Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SmartThings FAQ.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

opus wrote:
    Anyone know if there's any difference between the sensors sold here vs the ones in the US? Friend of mine is heading there shortly & was thinking of asking them to get me one of the door sensors for ~$30 as opposed to €40 here.

My door sensor just fell off last week. The plastic clip holding it to the retainer snapped on its own.

IMO the power outlet is very good but the door and movement sensors are bad value. No way are they worth 40 euro. It's a 10-15 euro quality item imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Stiletto72

Roen wrote: »
    That's confirmed. I read the teams blog post. Also no v1 to v2 migration tool.
    The announcement is getting largely negative feedback throughout the various community groups.

I got the mail from them last week about the update for IOS and Android and queried where the Windows Phone update was and they confirmed that they are not interested.
    Pity because that was the main selling point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Kilters wrote: »
    Yes, they are different. They operate on different frequencies if you have the European hub.

Thanks for the info, should have know it wouldn't just work interchangeably.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So I picked up the SmartThing starter kit for £100 from Amazon and I've been playing around with it the last week.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just using the motion sensor and open/close sensor so far as a security system with SHM.

So far seems reliable, be obviously early days.

So far it isn't quiet their as a full alarm system, but further along then Xiaomi.

The pros as an alarm system versus Xiamoi:
    - Much easier and more intuitive to get set up in the app.
    - Supports three arm states, disarmed, armed home, armed away. While Xiaomi only supports armed or disarmed. So better, though I'd prefer if it supported more partial armed states. My ideal is:
    1) Disarmed
    2) Armed away (all sensors on)
    3) Armed Home Daytime (only door/window sensors, no motion sensors)
    4) Armed Home Nighttime (all door/window sensors + select motion sensors).
    - Notification of activation of alarm is very quick, as in a second or two.
    - You receive a notification if system is offline and armed too, I timed this and you receive the notification after 5 minutes. Xiaomi doesn't have this, a big downside.
    - Battery backup, a bonus, but remember your Wifi/broadband router also needs to be on a UPS to be useful, otherwise it will just fall back to that 5 minute notification.
    - Connects to your broadband by ethernet, so more reliable and less risk of jamming. Xiaomi connects by wifi, so not as reliable.
    - The motion and door sensors also read temperature, which is a nice bonus surprise.
    - Motion sensor sems to have decent long reach, a lot better then the Xiaomi motion sensors

Cons:
    - The hub doesn't have a siren, so you have to buy one, extra cost, but also has some advantages in making the system more secure. (can hide away the hub from the siren, making smash and grab less likely).
    - Sensors are generally much more expensive then Xiaomi
    - No entry/exit delay, at least not without hacking (seemingly possible I most look into it). Basically it needs to be armed/disarmed outside the house either by phone geofencing or manually on phone.
    - No keypad available for it, which I would really like to make a system like this family friendly, along with an entry/exit delay.
    - No sim card to use as a backup comms channel.

So close, but not perfect.

I think I'm going to do the following:
    - Buy at least one more Samsung door/window sensor if reduced again
    - Connect the Xiaomi sensors to it to give more coverage
    - Connect some of the Hue motion sensors to it, so that they can be used, for both Hue, but also as security sensors and for other automations.
    - Most buy at least one siren

Interestingly in the US, Samsung have released a new security panel with ADT, with SmartThings support built in that in some ways looks really awesome, and fixes many of the above issues, but has some major downsides too.

Note the ADT panel is NOT supported outside of the US. Firstly it uses frequencies not allowed in Europe.

Pros:
    - Has an awesome looking touchscreen tablet panel, that you can use for arming/disarming, it looks extremely easy to use and family friendly. Exactly what I'd like in this regard.
    - Supports both entry and exit delays
    - Has siren built into the panel.
    - Has battery backup in the panel.
    - Has SIM card for secondary backup comms channel
    - Uses it's own motion and door/window sensors which seemingly use their a different radio frequency then zigbee and a different protocol that makes them more reliable.
    - In addition to alarm system, it is a full SmartThings hub and can trigger, lights and other HA routines on entry/exit, etc.

Cons:
    - Very expensive for what it is
    - Using the SIM as backup requires expensive ADT monitoring plan.
    - Only the expensive ADT sensors can be used for triggering the alarm. Other sensors, including Samsungs, etc. can only be used for HA on it, but not for security. However at least the ADT sensors can be used for HA.
    But it does mean that if you already have an investment in Samsung or others sensors, they are a bit wasted in this set up and you need to buy more.

