Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fate of the Furious

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree fully with Penn. To dismiss them as movies for idiots, which is the implication in some of the posts above, is fairly narrow minded. They're not exactly clever, but the last few F&F movies have delivered charismatic, silly fun by the bucketload and I've really enjoyed them.

Transformers on the other side, to my mind, is just a lazy, bloated and generic CGI fest.

Just making sure that's not aimed at me cos I wanted to be clear it wasn't about feeling superior or sniffy about the franchise, just a slight bafflement about their breathless appeal (internet hyperbole notwithstanding). I guess it's down to personal watermarks of how much silly becomes too much silly.

Have to jump on the CGI comment though because the one thing I took from the last two films (and haven't seen 'em since the cinema trip) was just how much & how dreadful the CGI in places was. Clearly the stunts are ludicrously overblown n' all, but I was surprised how much middling-to-bad FX there was - and there's something about CGI cars in an action movie about cars that feels ... kinda blasphemous in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Roman Pearce is one of the worst characters to ever appear in a movie.

They're passable fare, silly set-pieces with OTT bravado, and they're decent for it but this one does look quite bad.

They seem quite happy to admit they've run out of ideas as well, rehashing the idea that one of them has "turned bad" - only to be resolved late on no doubt. What are we thinking, Charlize Theron has hacked his brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

They're passable fare, silly set-pieces with OTT bravado, and they're decent for it but this one does look quite bad.

They seem quite happy to admit they've run out of ideas as well, rehashing the idea that one of them has "turned bad" - only to be resolved late on no doubt. What are we thinking, Charlize Theron has hacked his brain?

I'd say he is gone undercover and only Kurt Russell's character is in on it as if the rest knew they would obviously go easy on him. Theron's character probably has something dangerous and the only way to find out is for someone to get close to her. Or she kidnapped Dom's sister and is blackmailing him to work for her and he can't tell anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He was awful in 2F2F, but I think they've really started to nail his character in the last few movies. Again, that's the thing about the F&F franchise as a whole, once you accept how awful some of the things are, you actually appreciate them more. In any other film, Roman would be a horrible character. But here, he just fits in so well and adds so much.
    Or she kidnapped Dom's sister and is blackmailing him to work for her and he can't tell anybody.

I thought that too, but there'd be no way Paul Walker's character wouldn't come back to help, so I'd say they're just completely leaving her and Brian out of any future involvement in terms of storyline. Maybe a brief mention here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There'll be a twist in this, that's it's actually MASK the cartoon in movie form, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I think my IQ dropped 10 points watching that trailer...
    I'm so sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoy Tyrese's Roman in his banter with The Rock and Ludacris's characters in the later films

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm not sure about this whole tearing up the family loyalty bit. That's like core to the fast and furious. I'm guessing they gotta get back together in the end. That Theron is like holding Vin hostage somehow.

Another thing is the cars on snow/ice reminds me of Die Another Day.. which doesn't bode well.... but like.. if anyone can make it work.. fast and furious.. right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Im proud to say i have never watched a fast and furious film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

ricero wrote: »

Very odd "achievement" to take pride in, you must have little going on in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Why would you be proud of that ?!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why would you be proud of that ?!

Because he has a preconceived notion of the films and isn't willing to open his mind, obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your loss pal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The reasonably high rep of the whole series hinges on 5 and 6, Justin Lin, who seems to be pretty damn good with ensembles in general as well as action, ramped absolutely everything up for five and transformed an overstuffed cast into a legitimately likeable ensemble. With 6 he was able get away with doing most of the same again but bigger in every way.

Whether it could've been sustained for another film or not with Lin there is anyone's guess but there was f*ck all chance without him. The more I'm removed from 7, the more I think it was total ****ing garbage that managed to get by on sentiment. The actual action sequences were so ineffective that I can scarcely remember them while I remember 5 and 6's pretty damn well.
    I see nothing in F Gary Gray's filmography to suggest that he'll be capable of anything other than knocking out the kind of generic as **** heist film that people who've never given the series a chance expect.

On the more optimistic side:
    The Italian Job (2003) was okay, this'll probably be about as good as that
    I doubt Gray will commit the cardinal sin of making the team unlikeable (which is a constant risk with this bunch of pricks, like)
    Iceland is a location that has far more potential to make an impact than Abu Dhabi, a city that looks like a CGI coated hellscape before editing even begins
    No Ronda Rousey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superbowl trailer. I'm not sure why but I'm not feeling it for this film. Will still give it a watch though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Release dates have been revealed for Fast & Furious 9 and 10;

Fast-and-Furious-Release-Dates.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The Fate of the Furious, is going to be a massive movie in more ways than one.

Not only will it be big on action and spectacle, but the movie is reportedly going to be nearly three hours long.

IMDB recently updated The Fate of the Furious movie page and now has the movie listed with a reported run time of 160 minutes. Yes, if this new information is true, Fast and Furious 8 is going to be by far the longest movie in the franchise and one of the more lengthy movies to be released in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That could turn it into a little exhausting time wise, imo. Two hours is a better time for such action packed movies - but fook it, i'm not going to complain about more F&F. Ride or Die, Dom, Ride or Die!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trailer 2. If it's this pace for 160 minutes, I'll be knackered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Well, theres no need to go to the cinema now, that trailer surely covered all the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Helen Mirren wants in too, could see her as matriarch mama Shaw

It seems she is playing Deckard Shaw's mama :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

2 hours 40 minutes, god, why did I book tickets to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Surprisingly fun, if not completely predictable. The trailers gave almost everything important away.

Anyone know how long it is? Google is saying 2h 40m, whereas IMDB has 136 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

titan18 wrote: »
    2 hours 40 minutes, god, why did I book tickets to this.

its only 2 hrs, i seen it today, started at 3pm was out of cinema by 5pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it is? Google is saying 2h 40m, whereas IMDB has 136 minutes.

2hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Went to see on Wednesday night. Great fun, lots of big action scenes, and of course, preposterous! But that doesn't detract from it.

• Advertisement

its only 2 hrs, i seen it today, started at 3pm was out of cinema by 5pm

Thank god, don't think I could have last 2 hours 40

Advertisement