Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War for the Planet of the Apes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I thought it was the weakest of the three films. Woody Harrelson phoning in his now quite typical psycho performance. It didn't have the emotional impact even with the spoilery bits. No female characters of relevance at all - seriously - can we not even achieve this in a film about talking apes? The mute child barely counts.
    Terribly convenient avalanche at the end, which somehow doesn't knock over the specific trees the apes are on.

I actually considered leaving half way through. I read this morning that a fourth one is planned: feels quite unnecessary, given the ending.
    That makes no sense as it's a prequel so by its definition it ties in with the next film. The mute child is nova the main female in the entire franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

That makes no sense as it's a prequel so by its definition it ties in with the next film. The mute child is nova the main female in the entire franchise.

No she isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Thought it was entertaining enough and on par with the previous two.
    Once they'd used Charlton Heston's voice on the last trailer, you could guess how this would go - Humans eventually destroy themselves, whats left devolve into mutes, leaving the apes a clear run. This movie gives a neat explainer as to how the humans lose their speech and become subservient to the apes. I hope they just leave it there as they've covered the Caesar story, they don't need to remake the 1968 movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I really enjoyed it, and the acting performance by Serkis is the best i have seen this year.

Also, there was a couple sitting in the font row taking selifies/snapchats of themselves for the last 30 mins of the movie. Is there a protocol for how to ask someone nicely to put their phone away or leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, and the acting performance by Serkis is the best i have seen this year.

Also, there was a couple sitting in the font row taking selifies/snapchats of themselves for the last 30 mins of the movie. Is there a protocol for how to ask someone nicely to put their phone away or leave?

Disembodiment

Seriously tho, tell them to knock it off then if not followed get cinema staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

You're joking.

WTF?

If I've paid 14 Euro to watch a film and some feckers were doing that in front of me, I wouldn't be short on letting a roar at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I've often thought about snatching someones phone and fecking it at the wall/down the stairs for constantly using it throughout movies...

What are the chances id get in legal trouble? :pac:

nix wrote: »
    I've often thought about snatching someones phone and fecking it at the wall/down the stairs for constantly using it throughout movies...

What are the chances id get in legal trouble? :pac:
    Think there's a legal exception for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Guffy wrote: »
    No she isn't

What makes you say that?
    I thought that was pretty clear. Mute blond girl called Nova, she is Nova from the original? Caesar's son Cornelius is Cornelius from the original. I thought that was what they were doing.

Edit: Actually just reading up there the original is set so far in the future, been years since I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

tvnutz wrote: »
    What makes you say that?
    I thought that was pretty clear. Mute blond girl called Nova, she is Nova from the original? Caesar's son Cornelius is Cornelius from the original. I thought that was what they were doing.

Edit: Actually just reading up there the original is set so far in the future, been years since I've seen it.

Sorry i should have elaborated but was busy at the time. It was a nod to Nova, from the original. Not the same character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just seen it now as been away and enjoyed it. Not as good as Rise or Dawn, but still very good.

Not sure he'll ever get an actual one but Serkis deserves a lifetime achievement award for what's he done for motion capture acting. It's been nothing sort of amazing what he's done as Caesar in particular, never mind his other work. One of the best moment in films over last several years for me, was Caesar shouting no in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Myself and the missus walked out of this last weekend out of sheer boredom. Unless something amazing happened in the last hour we both though the film was a snooze fest full of monkeys talking about "feelings"

D3V!L wrote: »
    Myself and the missus walked out of this last weekend out of sheer boredom. Unless something amazing happened in the last hour we both though the film was a snooze fest full of monkeys talking about "feelings"

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I thought it was very good. It was actually low-key, just a couple of settings, but visually it was a fantastic achievement and a satisfying end to the trilogy. I thought Woody Harrelson was a major weak link (he should not do serious acting any more, just comedy...that guy has totally jumped the shark!), but everything else was great. I wasn't a major fan of Caesar in this one, but I really liked his friends, especially Maurice, the orangutan (I used to donate money to the Save the orangutan foundation, but forgot about it in recent times, but I'm signing up again because of Maurice!). What beautiful creatures! Also Luca the gorilla with his sticky out belly was so cute. All very noble guys...
    I cried a lot at this movie to be honest, especially with Maurice giving the doll to Nova, and then telling Caesar very matter of factly he was going to stay with her rather than leave her by herself after they had killed her father. Beautiful scenes. I cried too when Luca died...poor guy. And also the ending, when Caesar passed away...beautiful ending with the sun shining in the background. Of course the bloody cinema turned up the lights straight away and I was bawling!!! Christ they should really not put a sad scene at the very end of a film or at least leave the cinema dark so I could compose myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Average film lots of sentimentality. I really hate these types of films that try to tie themselves vaguely into the original so that its a proper part of the franchise. It actually has nothing in common with the original and in no way ties in with that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Not impressed. Was hoping for a war but when i saw the 12 rating before the start, i knew most would happen off-screen.
    Visually, it was excellent and there were some clever nods and easter eggs but story-wise, plot and over sentimentality were major let downs. It could have been as good by being an hour shorter too.
    The original is still the best and is the only one i will rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well I hope Joseph Conrad's estate got some serious royalties for that.