So overall, it looks like a really interesting system, specially the panel, but not quite their either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Haha, literally an hour after writing the above, SmartThings decided to make a liar out of me! :)

I just got a notification of an alarm activation from it. The door/window sensor opened. However I'm certain it is a false alarm.

I've a Logitech Circle Camera covering the same door and it shows no activity and I've also a Xiaomi door/window sensor on the same door and it shows that it didn't open. Plus neither the Xiaomi and Samsung motion sensor in the same room showed any movement.

So definitely a false alarm, luckily no siren yet, so no neighbours annoyed.

I suspect the issue might be that the design of this door forces a big gap between the sensor and the magnet. And the SmartThings magnet seems weak, the Xiaoi magnet is much stronger. I wonder if I use the Xiaomi Magnet with the SmartThings sensor, it might make it more reliable. Just a guess, I'll need to try it out.

However this does show the value of having different systems. If one system is having issues, you can use another system to double check. For instance I was able to check my home with the Logitech Circle cameras and also confirm the door sensors with Xiaomi. I think there can be value in not integrating everything or going with a single supplier.

So now I think I might change my plan and keep the Xiaomi sensors separate from the SmartThing system. A nice backup for a cheap price.

Actually I'm currently running 4 security system!

- Traditional, non connected, old HKC system.
    - Xiaomi
    - SmatThings
    - Logitech Circle Cameras!

Maybe overkill!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    So definitely a false alarm, luckily no siren yet, so no neighbours annoyed.

I've had this for a while. Two or three times the from door sensor was stuck on open. Had to reset it.

I think it's expensive for what it is but the hub and technology is great.

Stoner wrote: »
    I've had this for a while. Two or three times the from door sensor was stuck on open. Had to reset it.

I think it's expensive for what it is but the hub and technology is great.

Yes the door sensors at their normal price of £30 is too much for what they are. They were reduced to £18 two weeks ago which is more reasonable, though obviously not as greatly priced as the Xaiomi gear.

I think with a stronger magnet, it might resolve the issue with the door sensor, but it will be a few weeks until I can try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Figured with all the half price sales on Smartthings that I would give it a go.

Reserved a hub, motion sensor, leak sensor and a couple of multi sensors in Argos. Picked up the hub, leak and motion sensor ok but the date for the multi sensors has come and gone without any sign of the multi sensors, I'd say demand outstripped supply. Not much help from the local store who told me to forget about getting them so sent an email to customer services who have kindly extended the reservation date and said I can collect them from the Glasgow store up to the 27th :eek: Waiting on an update as Glasgow isn't much use to me in Ireland.

Set up the hub and other sensors ok and added Hive heating and bulbs and Hue bulbs all ok. Still playing around with routines etc. and if anybody can tell me how to set a routine where motion is detected it will put on a light for a set number of minutes that would be great:)

All seemed ok for the first few days but getting logged in to the classic app is hit and miss for the last day or two, either just kicking me out and not logging in at all. Looking at the community forums is seems a known issue with the EU servers.

I believe Samsung are releasing an update for smartthings so hopefully the reason for the outage because so far it is a bit temperamental.

On a side note I have added a device handle for the a Denon AVR using the graph.api but how do I go about showing/adding it to the classic app?

THE ALM wrote: »
    Set up the hub and other sensors ok and added Hive heating and bulbs and Hue bulbs all ok. Still playing around with routines etc. and if anybody can tell me how to set a routine where motion is detected it will put on a light for a set number of minutes that would be great:)

Add the "Smart Lightning" app under "SmartApps" and create a routine there to do this.
    All seemed ok for the first few days but getting logged in to the classic app is hit and miss for the last day or two, either just kicking me out and not logging in at all. Looking at the community forums is seems a known issue with the EU servers.

Yes it seems to be dodgy the past week and actually down most of today!

It had been very stable until now, I hope they sort it soon.
    I believe Samsung are releasing an update for smartthings so hopefully the reason for the outage because so far it is a bit temperamental.

From what I read the new app sucks and everyone hates it!
    On a side note I have added a device handle for the a Denon AVR using the graph.api but how do I go about showing/adding it to the classic app?

