Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War for the Planet of the Apes

Options
  • 09-12-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭

If this is as good as the the other two in the series, I'll be happy.

The new Apes series is a prime example of what can be done to successfully reboot a franchise. In a sea of mostly awful remakes and reboots, it stands alone.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I doubt many people - myself included! - would have given this series much of a chance at the outset, yet has conspired to be an intelligent, robust and winning set of films - 'Dawn...' was one of the blockbusters of 2014 for me.

I think it helped that whoever is in charge of this franchise understood that success would hinge on how convincing the ape CGI would be & how much pathos and emotion could be drawn from motion-captured performances. Step forward Andy Serkis, who yet again leads the way and continues to be a name more deserving of awards than most.

In fact I'd go one further - assuming the third film doesn't fall off a cliff, I'd argue this is a series whose rebooted form is actually superior to the originals: because the Heston-led original aside, the Planet of the Apes franchise have been pretty crap all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, I was totally :rolleyes: when I heard about the first one being made, as I love the original 'Planet of the Apes' film, while not exactly liking the series. But, I've been gladly proven wrong with this reboot series. It's been excellent so far and agree completely that it trumps the originals.

And the CGI has been a showpiece on how to do things. Completely convincing for the most part and that remains very difficult to do with organic matter.

Genuinely looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I give a special exception for 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes', had the intelligence of Planet of The Apes and the modern reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

That new Apes movie looks pretty good.

I couldn't help thinking though it looked a bit familiar - furry creatures with bows and arrows overcome technologicaly superior human army.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭geecee

Wedwood wrote: »
    I couldn't help thinking though it looked a bit familiar - furry creatures with bows and arrows overcome technologicaly superior human army.

But the apes didn't have C-3PO as their fearless leader!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

first were pretty good I hope this one isn't too conventional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

First two films were fantastic and clever blockbusters. Reckon this will not dissapoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Really enjoyed the first reboot, the second was ok but not in the same league as the first imo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the second film was good up until the point of the attack. then it became like a bad 80's action movie with apes firing hundreds of rounds without reloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

yes it became way too drawn out, i thought it was a real let down, the first one i'd rank as one of my favourite films of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The first one is a brilliant film the second one has some really good parts to it too but also some parts you question. Like where did all the apes come from? It was only 10 years since the demise of Mankind and there was hardly that many apes in all the zoos in America. Thats hardly long enough for all the first baby's to be fully grown apes is it? The guns that don,t run out of ammo as a poster above said is another good point. In saying that I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to the 3rd film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Anyone else up for the apes? :)

Really looking forward to this. Absolutely loved the first film and thought the second was very good, though it did have some negatives as mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Movies like the last two are generally movies I absolutely hate.

Big budget, CGI heavy reboots/remakes but damnit, I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

The only gripe I'd kinda have is that I think they missed a trick between the first and second films.

The first ended with the apes escaping into the wild.

The second started in a world that was completely ravaged.

I'd have loved to see an in between piece to the puzzle.

Show how the world tried to deal with the problem initially and where we as a species ultimately fcuked it up which led to the apes been the dominant force.

Minor gripe though and I'm very much looking forward to see where the franchise goes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Movies like the last two are generally movies I absolutely hate.

Big budget, CGI heavy reboots/remakes but damnit, I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

The only gripe I'd kinda have is that I think they missed a trick between the first and second films.

The first ended with the apes escaping into the wild.

The second started in a world that was completely ravaged.

I'd have loved to see an in between piece to the puzzle.

Show how the world tried to deal with the problem initially and where we as a species ultimately fcuked it up which led to the apes been the dominant force.

Minor gripe though and I'm very much looking forward to see where the franchise goes next.

The apes dissapeared after the first movie. They are not the dominant force in the second movie, in fact humans didn't even know about them. What happened to humanity was that the virus wiped out most of us. The film you are looking for is essentially "Outbreak" but without the cure in the end. The second movie showed the initial conflict you are looking for between man and ape. It was one human colony in the ruins of San Fran vs the ape colony. I assume the third one showed how this war progressed and how (again I assume) the apes come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bacchus wrote: »
    The apes dissapeared after the first movie. They are not the dominant force in the second movie, in fact humans didn't even know about them. What happened to humanity was that the virus wiped out most of us. The film you are looking for is essentially "Outbreak" but without the cure in the end. The second movie showed the initial conflict you are looking for between man and ape. It was one human colony in the ruins of San Fran vs the ape colony. I assume the third one showed how this war progressed and how (again I assume) the apes come out on top.

You mean will show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

AMKC wrote: »
    You mean will show.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Big fan of Woody Harrelson, so I can't wait for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,466 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Can't wait for this. Hopefully another welcome addition to an already sterling reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That looks delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What channel will be showing this?

I just watched the film version of it today so interest has been aroused!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

The trailer looks great, hopefully round off a great trilogy. I hope some cinema shows the three back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Teaser trailer for the final trailer tomorrow (I know, I know) but this is really cool because of who narrates it.

I wonder if this will come full circle with the '68 original movie? I think all signs are pointing that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well we saw the ship launch in the first movie so it is highly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think that might be the first teaser for a trailer that was actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm hoping that with Woddy Harrelson added to the cast, he'll fix the only real problem I have with the series, utterly boring and uninteresting human characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

7 minutes long FFS.

Advertisement