Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps vs Connacht 11/12/2016 1pm on Sky Sports 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wasps play Newcastle after Bath. The Bath game is on Christmas Eve. I'd say they're most likely to play their strongest team against Connacht and Bath and then give a few players a rest for Newcastle (which also means a rest between Christmas day and New Years)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

connachta wrote: »
    Wasps are focused on a crucial Bath game the week after.

No they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

No. Nothing in France i'm ready to bet on that. We need 5 points this Sat. It's feasable. Wasps are focused on a crucial Bath game the week after.

So apparently it's feasible for us to take 5 points this Saturday but you believe we'll get nothing in France. Surely if it feasible to get 5 points from Wasps the same squad should be capable of getting something in France against a team we've already beaten once this season when we were deprived of two thirds of our starting front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

you'd think they would be coming over to win to ensure that have the highest points total moving onto the next stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

its_phil wrote: »
    Wasps are focused on a crucial Bath game the week after.

No they're not.
    Of course they are. Decider in their season. Connacht game is not. They just have to beat Toulouse at home to top the pool, which I dare say, is easier than Connacht away.
    Look I don't say they'll throw away that game. Just that it has not the same "mental intensity" not as much at stake as we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Of course they are. Decider in their season. Connacht game is not. They just have to beat Toulouse at home to top the pool, which I dare say, is easier than Connacht away.
    Look I don't say they'll throw away that game. Just that it has not the same "mental intensity" not as much at stake as we have

Decider in the middle of a 22 game season. What are you on about?!

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Wasps will be looking for the best possible seeding for the QF. They are 2nd in the AP. One game v Bath shouldnt define the season for thembut one game in a group of 6 could have a bigger impact. They also have a game with zebre in January to rest some players should they choose to

KBurke85 wrote: »
    No. Nothing in France i'm ready to bet on that. We need 5 points this Sat. It's feasable. Wasps are focused on a crucial Bath game the week after.

So apparently it's feasible for us to take 5 points this Saturday but you believe we'll get nothing in France. Surely if it feasible to get 5 points from Wasps the same squad should be capable of getting something in France against a team we've already beaten once this season when we were deprived of two thirds of our starting front row.
    I do think Connacht will conceed 5 points away against bigger team, just as yesterday showed it.
    And I do think at the same time Connacht are able to score 4 tries Home against anyone. Ulster showed it.
    Yes I keep firmly this position

Decider in the middle of a 22 game season. What are you on about?!
    Of FFS 8-pointer is a word created for no reason? All right...

Lake1989 wrote: »
    They also have a game with zebre in January to rest some players should they choose to
    They won't rest anyone. And they can win. They just have less at stake than what they have the week after.
    They did the job, that the "good" point of having let them 5 points.

• Advertisement

They won't rest anyone. And they can win. They just have less at stake than what they have the week after.
    They did the job, that the "good" point of having let them 5 points.

They play zebre last. If they win their next two games they can probably sent their 2nd string to zebre. Wasps take the ERCC seriously so I dont think they will lack for anything this saturday

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/toulouse-vs-wasps/80071

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If Connacht beat wasps this week by more than 7 than the group is out of Wasps hands. They won't assume Connacht will lose down in France and as such will be out to ensure the group is theirs to lose. This is much more of an 8 pointer than bath

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    Only seen the highlights now.

What the hell happened there? Was literally nobody 2-3m either side of him when he went through the gap despite Connacht having numbers.

I'd still say Connacht have a decent change of progressing but it's essential they win next week now. 5 points against Zebre and a LBP in France could be enough. It's a long shot but gotta hope.

Defenders started on the outside of their men. You're supposed to defend inside out (except the winger/last man). That's a brilliant example why... you end up switching onto the inside man too much because you don't trust the inside man, two players bit on Beale and left a massive gap for anyone to walk through.

Bridge93 wrote: »

If Connacht beat wasps this week by more than 7 than the group is out of Wasps hands. They won't assume Connacht will lose down in France and as such will be out to ensure the group is theirs to lose. This is much more of an 8 pointer than bath
    Connacht won't win another one in Toulouse. Even if they are out.
    100 quids on that, even 100 Euros
    Challenge Cup shows French teams always defend the home ground, even without proper interest. Toulouse will surely do that, and way better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

100 quids on that
    Challenge Cup shows French teams always defend the home ground, even without proper interest. Toulouse will surely do that, and way better

They may not. But a professional sports team aren't going to leave the door open for a shock to ruin their season.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    100 quids on that

They may not. But a professional sports team aren't going to leave the door open for a shock to ruin their season.
    that's why they won't rest any players BUT will consider it still less decisive than the Bath home game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I do think Connacht will conceed 5 points away against bigger team, just as yesterday showed it.
    And I do think at the same time Connacht are able to score 4 tries Home against anyone. Ulster showed it.