You add Device Handlers via the IDE which can only be done in the browser. I recommend looking for a guide on how to add device handlers. The first one you do can be a bit tricky, but once you figure out the concepts, future ones are easy.

thanks bk.

Will check out the smart lighting app and see how that goes although experimenting with webcore to hopefully get the same results.

Regarding the Denon device handler. Did have the device handler added just didn't add it as a new device in the browser also. Think there is a known bug in it anyway which crashes it when launched, not a big deal for me really.

• Advertisement

So, like others I've been having issues with sensors dropping off and needing to be re-paired. About one a week.

I've noticed that it only seems to effect the Multipurpose Door/Window sensors, I've had no drop off's with the motion sensors.

Actually now that I think of it, the motion sensors are less then 2 meters from the Samsung Hub, the Multipurpose sensors are further away, about 5 to 6 meters. So maybe it is an issue with distance from the hub.

Anyone else notice the same issue with the motion sensors? Or if it might be distance related?

Zigbee uses 2.4GHz, same as wifi, so could also be interference with wifi routers.

A pity it has this issue, otherwise it is quiet nice system, but this issue is annoying and stops it from being recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have you changed battery in them recently?
    They only play nice with certain manufacturers.
    Don't have them as far away from the hub as you so can't say on that.

paulbok wrote: »
    Have you changed battery in them recently?
    They only play nice with certain manufacturers.
    Don't have them as far away from the hub as you so can't say on that.

All but one with the original batteries. Thanks

bk wrote: »
    So, like others I've been having issues with sensors dropping off and needing to be re-paired. About one a week.

I've noticed that it only seems to effect the Multipurpose Door/Window sensors, I've had no drop off's with the motion sensors.

Actually now that I think of it, the motion sensors are less then 2 meters from the Samsung Hub, the Multipurpose sensors are further away, about 5 to 6 meters. So maybe it is an issue with distance from the hub.

Anyone else notice the same issue with the motion sensors? Or if it might be distance related?

Zigbee uses 2.4GHz, same as wifi, so could also be interference with wifi routers.

A pity it has this issue, otherwise it is quiet nice system, but this issue is annoying and stops it from being recommended.

Have a couple of motions sensors, multi sensors, water leak sensors and just added a couple presence sensors yesterday.

Motion, multi and leak have all been working fine and haven't dropped off once. Hub is in the utility room with a leak sensor in the neighbouring kitchen under the sink unit about 3 metres away, multi sensor about 6-7m away and two motions sensors are in bedrooms through several walls.

Adding the phone as a presence sensor is another story. Had it added no problem but started playing up so removed it and haven't been able to re-add it since, always get a 'could not create mobile presence device' so if anybody has any suggestions let me know?

I am actually keeping an eye on the konnected alarm which integrates with smartthings and now home assistant. Unfortunately the house isn't pre-wired for an alarm so would mean having to run wires for various sensors, burying them in walls and all the mess this would entail so weighing up is it worth the hassle!

Motion, multi and leak have all been working fine and haven't dropped off once. Hub is in the utility room with a leak sensor in the neighbouring kitchen under the sink unit about 3 metres away, multi sensor about 6-7m away and two motions sensors are in bedrooms through several walls.

Now that I think of it, the SmartThings hub is close to my wifi router, might be causing interference. Repositioning it elsewhere in my place might help resolve it.
    I am actually keeping an eye on the konnected alarm which integrates with smartthings and now home assistant. Unfortunately the house isn't pre-wired for an alarm so would mean having to run wires for various sensors, burying them in walls and all the mess this would entail so weighing up is it worth the hassle!

Yes, it does look interesting. Though I picked up a deal on a Yale Smart Alarm System. Seemingly it can partly be integrated with SmartThings. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll update on it once I've it set up and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Any further comments on the SmartThings hub? I am considering picking up the starter kit on amazon but i'm not sure what I would use it for unless I get the konnected alarm. Alexa can control my bulbs and sockets so what other advantage does this hub have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Ionised

Just an FYI but Samsung have just released a new version of the hub and associated devices. Might be worth waiting a week or two if you are considering the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Ionised wrote: »
    Just an FYI but Samsung have just released a new version of the hub and associated devices. Might be worth waiting a week or two if you are considering the system.

Thanks I looked at some reviews and it looks like there is very little difference with the v3 hub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

New hub can connect to router via wifi. v2 is wired.

Advertisement