Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19yr old cat - how to know when???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

zipee wrote: »
    "I also taught him before I let him out that it was to be taken off by reversing- so if he got stuck in a branch, he would be able to free himself by simply backing out and taking it off himself."

God that's impressive!! I've never been able to teach my cats anything other than "din dins" is food time :)

He's too smart for his own good betimes. But I had him in vests for a while trying to stop him from eating his belly raw, it was either that or the cone of shame so it was a good incentive for him! Think cats naturally reverse to try and wriggle out of places if they are stuck so just had to help him lift his feet so they came out of the sleeves.
    I used to feel so bad to see him try and groom through it though, so I'd take it off for an hour a day and allow supervised grooming, felt like such a sap doing that but you could really see the skin start to heal very quickly once it dried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Serious sos!!! She's pooping outside of the box!!!!

This can't go on at all.... for no length of time!! I take lodgers..... they don't give fiddlers about her emotional state.... they pay my bills.... they leave.... I'm screwed!!! Same lodgers.... she's used to them so they are not the issue....
    Wtf now???!!!

Is it the frigging vest???? Arrgh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Zipee there are multiple possible reasons for it but stress is the most likely driver; for starters clean the toilet(s) twice a day, secondly remove the vest (as a precaution) and third continue with as normal routine as possible.

Thanks Nody. If vest off she has herself raw! Oh I'm at wits end now... really... I really though she was improving!!!

So update. She's not pooping outside of box thank god!! I've moved food & litter box to sitting room I'm in so she is just with me. If she's not with me she's under my bed refusing to come out. She seems bit better but still depressed and definitely not eating like she was.

I've taken baby vests off her. She has over groomed And given herself 2 bald patch on left shoulder, but patches have dried out.... they seem to be healing and she licks them a little but not madly.

She has gone out a bit yesterday & today. Stayed in greenhouse most of today & wouldn't come in when called.

She still won't sleep in my room like she has done all her life. It's been 3 weeks since my other cat passed. Should I go back to vet or just give her more time?

It's hard watching her like this. Tuna was her ultimate fav and she just picked at it tonight.

Any advice welcome. I think I've attached a picture of her sore spot. It's redder than pic shows.... should I still put vest on her.... she hates it.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement