Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SmartThings FAQ.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Doodoo wrote:
    So did I. Got a relay switch separately also so I'll be able to control my heating

I picked up one of those cheap eBay I it's for 10 euro . Due in on Jan 5th. If it works out I'll use them as inline lighting switches

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Stoner wrote: »
    I picked up one of those cheap eBay I it's for 10 euro . Due in on Jan 5th. If it works out I'll use them as inline lighting switches

If it works as planned stick up a link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

bk wrote: »
    Great to hear that the hub sold here is v2. But still double the price of the US.

Does anyone know if the US hub is otherwise exactly the same as the EU hub. I might look into getting one the next time I'm over there.
    From what I can tell the US version is pretty much identical and they all support 110 - 240v so apart from changing a power cable it should be okay to use in Ireland. 
    With regard to pricing the hub by itself is a lot more expensive in Europe than the US, but the starter kit on Amazon UK works out to be pretty good value.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blacknight wrote: »
    From what I can tell the US version is pretty much identical and they all support 110 - 240v so apart from changing a power cable it should be okay to use in Ireland. 
    With regard to pricing the hub by itself is a lot more expensive in Europe than the US, but the starter kit on Amazon UK works out to be pretty good value.

Yeah, I'm going to probably pick up a hub the next time I'm in the US. But to be honest I'm not sure yet what exactly I'll use it for. Which is why I held off on buying the amazon deal, which in fairness as you say looks like good value if you need/want those sensors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The US and EU ones both talk back to different endpoints.

https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com/

versus

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/

Apparently there's more stuff enabled on the US servers. I had to hack in my Netatmo weather station but if you have one of the US ones you can just add it via the interface.
    I've come across other stuff too. Think it was with one of the zwave sensors.

How that will affect you I do not know! I assume you'll just end up hitting the EU servers due to location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Blacknight wrote: »

Zwave frequency is 868 in the EU and 908 in the US so they would be different voltage aside

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone get 433 devices working via a simple USB add on. I can do it by linking the API controlling the devices but I've some 433 MHz kit that I'd like to add without using an API or the option of adding an Arduino to the mix

I got this last night and hooked it up.

Very happy so far.

Added hue to it and linked up Alexa and google home.

Some work on the lightwaverf, nest protect integration to happen.

Canary status added over IFTTT and a wink link, not really worth it.

I like all the sensors and the sockets in the kitchen bar the motion detector, it's range is too short for me.

Four issues cropped up with mine over the last week.

1. Lighting automation was taking anywhere from 30s to 4 minutes to trigger. Making that particular automation unusable.

2. Battery level for one of the Zwave sensors dropped suddenly to 0% from 100%. The sensor is still reporting back though and has not failed to trigger Open/Closed. So the reporting is amiss rather than the battery being dead.

3. The multi sensor that shipped with the starter kit is now reporting -72C as the temperature at the patio doors. It's not -72 inside my kitchen.

4. Vacation Lighting Director (randomise Hue lighting when away) just won't work at all.

Bit disappointing to see that.

On the plus side I have my Nest Protects, the Netatmo Weather Station and Hive heating all shipped into it. None of those are natively supported on the EU side and needed creating Smart Apps and device handlers (copy and paste from GitHub and some config to suit your set up). The Netatmo station is natively supported on the US side though.

Mixed bag so far.

Roen wrote: »
    3. The multi sensor that shipped with the starter kit is now reporting -72C as the temperature at the patio doors. It's not -72 inside my kitchen.

Removed and reset the device and re-added it. Worked for while but back to -72. So got on to support and they are shipping a new one out.
    Not too bad to deal with at all.

• Advertisement

OK so this is up 2 days now, the multi sensor on the front door stopped reading at 20:30 today, it registered the door being open but it's remained open, it's installed correctly.

Not a good start imo.

OK so this is up 2 days now, the multi sensor on the front door stopped reading at 20:30 today, it registered the door being open but it's remained open, it's installed correctly.

Not a good start imo.

Try plugging in the power outlet nearby even if you have no use for it. It'll repeat the signal from the door.
    Other than that the remove and reset trick might do it.

Remove it via the app and then:
    To get your Multi Sensor re-connected head into the SmartThings app, tap on Add a Thing in the Marketplace, remove the battery from the device and then:
    * Press and hold the button inside the sensor
    * Re-insert the battery
    * Release the button as soon as the LED turns on

That battery won't want to come out easily I can tell you. A small flat head screwdriver and a pen for the button will come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Not a good start imo.

