Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fate of the Furious

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Enjoyed it. Not the most intelligent film or anything, but it's just fun and the cast have excellent chemistry between them. Statham is an excellent addition to the group too, himself and The Rock trading insults was excellent, and if he's going to be Paul Walker's replacement going forward, it'd be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Went to see this on Wednesday night. I enjoyed it for what it is. Agree that Statham is a good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Saw this last night, i don't feel like i wasted time or money so that's good. Quite enjoyed it, did throw my eyes up a little in places but i do struggle with suspending ALL the logic. Worth seeing though. Also agree on Statham, most enjoyable sequence for me was a particular section of "dialogue" exchange with another character (anyone who has seen it will know who i mean)

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 33,315 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Enjoyed it, but not as good as the last few. The Rock and Statham were great and Charlize Theron was quite good too.

However,
    no way is that child Dom's. Can't see how the time works out considering the age of Brian's kid in F&F7. Plus, she was working with The Rock during what would have been her pregnancy, which means there's no way he wouldn't have known she was pregnant and was with Dom at the time and that Dom would be the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this tonight and I really enjoyed it. A lot better than numero 7. The rock was very good but jaolson statham was brilliant. His scenes especially with a younger cast member, where worth the price of admission. Hope they make another one at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've heard that there are two more planned and that's the end of it.

If this weekend's box office numbers are anything to go by, the studio will want more than 10. These movies are cash printing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No post credits scene.
    how there wasn't a rocky 2 freeze frame fight between Hobbs and Shaw will forever anger me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mr E wrote: »
    I've heard that there are two more planned and that's the end of it.

If this weekend's box office numbers are anything to go by, the studio will want more than 10. These movies are cash printing machines.

Vin Diesel posted this last year
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BBUJBWKmPn6/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Went to see this last night and to be honest it was it is. A no nonsense action movie with some inventive set pieces. I enjoyed it for the most part although some of the Cuba scenes were especially cringe.

I thought they did well to make Dom the central plot as Vin Diesel is no longer the biggest star of the franchise and people might feel that he was in The Rock's shadow a bit. Vin Diesel is good though.

Definitely worth the price of a ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Seen it yesterday - overall I liked it but didnt like the Cuba scenes or the race there, it was all a bit weird.
    Dont get why the baby was named Brian - Brian O'Connor didnt die so there doesnt seem to be a reason to name the baby after his brother in law or maybe I am missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

toadfly wrote: »
    Dont get why the baby was named Brian - Brian O'Connor didnt die so there doesnt seem to be a reason to name the baby after his brother in law or maybe I am missing something?

Said the same to the wife on the way home.
    I get that it is a nod to Paul, but a better nod would have been calling the kids Paul or a variation of it - Paula for a little girl? Calling the kid Brian just didn't quite make sense - as you say, Brian didn't die. He probably could have been at their little BBQ if they had invited him. In fact maybe Mia would have liked to be there to meet her brothers kid!

I get that it is a nod to Paul, but a better nod would have been calling the kids Paul or a variation of it - Paula for a little girl? Calling the kid Brian just didn't quite make sense - as you say, Brian didn't die. He probably could have been at their little BBQ if they had invited him. In fact maybe Mia would have liked to be there to meet her brothers kid!

I don't mind them
    calling the kid Brian for the simple reason that he's not part of the group any more, even though he's still alive. But they could have come up with better reasons why Brian wasn't involved at all. I mean, they said they weren't going to call Brian, but considering about 200 cars were remotely controlled and used so the nuclear codes could be stolen from a Russian diplomat in New York, there's no way Brian doesn't see all that sh*t on the news and know it's Dom et al, especially when they have Dom's car pinned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

toadfly wrote: »
    Seen it yesterday - overall I liked it but didnt like the Cuba scenes or the race there, it was all a bit weird.

Jesse or Vince would have been choice names

If Hobbs or Deckard leave for spin off, I think franchise may suffer, I am only thinking they may leave over feud off set with Vin

Deckard was great in this one, mvp for me

• Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Went to see it this afternoon and found it a fun totally predictable action popcorn movie but not a fun as the previous two.

The Rock and Statham steal the movie for me.

I also feel they should have called the kid Paul instead of Brian since Brian isn't dead in movies.

The most fun you can I've had in a cinema since Fast and Furious 7. Two hours of nonstop action, set pieces that are jaw-dropping thanks to a reliance on good old-fashioned stunt work and a real sense that the people you are watching not just like each other but care for one another. The Fate of the Furious is the second best in the franchise to date and once again the cinematic look and feel of the film are a treat, while series such as the marvel universe pander dreary made for TV aesthetic the Fast and the Furious franchise wants you to know that this is a film for the cinema, with a plot that involves all manner of world hopping and cultivates in an extended action set piece that involves sports cars versus a submarine it's hard not to leave the cinema with a massive smile on your face.

