Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH people, find me a new duvet please!!

Options
  • 08-12-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭

Ah I didn't know where to post this.

I need two new duvets.

Double beds. Where and what will I buy? Anyone got lovely duvets recently that could recommend? I am prepared to pay roughly 50 quid each.

I want nice ones, light but warm. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trekker09 wrote: »

Thanks Trekker, but the link ain't working.....

Thanks Trekker, but the link ain't working.....

.....sorry I was being smart not helpful :cool:

Think we got the current ones from Ikea. I'll check but they're the best we've had and weren't too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭paulbok

Homestore & More, but they may be gone because they are all gone.

Ah I didn't know where to post this.

I need two new duvets.

Double beds. Where and what will I buy? Anyone got lovely duvets recently that could recommend? I am prepared to pay roughly 50 quid each.

I want nice ones, light but warm. Thank you!

When I was a poor student, I got a lovely down/feather duvet in Ikea for about £30 (double). It was cleaned several times over about eight years, and was still going strong when I moved countries and abandoned it in my Granddads house, where it graces a spare bedroom.

Try Ikea in the NY sales, if you can wait that long.

• Advertisement

Trekker09 wrote: »
    .....sorry I was being smart not helpful :cool:

Think we got the current ones from Ikea. I'll check but they're the best we've had and weren't too expensive either.

OK, My fun radar is not working obviously!

IKEA is a bit too far away though for me, but I would do it if they are GOOD!!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Arnotts sale.

Effects wrote: »
    Arnotts sale.

Yep, on the cards.

But would you buy a duck/goose down or synthetic fibre one? I have synthetic now and they are great, but really need replacing at this stage.

Just wondered if there is much difference in the feathers and synthetics!

Am prepared to pay for them. They do last a long time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Duvet Know It's Christmas is being released in the charts soon. It's a cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I got a fleece one in Harry corrys a week ago, 70 (I'm sure) euro.
    It's like someone spooning you when you have it over you.

• Advertisement

OK, My fun radar is not working obviously!

IKEA is a bit too far away though for me, but I would do it if they are GOOD!!

Thanks.

Confirmation that they were procured from Ikea. Apparently she got a light one for summer and a heavier one for the winter at the same time. So good in fact that the question has prompted her to order another set for my son.:(

Yep, on the cards.

But would you buy a duck/goose down or synthetic fibre one? I have synthetic now and they are great, but really need replacing at this stage.

No comparison. The down ones are so light and warm, feathers are a bit heavier, but much cheaper. Most feather down ones are mainly feather and maybe 10% down, the pure down ones are very expensive. Feather/down is far superior to synthetic still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tesco's or Dunnes or heatons.

Duvets aren't elusive

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Candie wrote: »
    No comparison. The down ones are so light and warm, feathers are a bit heavier, but much cheaper. Most feather down ones are mainly feather and maybe 10% down, the pure down ones are very expensive. Feather/down is far superior to synthetic still though.

but if you have any allergies I'd avoid the down/feather ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Bigmickey.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm wouldn't be one for fancy continental quilts, but the IKEA ones are very good.

I got a fleece one in Harry corrys a week ago, 70 (I'm sure) euro.
    It's like someone spooning you when you have it over you.

Sounds lovely. What I'm after is a light duvet but very warm. I'm sure they are out there somewhere and yours sounds just the ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The duvet centre down on third. There's duvets r us , MaryAnnes duvets and um duvet hut.

IKEA is leading the pack. Pity it isn't near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The duvet centre down on third. There's duvets r us , MaryAnnes duvets and um duvet hut.
    I think you're lying. You should pull a duvet over yerself.

• Advertisement

Ah get up the Trump Tower FGS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

If you have an OH then I suggest getting one size up. It will hang over the edges a little, but my god will you be thankful on cold winter nights.

Duvet hogging will drive a man to insanity.

If you have an OH then I suggest getting one size up. It will hang over the edges a little, but my god will you be thankful on cold winter nights.

Duvet hogging will drive a man to insanity.

Two doubles on the one bed is the answer here. I know this now and it works brilliantly.

Hence, I need two new doubles! Each has their own....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Buy 50 euro's worth of confetti instead, when you wake up it will be like waking up in the middle of a celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Aren't birds supposed to suffer an awful lot for down to be used? I saw some horrific video on FB about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I once got to sleep under a silk filled duvet. It's the best thing in the world, ever. When I win the lottery, it will be the first thing I buy.

This is in no way helpful to the OP who wants to spend €50.

Thoie wrote: »
    I once got to sleep under a silk filled duvet. It's the best thing in the world, ever. When I win the lottery, it will be the first thing I buy.

This is in no way helpful to the OP who wants to spend €50.

Eh, no I will spend more if necessary. But silk duvets? Can I even buy them here?

I suppose I could get them from China via Parcel Motel or something, but honestly, it would be easier to get the flippin duvets HERE and bring them home in the boot of the car even if they are not silk.

But I take your point, silk is supposed to be great alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The last few I have had have been from Tesco. Not the cheaper ones but the ones a bit higher in price are light and snuggly. But there really is no mystery - I agree that Dunnes etc would be just as good. Get the highest tog rating (I prefer a 4 most of the year and a 10 for the winter, with a light throw over it.) 13.5 is the highest I think. And get a size bigger as someone else said. Singles are only useful for kids, doubles are just a bit big for a single bed, and king size is perfect on a standard double bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Eh, no I will spend more if necessary. But silk duvets? Can I even buy them here?

I suppose I could get them from China via Parcel Motel or something, but honestly, it would be easier to get the flippin duvets HERE and bring them home in the boot of the car even if they are not silk.

But I take your point, silk is supposed to be great alright.

I know Gingerlily is stocked in Brown Thomas, but not sure if that's the duvets or just the bedclothes. I did just see that you can spend over €1000 on a goose down duvet there though :eek:

The website I linked to delivers to Ireland, but that's not as convenient as putting it in the car and going home.

Homestore is good for being able to touch the duvets and see what they feel like. Dunnes usually has a good range. M&S and B&Q both do duvets as well.

The advantage of the synthetics is that you can wash the duvet, and they turn out OK. I have separate summer and winter duvets, and when I finish each season I wash and dry them, and vacuum pack them away. The summer weight one I can wash at home, but the winter weight one I send to a launderette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yep, on the cards.

I've always been into the down ones myself. I find the synthetic ones aren't as flexible and don't wrap around you the same way.

Advertisement