Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19yr old cat - how to know when???

Options
  • 11-12-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

My beautiful gentle lady.... 19yrs this month...she's gone so thin, breathing seems fast, vet heard heart murmur last few times....

She is so thin now, vets say they can do a lot of bloods etc but she's 19 and if I'm very honest, I'm single parent to 3 on less than €30k!

I don't want her to suffer in any way. I bring her to get nails clipped every few months & last time vet said not suffering yet... but she's thinner now... so how do you know when it's time? She still hops onto my lap for cuddles, she still has the loudest purr I ever heard from a cat....

Hoping to spoil her over Christmas....she sleeps on my bed every night...

How do you know when??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

zipee wrote: »
    My beautiful gentle lady.... 19yrs this month...she's gone so thin, breathing seems fast, vet heard heart murmur last few times....

She is so thin now, vets say they can do a lot of bloods etc but she's 19 and if I'm very honest, I'm single parent to 3 on less than €30k!

I don't want her to suffer in any way. I bring her to get nails clipped every few months & last time vet said not suffering yet... but she's thinner now... so how do you know when it's time? She still hops onto my lap for cuddles, she still has the loudest purr I ever heard from a cat....

Hoping to spoil her over Christmas....she sleeps on my bed every night...

How do you know when??
    Thanks

You will know - when she stops eating, when she stops hopping onto your lap, when she loses interest in life.

To help with costs maybe get the vet to show you how to do her nails. Also discuss if the vet will come out to the house. That's what we did for our very old cat. It was very peaceful.

Good luck. 19 is a great age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

A veterinary nurse once told me that if they're eating and in no discomfort then it's a good indication that they're in relatively good health , so Iif she's eating I'd leave her until you notice any marked decrease in her well being

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

No one knows when it is time. You need to enjoy each others company as much as you can and the time comes when it comes. 19 years is a fantastic age for a cat and it shows how much you love her, because she's a member of the family.
    Take some family photos with her, and spend as much time with her as you can. These moment are precious and will be with you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

If I put tuna down she wolfs it or chicken or rasher. But actual whiskas sachets... sometimes she eats & sometimes she licks the jelly off.... I must put 8/10 sachets down & put most with only tiny bits gone in bin.... only giving chicken since she gone so thin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

One of my cats is that age. Eats endless chicken, egg, bits of yoghurt, wet and dry cat food.

Hope OP's cat has more time still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If I put tuna down she wolfs it or chicken or rasher. But actual whiskas sachets... sometimes she eats & sometimes she licks the jelly off.... I must put 8/10 sachets down & put most with only tiny bits gone in bin.... only giving chicken since she gone so thin....
    Sorry zipee but that's more to do with the quality of food you serve than anything else (and our cats would do the same and only lick the sauce the few times they get it as a treat); Whiskas is low quality food I'm sorry to say and the "meat" is not smelling correct for it (they basically mix the sauce to smell correct for cats to eat it as they are driven by their nose).

Secondly only giving chicken I'm assuming you're talking about chicken breast or similar which means she's not getting the full nutrition she needs. One of the key items missing in a breast for example would be Taurine which is critical for cats so if you don't serve hearts, guts and necks as well with the breast it's not going to be anywhere close to complete. Your best bet is to change to an alternative food of higher quality which does not need to cost you an arm and a leg. Four complete cheap foods are Animonda Carny (note the Carny as there are at least three different Animonda), Bozita, Catz Finefood and Feringa duo; the first two are likely to be stocked in your local pet shop while the second two are more rare. Alternatively you can buy them from Zooplus.ie for most likely a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Yup, chicken is not good long-term nutrition but for an animal at the end of its life... My dog, for the last week, ate a mixture of pork pies, caramel waffle biscuits, chocolate chip cookies, and porridge, as much as she wanted of each. Balanced diet? Hell no! But that was what she ate.

Try different cat foot. Sheba is supposed to be rather addictive- though expensive also. Nody is right to say that price does not always correlate well with quality. If it's a complete cat food then she will be still better than on chicken breast.

I have in the past gone to the shop and literally got twenty two different kinds of cat food (single sachets, small tins etc. where I could) to find something an elderly cat would eat- I went from pet shop to tesco to aldi etc. You could try this? Turns out aldi cat food was what he wanted and he scarfed it down. The money I spent finding this out...

http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/qualityoflife.html There are a few different 'quality of life' questionnaires out there. Don't feel like you have to 'just know', it can be tempting to leave it too late and it's better early than too late.