My feelings are mixed. I loved Rise and Dawn but I found this tough going at times. Partly because the actual story was so bleak and partly because it was just plain slow in places.

As others have said, Andy Serkis is a PHENOMENAL actor and the mo-cap is just amazing. (Kong is still my favourite performance of his, though.) Karin Karlin as Maurice actually outshone him in this, imo.

Woody Harrelson has been playing a parody of his most outre characters for years now. It was very tiresome.

Steve Zahn as Bad Ape was a lesson in characterisation but felt like he belonged in a different film, tbh.

I really, really wanted to love this but my overarching feeling is "Hmm".

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Pierre Boules' original novel has a thin enough story, Tim Burton's version is actually the closest to book story wise. I'd say all of the movies made to date, including those ropey ones made in the 1970's, are improvements on the original book.

After 9 movies, they've pretty much mined every conceivable idea, hopefully they leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Syphonax wrote: »
    Average film lots of sentimentality. I really hate these types of films that try to tie themselves vaguely into the original so that its a proper part of the franchise. It actually has nothing in common with the original and in no way ties in with that film.

Saw this last night and disagree with everything above.

Really enjoyed the film, don’t get how people can say it was boring,

As for sentimentality the movie is showing how the apes and their emotions are developing and humans are regressing over the 3 movies and Ceasar’s last scene with colonel summed that up.

The films are hugely tied into the original as they are set before it and show how the whole episode happened. Characters form this such as Cornelius and Nova appear in the original move and are young children in this so I don’t see how it’s not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

murpho999 wrote: »

As for sentimentality the movie is showing how the apes and their emotions are developing and humans are regressing over the 3 movies and Ceasar’s last scene with colonel summed that up.

The films are hugely tied into the original as they are set before it and show how the whole episode happened. Characters form this such as Cornelius and Nova appear in the original move and are young children in this so I don’t see how it’s not right.

the timeline does not support this. the original movie is set a couple of hundred years into the future.

• Advertisement

the timeline does not support this. the original movie is set a couple of hundred years into the future.

Yes, but we do not know how Cornelius's and Nova's timelines work out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, but we do not know how Cornelius's and Nova's timelines work out yet?

the nova in War could not be the same nova as the nova in Planet. Planet would have to be set at most 20 years after War for this to be true.

the nova in War could not be the same nova as the nova in Planet. Planet would have to be set at most 20 years after War for this to be true.

But if the spacemen can get caught in a time loop maybe something also happens with Cornelius and Nova.

I'm sure the writers have a plan for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Wedwood wrote: »
    After 9 movies, they've pretty much mined every conceivable idea, hopefully they leave it at that.

Given the brain-drain in hollywood and the success of trilogies/reboots/remakes, i could see another installment within 5 years.
    Squeeze an idea to the very last drop...

The films are not hugely tied into the originals in any way except for some vague name references, Ceasar in the new movie is a vague reference to Ceasar in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. The new movies dont tie in at all with the original films in any way shape or form. They are neither prequels or remakes.

The films are not hugely tied into the originals in any way except for some vague name references, Ceasar in the new movie is a vague reference to Ceasar in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. The new movies dont tie in at all with the original films in any way shape or form. They are neither prequels or remakes.

We have astronauts currently lost in space from a Mars mission... They left earth in the first movie... Got lost in the 2nd movie and are due to crash land on an entirely different planet earth in the near future... There's a cornelius and nova living on this planet.... The scene is set for a re-imagined planet of the apes

We have astronauts currently lost in space from a Mars mission... They left earth in the first movie... Got lost in the 2nd movie and are due to crash land on an entirely different planet earth in the near future... There's a cornelius and nova living on this planet.... The scene is set for a re-imagined planet of the apes

Like I said, they have nothing to do with the original movies, which are far superior films.

Like I said, they have nothing to do with the original movies, which are far superior films.

I just gave examples on the contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

But if the spacemen can get caught in a time loop maybe something also happens with Cornelius and Nova.

I'm sure the writers have a plan for this.
    the writer/director said its just a name reference,
    it gives a (mistaken) motivation for why they want to wipe out the apes completely.
    Still not clear how much effect the secondarry virus has , whether she could have written her own name for them

• Advertisement

I just gave examples on the contrary

Erm no you havent. All you have given is that the people who created the new films have given a 'nod' to some character names from the original films. There is no connection between them. Hollywood doesnt have a single brain cell to come up with new ideas and is just ripping of classics.

Advertisement