I know, we are wide to it and can see the wood for the trees. But for impressionable teens, I can't help but think it can be quite damaging. I mean the frequency which bloggers recieve all of these freebies is insane, and so the younger followers feel like they need to have all 47 nude matte lipsticks or whatever happens to be flavour of the month at that time. I know of people who are in debt trying to keep up with this completely unattainable lifestyle. Bloggers, or "floggers", need to keep in mind that while they are getting all of these nice freebies, young people are spending cash they don't have to get these products, and so maybe they shouldn't jump on every single bandwagon just to earn a quick buck. Like Spider-Man says, "with great power comes great responsibility".

Also, there's no variety. I mean they all seem to live in their whitewashed houses with the black and white ikea carpet and ikea drawers with their dressing rooms adorned with prints of inspirational quotes and a Jo Malone candle burning. It's boring.

Harsh and all as this may sound, but the fact that people are parting with their money to that extent means that the marketing strategy is working an absolute treat. This business model cares little for the consumer and will never start dialling back as that might mean less profits. I don't agree with those kind of cutthroat sales tactics personally (especially when aimed at a young audience), but as long as it remains profitable then it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

anna080 wrote: »

So accurate .Especially the Jo Malone candle reference! Cloned bloggers

mzungu wrote: »
    Harsh and all as this may sound, but the fact that people are parting with their money to that extent means that the marketing strategy is working an absolute treat. This business model cares little for the consumer and will never start dialling back as that might mean less profits. I don't agree with those kind of cutthroat sales tactics personally (especially when aimed at a young audience), but as long as it remains profitable then it will continue.
    Advertising in the UK is particularly aggressive, I've seen the hard sell over in London so many times, like getting angry at people for not wanting to buy stuff. Advertising is everywhere and even when they pull on the ol' heart strings they're doing it to an extreme these days.

I think it would be hard to see the forest for all the trees over there. They love their celebrities too, it's almost odd how caught up they get in it and everytime they go to see one of their celebrities they're always being sold something.

I've gone to exhibitions in London that are huge, there are all sorts of stories about them racking up bills of tens of thousands in taxis, drinks and food and getting away with it because they're such a draw, I never go to see the celebrities, they're whisked in to their demonstration and whisked out again when their done. When I was at the ploughing championships in Ireland I saw 3 Irish celebrities within 5 minutes of walking in the gate, no one paying any attention to them, one of them was an international renowned one.

I'd hate to think Ireland would end up in the same state as the UK. There's something very bland and disingenuous about the UK high street, it's all chains, marketing, pseudo rapport, and promoting looks and style over knowledge and practicality.

A city like London is so big that it has an undercurrent that rejects all those ideals of corporate London, and when they do craft it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Is there anything influential about top "bloggers" (one would assume they "write" as part of their profession) who don't bother to write as part of their blog anymore in favour of a string of emojis as a method of describing a product/service? Worse still, when they did/do write,they can't even spell, edit their posts, use the correct grammar,etc. Leading fashion/beauty blogger being the worst offender . Influencer? Certainly not on any academic spectrum of the blogging world. "your creative writing techniques iz goalz" will hardly appear from a fan under any of their blog posts!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

ScumLord wrote: »
    Advertising in the UK is particularly aggressive, I've seen the hard sell over in London so many times, like getting angry at people for not wanting to buy stuff. Advertising is everywhere and even when they pull on the ol' heart strings they're doing it to an extreme these days.

I think it would be hard to see the forest for all the trees over there. They love their celebrities too, it's almost odd how caught up they get in it and everytime they go to see one of their celebrities they're always being sold something.

I've gone to exhibitions in London that are huge, there are all sorts of stories about them racking up bills of tens of thousands in taxis, drinks and food and getting away with it because they're such a draw, I never go to see the celebrities, they're whisked in to their demonstration and whisked out again when their done. When I was at the ploughing championships in Ireland I saw 3 Irish celebrities within 5 minutes of walking in the gate, no one paying any attention to them, one of them was an international renowned one.

I'd hate to think Ireland would end up in the same state as the UK. There's something very bland and disingenuous about the UK high street, it's all chains, marketing, pseudo rapport, and promoting looks and style over knowledge and practicality.

A city like London is so big that it has an undercurrent that rejects all those ideals of corporate London, and when they do craft it's excellent.
    That kind of aggression in sales (harassment, coercion and undue influence etc) is unlawful in the eyes of UK consumer rights guidelines. Although, I doubt many people report it, and even if they do, it must be pretty difficult to prove.

Having that kind of thing becoming commonplace would be a bad development, it would be like chugging amped up by 11.

mzungu wrote: »
    That kind of aggression in sales (harassment, coercion and undue influence etc) is unlawful in the eyes of UK consumer rights guidelines. Although, I doubt many people report it, and even if they do, it must be pretty difficult to prove.
    To be fair to the people that do it, they're probably under huge pressure to perform and there isn't much room for failure in the city of London, one slip could see you pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It harmless as long as its not taken too seriously, its possible a way for those who want careers in PR, media, marketing ect to make a name for themselves

• Advertisement
Advertisement