I'll definitely try other food! I was assuming whiskas the best! I throw 90% of it out!! Thank you.

Just wanted to say I went to pet shop and got Mac food I think it's 70% meat. I tried her with a small can & she wolfed it down. First time she's licked plate clean in about 6 months! She's now stretched out in front of radiator stuffed! I just hope her bowel is ok with it.

Thanks guys! It was just lovely to see her Eat 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just wanted to say I went to pet shop and got Mac food I think it's 70% meat. I tried her with a small can & she wolfed it down. First time she's licked plate clean in about 6 months! She's now stretched out in front of radiator stuffed! I just hope her bowel is ok with it.
    Would that be MAC's? If so good choice but as I did not find it on Zooplus.ie I was not sure you'd find it or not and hence included in my list :)

• Advertisement

Yes Nody MAC. Spoke to guy in shop and assures me it'll fatten her up again. I just wanted one that I could pick up a few small tins and try her to see if she'd eat it.

I had no idea whiskas was crap! I thought I was feeding her the best. And vets never suggested changing foods.... just wanted bloods costing few hubdred.

Even though good bit dearer, i'all save a fortune.... I was putting down 10 sachets a day trying to tempt her & dumping it!

Thanks again.... now if you can tell me how to turn her age back I'd be super thrilled 😀😂

Even though good bit dearer, i'all save a fortune.... I was putting down 10 sachets a day trying to tempt her & dumping it!
    You can order it in from the German site but you'll want to target an order around 80 EUR if memory serves for it to make sense and of course see what the price difference is.

Might do in a few weeks when I''m sure she's settled on it. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry zipee but that's more to do with the quality of food you serve than anything else (and our cats would do the same and only lick the sauce the few times they get it as a treat); Whiskas is low quality food I'm sorry to say and the "meat" is not smelling correct for it (they basically mix the sauce to smell correct for cats to eat it as they are driven by their nose).

Try telling that to my cat.:D We tried everything - some really expensive canned food - she wont eat it. The only thing she'll eat is whiskas in terms of wet food. I wish she'd eat something else because whiskas is only the 4% legal minimum "meat" rubbish, but what can you do.. her ladyship has spoken.

(and only the jelly whiskas not the gravy - fussy cat for a former feral)

She does however also eat pretty high end dry food... but I dont like her eating dry food only.

The point is although it would be good for the OP to change from whiskas, the cat may not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Might do in a few weeks when I''m sure she's settled on it. 😊

Get a a small sample of the food first, she may not eat it because shes not used to it / doesnt like it... and if you are watching out for her not eating as a sign for her health declining... well just dont misinterpret.

Cats can be ridiculously fussy about food.

So update... my lovely lady ... I had to put her down last thurs... her breathing became laboured & within 2 days I knew it was her time.... all those that said you would know were so right. It was just this change... but she did wolf the new food in her last few weeks 😊

Anyway did the horrible deed anc since then my problem is my other mischievous minx.... my 13 yr old cat.... sh s lost! Utterly depressed....

She used to snuggle with my lady in my bed from about 2am now she wakes me miaowing and won't stay in bed. She liked to go out for most of day but now won't go out. She's very depressed. How do I lift her? Favourite foods not enticing her! I don't know what to do for her.... it's pathetic!

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Really sorry to hear about your cat .....hopefully the other one will forget soon...my dog forgot his brother within a week or so ...after 13 years together. Wish we could forget so easily.......

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about your cat .....hopefully the other one will forget soon...my dog forgot his brother within a week or so ...after 13 years together. Wish we could forget so easily.......

From my own experience animals don't forget they adjust a lot quicker than humans.

She used to snuggle with my lady in my bed from about 2am now she wakes me miaowing and won't stay in bed. She liked to go out for most of day but now won't go out. She's very depressed. How do I lift her? Favourite foods not enticing her! I don't know what to do for her.... it's pathetic!

Any ideas?
    Another companion cat; not a kitten as that would most likely be to much energized furball of claws but someone who's a known cat lover around 3 to 7 years; shelters should be able to advice what cats they got that like to cuddle with other cats that could be a fit and of course a lot of cuddles.

Sorry I've not been back on.... and I'm only on my phone which means I can't access to thank people for their replies but I do!

Anyway 2nd stressed cat missing her lifelong buddy, now has sores on her side! From excessive grooming I think. She has never had skin issues before and I will go to vet tomorrow or Friday. But I'm pretty sure it's grief & stress.

She has always been a terribly nervous cat ( I suspect she was a fertile kitten I got). It took her about 6 yrs to become a lap cat & she hides from everyone but me and one of my girls.