The game this weekend showed it? The game against one of the best sides in England(Europe?) which was neck and neck for 60 minutes despite the fact that we were playing without a line-out or a goal kicker?

that's why they won't rest any players BUT will consider it still less decisive than the Bath home game

says who? Wasps take the ERCC seriously. One game in a 6 match pool could make or break their season. They arent Relying on a connacht defeat in france to scrape through as it could mean an away QF. Thats a huge impact on their season and finances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the announcer at the game was a joke. Roaring 'Oggy Oggy Oggy' full blast while the game was ongoing, farcical stuff.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the announcer at the game was a joke. Roaring 'Oggy Oggy Oggy' full blast while the game was ongoing, farcical stuff.

That was very annoying but the fans were sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster fans will remember the Leinster v London Irish game in 2010

The announcer (who was still their announcer last I was in Reading) kept shouting "Come on you Irish" over the tannoy during the game! When they were playing an Irish team!

Bazzo wrote: »
    That was very annoying but the fans were sound.

Agreed. It shouldn't be allowed though, one stage he was doing it when McCartney was throwing a ball in, it was ridiculous.

The game this weekend showed it? The game against one of the best sides in England(Europe?) which was neck and neck for 60 minutes despite the fact that we were playing without a line-out or a goal kicker?
    So Toulouse is not " one of the best sides in Europe " able to reproduce  a 5-0 at Home? Your opinion!

So Toulouse is not " one of the best sides in Europe " able to reproduce  a 5-0 at Home? Your opinion!

I'm saying that if we can stay in a game against one of the best in Europe for 60 minutes while missing 2 crucial elements to our game then it's rididculous to use that same game to surmise that any away game against a big European side will have a 5-0 result for us.

This is irrelevant. Connacht will focus on getting 4 points, if an opportunity comes for a bp, well and good. Wasps are a lot better than Toulouse though. Connacht are well capable of giving Toulouse a run for their money in France especially with a good scrum.

This is irrelevant. Connacht will focus on getting 4 points, if an opportunity comes for a bp, well and good. Wasps are a lot better than Toulouse though. Connacht are well capable of giving Toulouse a run for their money in France especially with a good scrum.
    Sorry? Toulouse give us a beating at scrum!  Even with Buckley back, I doubt they are so worse than Wasps

Toulouse 20-20 Wasps

About an hour in yesterday Carty missed a kick to make it Wasps 20-20 Connacht.

Connacht absolutely are capable of winning in Toulouse. Toulouse lose at Wasps with no BP and they can get to 18 points max in the group. So maybe they might not be that invested in the last game. Do Wasps want to take that chance? I think they will 100% want to keep it in their own hands this saturday.

I'm saying that if we can stay in a game against one of the best in Europe for 60 minutes while missing 2 crucial elements to our game then it's rididculous to use that same game to surmise that any away game against a big European side will have a 5-0 result for us.
    We will still miss BoShoff and Ronaldson for Toulouse in January. And it could be worse, we were pretty close to full-strenght yesterday. More then we ever had

Sorry? Toulouse give us a beating at scrum!  Even with Buckley back, I doubt they are so worse than Wasps

Yes my point was that we will hopefully have a stronger front row than the first fixture and hopefully not concede so many penalties, not that we would beat Toulouse there.

Toulouse aren't one of the best teams in Europe in my opinion. They are reliant on a big pack to dominate and haven't much of a plan beyond that. Get close to parity up front and no reason Connacht can't give them a right game.

This is all irrelevant for the time being, job for Connacht is to get four points this Saturday.

• Advertisement

Lake1989 wrote: »

Toulouse 20-20 Wasps

About an hour in yesterday Carty missed a kick to make it Wasps 20-20 Connacht.

Connacht absolutely are capable of winning in Toulouse. Toulouse lose at Wasps with no BP and they can get to 18 points max in the group. So maybe they might not be that invested in the last game. Do Wasps want to take that chance? I think they will 100% want to keep it in their own hands this saturday.
    18 Max is what we'll have if no BP this week.
    Wasps will try but might let it go a wee bit easier now. That's all I'm saying. And it could help for a BP.
    Anyway, if it's raining we're done...

EDIT: no, positivity we're just "in trouble" :D

Advertisement