Had trouble with mine over the last few days. It was reading as closed constantly, once more and I'll get in touch with smartthings.

Removed and reset the device and re-added it. Worked for while but back to -72. So got on to support and they are shipping a new one out.
    Not too bad to deal with at all.

Got the new sensor yesterday, less than a week turnaround, not bad.

Quick heads up. Seems to be a leaky battery issue on the v2 hub. Particularly with the supplied Rayovac batteries but not limited to that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Quick heads up. Seems to be a leaky battery issue on the v2 hub. Particularly with the supplied Rayovac batteries but not limited to that brand.

Ooh, Samsung and batteries again!!

Ooh, Samsung and batteries again!!

They're not having the best run of it I have to say!

Roen wrote:
    They're not having the best run of it I have to say!
    Have to say it's a bit cheapy

That's confirmed. I read the teams blog post. Also no v1 to v2 migration tool.
    The announcement is getting largely negative feedback throughout the various community groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

After getting a few Amazon vouchers for xmas, I picked up the Samsung Smartcam to tie in with my Smartthings hub, very annoying that there's almost no integration as ideally I'd like it to turn on/off motion detection based on the system being set to armed/disarmed.

Contacted Smartthings support but they just confirmed what I thought.
    Our current integration with SmartCam doesn't allow us to utilize the native SmartCam motion detection capability. Meaning that this wouldn't be possible via the SmartThings integration, unfortunately.

Should have done more reading beforehand I guess.

opus wrote: »
    After getting a few Amazon vouchers for xmas, I picked up the Samsung Smartcam to tie in with my Smartthings hub, very annoying that there's almost no integration as ideally I'd like it to turn on/off motion detection based on the system being set to armed/disarmed.

Contacted Smartthings support but they just confirmed what I thought.

Should have done more reading beforehand I guess.

I'm struggling to find something that'll integrate fully with ST and that has the list of requirements I have for a baby monitor.
    Very disappointing that Samsung's own offering won't integrate when some other stuff (some Arlo cams) will!

On the leaky battery issue, I checked mine during the week and they were fine.

I made a mental note to change them anyway as they were Rayovac, which seem more susceptible to the issue. Got back to swap them out earlier and sure enough, leaking!

Best things for me from the starter kit is the socket and the presence detector that I have on my keys, the motion detector and multi sensor look, feel and operate like something you'd pay 5euro from on eBay.

The lightwaverf integration stopped working now too, you need a rPi to translate between the hub's ( unless I'm wrong)

Firmware update getting pushed out today, partially to address the leaky battery issue.

Roen wrote:
    Firmware update getting pushed out today, partially to address the leaky battery issue.

It's in my calendar for 16:00 , lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Best things for me from the starter kit is the socket and the presence detector that I have on my keys, the motion detector and multi sensor look, feel and operate like something you'd pay 5euro from on eBay.

The lightwaverf integration stopped working now too, you need a rPi to translate between the hub's ( unless I'm wrong)

I find the sensors fine, esp the door sensors.
    The presence sensor is of no use to me as our mobiles work better as one. Had it in the car as a security device but the battery ran down after two months, doesn't like temp changes apparently. Never bothered replacing it

I was going to integrate other devices into the ST environment but going to set up a home assistant server soon as the triggers, rules etc on ST don't always suit.

paulbok wrote:
    I find the sensors fine, esp the door sensors. The presence sensor is of no use to me as our mobiles work better as one. Had it in the car as a security device but the battery ran down after two months, doesn't like temp changes apparently. Never bothered replacing it

My door sensor just started to work again by itself.
    I still think the motion sensor is poor, the built in one on the nest protect has a much longer range.

I've the presence detector on my keys. So if I lose them at home I can set the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone know if there's any difference between the sensors sold here vs the ones in the US? Friend of mine is heading there shortly & was thinking of asking them to get me one of the door sensors for ~$30 as opposed to €40 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

opus wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any difference between the sensors sold here vs the ones in the US? Friend of mine is heading there shortly & was thinking of asking them to  get me one of the door sensors for ~$30 as opposed to €40 here.
    Yes, they are different. They operate on different frequencies if you have the European hub.

Advertisement