So I think another cat would stress her more. I was hoping she'd just be happy to have me to herself but now this skin thing.... about 6/8 sores only just come in last 2 days!

At a loss what to do for her....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Try feliway. There is a diffuser and also a spray iirc. They are feline happy pheromones, they worked well when we introduced a third cat. Sorry to hear about your other cat. It hurts a lot to loose a dear companion (our beloved pudz died only 2 weeks ago and we miss her dearly)

Check with the rescues Zipee; if she's missing company like that another very laid back cat friendly cat may actually help but they would need time and space to bond. Anyway Feliway as noted above but also get Zylkene and add to her food; I find Zylkene to be the more effective of the two but it has to be eaten (open the pills and mix the powder in their food); you should be able to get Zylkene from any local vet or from Vet UK (if you buy it from a vet discuss the dosage but we've been recommended between 75mg to 225mg per day depending on how severe the stress has been).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

Very sorry for you loss. We've lost a cat recenty too. Still can't figure out how to cope with it.

Thanks for all the support xx

Took her to vet & yes she is stressed beyond belief and excessively grooming herself raw!

Got the nutriscience paste for her which did work in past when I moved house. Vet suggested putting baby tshirt on her. Tried a 0-3 months & she was out of it in 2 mins. Have a up to 1 month old vest but neck was wide & I put 2 safety pins in neck..... now is it safe to use safety pins???

Vet gave 2 injections one antibiotic& anti-inflammatory & one sedative. I also got a hard kibble I used for her before for calming her & it did work before so fingers crossed. She's still grooming even with sedative.

Vet said she's lost weight too.... like here I go again!!! Just have sinking feeling I could be losing number 2 soon also....

She had a cone after a small op few years ago and it stressed her madly so vet doesn't want to try it.

I know another cat would kill her with stress...she hides if anyone visits my house....she hid for two weeks from cat sitter once sneaking out to eat at night.... cat sitter phoned me upset that she must have escaped.... I arrive home & she trots down the stairs not a bother in her!!

So really my current question is it ok to use two safety pins to tighten neck of vest when on her???

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Zipee I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. It's so difficult to lose pets who have been a part of the family :( But your cat had a wonderful long life and that's the best thing you could have done for her.

But my cat does the same thing, not even just when he's stressed, just starts to groom himself raw all of a sudden. Babygros do work with him but the only way I could keep them on him around the neck was to make little incisions around the neck and thread his collar through it, similar to the way a cone is held on their neck. I also found that that if I tightened up the bit on his back with an elastic band it stopped him tripping up on it with his back legs, though he took a 3-6month old one, the fat yoke :pac:

My vet also gave him a steroid injection & I also got steroid tablets to take away the itch that comes from the raw skin, wonder if you could ask about them too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do a YouTube search for TTouch Body Wrap for cats... It may help lower anxiety in itself, and it might prove an effective way of securing the babygro too, to protect the skin.
    I'd also second Nody's suggestion of Zylkene, or Calmex (there's more evidence to support the anxiety-reducing effects of the latter)... Both available online without prescription.
    Good luck Op, it's a really worrying one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Steroids can help the inflammation and irritation while also stimulating appetite. Something you could mention to your vet if her appetite doesn't improve just to get her through this difficult stretch.

Bit of a breakthrough! She didn't just sleep on the bed with me last but IN IT! Glued to me! :D I have actually put my back out badly and so its good cos I am on couch unable to move and she is on me all day. Its first she slept on my bed since other cat gone. She wanted to go out this morning for first time and had a bit of a play chasing leaves in wind.

So my question..... I took vest off her letting her out garden as I was afraid she might get stuck in a bush or tree but of course she had a good old go at the grooming:mad: So let her out or not? Vest on or off?

She's also eating some of the food that helps calm her too. So fingers crossed shes on the mend. The challenge will be healing the wounds she has given herself and there are a good few of them.

Thanks for all help and suggestions - all greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That's good news hopefully she's coming back to form.
    I let Kovu out with his 'gro on, but the bit under his belly started to droop when it got wet so I had to stitch it smaller. I also taught him before I let him out that it was to be taken off by reversing- so if he got stuck in a branch, he would be able to free himself by simply backing out and taking it off himself.

• Advertisement

"I also taught him before I let him out that it was to be taken off by reversing- so if he got stuck in a branch, he would be able to free himself by simply backing out and taking it off himself."

God that's impressive!! I've never been able to teach my cats anything other than "din dins" is food time :)

Advertisement