And best of all, Jason Statham is given plenty to do this time around stealing the show thanks to his scenes in which he kicks ass while looking after a small child. The Fate of the Furious is everything you want in a blockbuster, it's kind of smart, it's thrilling, it looks great, the cast are damn good and the action is second to none. Go for the set pieces, stay for the genuine heart and be thrilled by some of the most wtf action beats imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yeah that was pretty great. Absolute ludicrous nonsense, but so much fun, and the cast was so game for it. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen this today in Odeon. This one has the best sound yet. Really enjoyed it. So much going on. I loved 6 I though 5 was over rated and 7 is very emotional so it was nice that this one got back to being fun with a cast that also loved doing it and having fun. Cuba looked stunning too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really didn't like this one as much as the last one. Don't get me wrong, it's still very watchable, and complete nonsense is what the franchise does best and revels in, but this one I felt lacked a certain spark that made the others one quite so outrageously entertaining.

Some of the dialogue was really poor and cringe-inducing, even by the standards of the franchise - usually the films have the balance just right, and the suspension of all logic and ridiculous dialogue never quite feels out of place nor ill-fitting - but in this one though, for the first time I did get that feeling and found a lot of it poorly put together.

It was fantastic in certain places - particularly every scene with Jason Statham, Charlize Theron is great, Vin Diesel is actually pretty good and Scott Eastwood is pretty likable even if the script doesn't really do him any justice - but the sort of climatic end act I found a bit too silly, predictable and cliche, and lacking the panache that made the last few films so great.

It's almost like Statham wrote his own dialogue - even in the exchanges between him and Hobbes, his dialogue is razor sharp and genuinely very funny, while Hobbe's lines are a bit flat and overly cliche. But genuinely, Statham is the star of this movie, just wish there was more of him.

Overall though decent watch and good fun. For me personally the weakest in a long time though.

For a franchise probably making billions, you'd expect them to have a better announcement poster for their next movies. It looks like something I can throw together in Canva.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes I did, but Brian would always come and help Dom and the team out so how will his absence be explained from this next new vendetta
    ziedth wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure they said they retired his character so my guess is he won't be mentioned again along with Mia.

Vin Diesel had up on his Facebook page a couple of weeks back that he wanted to take the franchise back in the street racer direction which I wouldn't be for at all. The films are in their own level of stupid but I really have enjoyed the last couple of them.
    Penn wrote: »
    I don't mind them
    calling the kid Brian for the simple reason that he's not part of the group any more, even though he's still alive. But they could have come up with better reasons why Brian wasn't involved at all. I mean, they said they weren't going to call Brian, but considering about 200 cars were remotely controlled and used so the nuclear codes could be stolen from a Russian diplomat in New York, there's no way Brian doesn't see all that sh*t on the news and know it's Dom et al, especially when they have Dom's car pinned down.

Yes they should have came up with a better explanation for Brian and Mia's absence, missing "family" BBQs etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Universal Considering ‘Fast and Furious’ Spin-off With Johnson, Statham and Theron

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/universal-fast-and-furious-dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-and-charlize-theron-1202392305/

It's got to the point where the overuse of CGI just makes everything so much less exciting. The zombie car scenes are where I felt this the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

It's got to the point where the overuse of CGI just makes everything so much less exciting. The zombie car scenes are where I felt this the most.
    It surely can't be worse for that than 7 was with the nonsense in Dubai?

IIRC Statham was sorely underutilised in 7 considering how good of a fit he is for the dumb world it's in. It's actually a bit crazy how little I remember of that film but I do recall being disappointed with his involvement.

It surely can't be worse for that than 7 was with the nonsense in Dubai?

IIRC Statham was sorely underutilised in 7 considering how good of a fit he is for the dumb world it's in. It's actually a bit crazy how little I remember of that film but I do recall being disappointed with his involvement.

I think part of that was due to Paul Walker's death and how filming was delayed for a few months. Statham was less available for filming or something.

Universal Considering ‘Fast and Furious’ Spin-off With Johnson, Statham and Theron

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/universal-fast-and-furious-dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-and-charlize-theron-1202392305/

I think a spin off
    with Shaw family, Deckard, Owen and Mama Shaw
    could work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I think a spin off
    with Shaw family, Deckard, Owen and Mama Shaw
    could work

I wonder if the vin diesel rock fall out had anything to do with it ?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I wonder if the vin diesel rock fall out had anything to do with it ?

I would say yes

I may have missed it but how was Owen Shaw in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I may have missed it but how was Owen Shaw in this?

What do you mean? He survived 6 and 7 opens with Deckard visiting him in hospital.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What do you mean? He survived 6 and 7 opens with Deckard visiting him in hospital.

I thought he was in prison :o

Advertisement