Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Hair dryer with digital motor ...

Options
  • 11-12-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an add for the dyson hairdryer with 'new digital motor' ...

How is a motor digital? Surely its mechanical or magnetic or i dont know, hydrolic ... but digital?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Marketing, Anything with circuitry is digital. State of on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Marketing, Anything with circuitry is digital. State of on or off.

ah, so my car is digital too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's just hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

It's " blown " out of proportion...

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

That yoke is €400!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Just saw an add for the dyson hairdryer with 'new digital motor' ...

How is a motor digital? Surely its mechanical or magnetic or i dont know, hydrolic ... but digital?

Am I missing something?

There's a teardown on YouTube by a guy called AvE. worth a watch if you're curious as to how it works

Dyson is a triumph of marketing about design over actual result.

Have one of their vacuum cleaners. Sure, Dyson tell us it's got this or that gadgetry...but give me a Henry any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I love the the reviews on Amazon.co.uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYSON-Supersonic-Hair-Dryer-Fuchsia/dp/7178681896 you could say there is a slight division of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Posting a thread asking if it electrical or is it not?

Surely you're just splitting hairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Presumably it's to do with the motor PWM driver circuitry which would allow a high degree of control of the acceleration and speed of the motor. Whether that's needed in a hair dryer is debatable. All brushless DC motors require controllers similar to this so it's mostly a marketing term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

TheChizler wrote: »
    Presumably it's to do with the motor PWM driver circuitry which would allow a high degree of control of the acceleration and speed of the motor. Whether that's needed in a hair dryer is debatable. All brushless DC motors require controllers similar to this so it's mostly a marketing term?

Interesting teardown video of the Dyson.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnyhoEZXhM

Its not a brushless DC motor

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can remember one hammer drill with electronic speed control. It had ONE diode, that's the least number of electronic components you can have in a circuit.

And any marketer who uses "digital" on a TV aerial deserves to have one inserted.

I can remember one hammer drill with electronic speed control. It had ONE diode, that's the least number of electronic components you can have in a circuit.

And any marketer who uses "digital" on a TV aerial deserves to have one inserted.

Cap... You owe me a new Keyboard... It's analog. :D

ongarite wrote: »
    Interesting teardown video of the Dyson.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnyhoEZXhM

Its not a brushless DC motor
    Anywhere I've looked says brushless DC with a neodymium magnet core, same as the other digital motors? What is it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

As far as I know the dyson hairdryer doesn't make any noise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

I suspect the technology for this soundless digital air jet may come from the same technology that powers the soundless digital air jet drone devices what have been bombing mountain shepherds and weddings the last few years.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

s4uv3 wrote: »
    That yoke is €400!

What the ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anywhere I've looked says brushless DC with a neodymium magnet core, same as the other digital motors? What is it so?
    Switched reluctance motor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wonder if it's silent and dries your hair in 3 seconds

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Switched reluctance motor
    Arguably similar :-D

• Advertisement

Is that not just a Rare kind of earth magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

s4uv3 wrote: »
    That yoke is €400!

That's making Apple seem like excellent value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Probably uses a digital plug too and can only be used with a fully digital hair brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All marketing spiel....
    I saw an ad earlier saying for so much euro a month donated you can adopt a tiger (Charity shi*e like) But then thought well hold on, if 10,000 people all gave €5 euro a month then how many times over is a tiger adopted? :pac:
    In fact, what in the blue hell is so called "adopting" an animal with a charity in this case? :pac: It's not like I am rescuing him from the local pound and he comes to live in my back garden (that's adopting)

Marketing brilliance when you think about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some Dyson products are very good but they are way, waaaay overpriced.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My hairdresser (freelance, comes to my house) bought a dyson recently and I asked her to dry my hair with it since I was really curious. It is not remotely silent. Its a bit quieter than a typical salon hair dryer, but silent is a nonsense.

It did work nicely, my hair felt very soft after it and its nice a lightweight, but at €400, no way could I justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

The term "digital motor" appears to have been invented by Dyson for marketing purposes. The fundamental principal is the same as for all other electromagnetic motors. The specific type of motor used by Dyson has permanent magnets in the rotor and is called a brushless DC motor or a permanent-magnet synchronous motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Some Dyson products are very good but they are way, waaaay overpriced.:mad:

Agreed. We have a Dyson DC29 vacuum cleaner and it is by far the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had.
    But it was a wedding gift so did not have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Our fridge has a digital inverter. I know this because they felt the need to write it on front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

buried wrote: »
    I suspect the technology for this soundless digital air jet may come from the same technology that powers the soundless digital air jet drone devices what have been bombing mountain shepherds and weddings the last few years.

I think you'll find they don't only bomb weddings and shepherds, they have conered the market in bombing schools too.

Advertisement