Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Hair dryer with digital motor ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Detailed teardown.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Our fridge has a digital inverter. I know this because they felt the need to write it on front.
    Samsung?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Just saw an add for the dyson hairdryer with 'new digital motor' ...

How is a motor digital? Surely its mechanical or magnetic or i dont know, hydrolic ... but digital?

Am I missing something?

Motors are inherently analog. They cannot be digital. The control circuitry is digital.
    It's just a marketing technique trying to make it sound like some breakthrough technology. In reality its probably not much more advanced than the motor in a CD or DVD player.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

aido79 wrote: »
    Motors are inherently analog. They cannot be digital. The control circuitry is digital.
    It's just a marketing technique trying to make it sound like some breakthrough technology. In reality its probably not much more advanced than the motor in a CD or DVD player.

Like Apple and their "digital headphones".

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

awec wrote: »
    Like Apple and their "digital headphones".

Yeah exactly. Sound can't be digital. Digital audio needs to be converted to analog to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

aido79 wrote: »
    Yeah exactly. Sound can't be digital. Digital audio needs to be converted to analog to be heard.
    If you break anything down enough everything's analog at the end of the day. Transistors are inherently analog. I feel if you can pick something up as one single unit, such as a motor with built in control circuitry, you're justified in calling it digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Dyson is a triumph of marketing about design over actual result.

Have one of their vacuum cleaners. Sure, Dyson tell us it's got this or that gadgetry...but give me a Henry any day.

Or a Nilfisk! Those things would run for years and years. We had one when I was growing up that was bought in the 80s and I was born in 95. The thing wouldn't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dyson had a stand at the ploughing championships this year. I saw a poster outside saying something along the lines of €150 off the price of dyson stuff and thought I'd treat myself to a Dyson vacuum cleaner. The prices where still up on €400, even after the discount, for a little rechargable handheld vacuum cleaner. I'm just not that much into hoovering. You'd want to be very confident it's going to last and their guarantee is just the basic two year guarantee, which isn't confidence inspiring.

I still just use a sweeping brush and dust pan, seems just as good for a tenner.

Advertisement